Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit is a great tool, but it doesn't do the work for you

I have always been active, running 4 days a week and lifting 3, but as my job took me out of the field and into project management, (office work), my daily activity dwindled. (Bagels, donuts and cake in the office didn't help). 5 lbs. gained a year isn't hardly noticeable until you look back on 6 years and realize you're 30 lbs. heavier... To top it off my blood sugar was 218 with an a1C of 9.0.  I was using apps the whole time, (Strava, My Fitness Pal, Garmin and Fitbit depending on what tracking devices I had at the time. They're great tools, but don't rely on them to solve your problems for you. I've gone from 207 on Nov.5 to 170 this morning, (Feb 19). Work up a diet plan based on sound principles, not fads. Figure out a workout regimen and stick to it, no excuses. We've gotten too reliant on technology. Don't let your tools dictate your behavior.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Congratulations on your weight loss @Sblmgtrmsl I'll bet your blood work has improved as well.  As you say, bagels, donuts, cake etc at the office doesn't help; neither, in my case, does beer or pizza!  I've always been active as well, but paying attention to diet and being mindful of what and when I'm eating is really what mattered. And I still like my Fitbit, Strava, Garmin, and other gadgets. Also, my bathroom scale.  Feedback is better than denial.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Sblmgtrmsl I echo the congrats on your weight loss and agree completely with your perspective. I too have fallen in some bad behaviors over the past 2 years and have been finding my way out for the past 2 months. I have lost the weight I have gained over the past year, now on to lose the pounds from the year before that. I am at a healthy weight now and look OK, but I am more comfortable 5 pounds from current weight, so onward to that!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

The office snacks are a killer! I've gained about 10 pounds since starting at job in July. No bueno. As the weather gets better and the days are getting longer I'm getting back into my good habits. My diet it KILLING me though. . . literally. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I said I wasn't going to weigh again the amount I weigh again today.  I'm going on a diet this afternoon.  I'm small so I'm going to try to lose 12 pounds by Christmas.  Honestly that is like 20 pounds for bigger people.  

Best Answer

I'm even fatter today (as usual on a Monday.  But the instant we decide on a goal our life changes they say so I'm started.  If we discipline ourselves today we will enjoy tomorrow more.  Everything big starts with something little.  Everything counts in moving us closer to or further from our goals.  The cumulative effect of the smallest choices are enormous.  And persistence is a habit----so is quitting.  Lets persist not matter what.  The choice of giving up or going on is a defining moment in our lives.   It is 11 Am and I only ate some gummy vitamins so far.today. (50 calories).

Best Answer