Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit suddenly showing high calorie burn

Here are my numbers

Current weight: 159 Lb

Height: 5ft 3 inch

I have been using fitbit for over a year and on day-to-day basic fitbit shows my calorie burn around 2000. When I go to the gym, 20 min cardio and 45-60 min of other low intensity training, my calorie burn goes up to 2200-2400. That sounds right.

Since the last 3 weeks, I have been doing cardio on a treadmill for 45-50 minutes and my calorie burn was still at 2400 which did not surprise me. However, yesterday fitibt showed calorie burn of 3981 with exact same 50 min cardio. What could have caused the sudden jump? I remember seeing calorie burn at 1800 around 7.30 pm. How could I have lost another 1100 calories in my sleep?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

IMO, the Fitbit calorie estimates are high, possibly grossly high. I don’t even pay attention to them

Best Answer
0 Votes

My problem is that it suddenly jumped to double for one day. It didn't seem too far before.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you post your activity graph for the "normal" and the "abnormal" day? I mean this one (found here:

2019-03-13_0746.png

It will let you see how your activity spreads over 24 hours, in 5 minutes increments.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pictures below for abnormal day followed by normal day. You can see that the difference in #of steps is only 4K but calorie burn shows additional 1700 calories burnt.Abnormal DayAbnormal DayNormal DayNormal Day

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it’s strange. The calories graphs for both days look very similar, in terms of distribution. What do you get if you put your daily calories and daily steps for the past 30 days, like I did in this other topic? In my case, calories and steps move pretty much hand in and: low step day -> less calories burned, high step day -> more calories burned.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same for me. Less steps, less calorie burn. More steps, more calorie burn.

I wonder if this has anything to do with daylight time change (Although I would expect the bug to show up on Sunday, 10th March instead of Monday). Maybe fitbit somehow added calorie burnt for two days. If that's the case, many users will have the same issue. Not just me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CalUser2018 -- Check to see if your body weight is correct on March 11.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

No change in body weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes