Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frusrated !

Can anyone help me out on this !! I have been on a pretty stick diet and have been losing weight every month but the doctor visit today didn't go very well 30 days and only 1 pound and I only missed two days of walking ! What can I do to help myself ???

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @BraxtonsMom! You mentioned that you only missed one day of walking during the month, and only lost 1 pound. If your frequency of walking has increased over previous months, then what's happening is likely to be an increase of muscle mass in your legs - which for many people would actually increase weight. I'm thinking you're probably losing fat, losing size, and feeling better - but your developing muscularity in your legs (tied to your increase in walking) is "freezing" the number on the scale. 

But don't worry - you're still getting fitter and losing fat, and the scale weight loss will kick in soon.

My two cents, anyway. Don't give up!

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

I've been trying to lose weight all summer and just in the past week lost 1 1/2 pounds, so you're not alone. Actually I've been on this journey for 2 years and have lost less than 15 pounds. There can be a lot of reasons, like medication that causes weight gain, thinking that you eat less than you really eat, weight gain from muscle mass (rather than fat, which weighs less). 

Here's a few things that have helped me, though.

- logging EVERYTHING I eat in Fitbit's log. When I stopped doing this I gained weight back. Pay attention to things that come in a bag, because its hard to estimate how many you actually eat. When in doubt, overestimate how many you think you ate.

- participating in challenges with other Fitbit people. I find that extremely motivating and I've made some good friends

-  posting in some of the weight loss community groups, and reading others tips and downfalls

- ask your Dr. if any meds could be making it hard to lose

- measure yourself once a month. As long as my measurements are getting smaller, I'm happy, even if my weight isn't going down

- lift weights or do other workouts. When I tried walking more and not going to my gym it didn't work for me.  I started doing weight workouts at least twice a week and after a few weeks I dropped some,

- weigh every day and use a weekly average.  so many things can cause temporary weight gain - water retention, your period, wearing heavier clothes... 

Good luck, and don't give up!

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

@DJC_63 -- Great suggestions!

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
0 Votes

@tractorlegs wrote:

Hi @BraxtonsMom! You mentioned that you only missed one day of walking during the month, and only lost 1 pound. If your frequency of walking has increased over previous months, then what's happening is likely to be an increase of muscle mass in your legs - which for many people would actually increase weight. I'm thinking you're probably losing fat, losing size, and feeling better - but your developing muscularity in your legs (tied to your increase in walking) is "freezing" the number on the scale. 

But don't worry - you're still getting fitter and losing fat, and the scale weight loss will kick in soon.

My two cents, anyway. Don't give up!

No way is just walking building up significant muscle mass to equal weight lost by losing fat.

What's really happened is that you are pretty darn close to your equilibrium, so you either need to step up your game (walking alone isn't cutting it) or adjust your diet.  

Best Answer