Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does sleeping well with a good proportion of deep sleep enhance weight loss?

I have certainly noticed that a good night's sleep usually results in weight loss and increased energy levels so I am trying to stick to a consistent bed time and a few pages of a good book before dropping off to sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

"Does sleeping well with a good proportion of deep sleep enhance weight loss?"

Yes @pcrw. For me anyway, consistency in sleep has been a great help in losing weight, and here's why: Most of the times I overeat, especially emotional eating, is because I'm moody, or irritable, or full of self-pity. When I feel like that, I just don't give a flying goose and I eat eat eat.

When I am properly rested, I get moody and full of self-pity much, much less frequently. I think in a much more objective manner, and find it easy to eat correctly. 

So, even apart from any physiological reasons as to why sleeping well assists weight loss, I answer an emphatic "Yes!" 

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think sleep is huge for weight loss

• Reduced fatigue reduces stress hormones that lead to cravings and emotional eating
  • Pie hole is not engaged in face stuffing when asleep
  • Brain activity during REM sleep increases glycogen consumption and fat molecules get converted to CO2 and water at 4 times the rate compared to laying awake
  • More sleep means better recovery from exercise which make it easier to continue to exercise
  • Sleep deprivation lowers base metabolic rate during and after
Best Answer