Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gain weight based on a protein diet

Hello hello folks! Heart 

I would like to increase my muscle mass, and I found that in order to do that, I need to follow a high-protein diet.  Protein is very important 'cause It builds lean muscle tissue, and that's how you get big. Without protein, it's like trying to drive a car without gas. You need around 1-2 grams per lb of bodyweight, and 30% of your diet will be just enough to get you big.

With a diet rich of protein, you will grow and feel better. Protein is found in meats and poultry. Be careful and avoid meat with the white stuff on it. That is saturated fat, and no good for your body or health. Red meat is perfect for getting big, but also contains saturated fats. Eat beef only 2-3 times per week and make sure to cut off all the visible saturated fat.

As we all have an idea, Tuna and other fish are great for lean protein. Below you'll find a list of protein-rich foods:

- Tuna
- Salmon
- Chicken Breast
- Beef
- Pork Chops
- Turkey
- Egg Whites
- Beans and pulses
- Soya
- Pistachio nuts
- Yogurt

granos 2.jpg   carne.jpgleche.jpg

In addition, you can follow an exercise routine to gain muscle mass. 

masa muscular.jpg

Have a wonderful day! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

@HeydyF wrote:

You need around 1-2 grams per lb of bodyweight 

It’s already hard to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, but 2 grams would be near impossible for me. What I have usually seen as a recommandation for a high-protein diet is 0.8 to 1.0 gram per lb of bodyweight.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@HeydyF wrote:

You need around 1-2 grams per lb of bodyweight 

It’s already hard to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, but 2 grams would be near impossible for me. What I have usually seen as a recommandation for a high-protein diet is 0.8 to 1.0 gram per lb of bodyweight.

Depends on what you are trying to do.  The .8 to 1.0 is adequate for most normal adults.  If you are trying to build lean muscle mass then 1.5 to 2.0 will provide greater gains over the same time period.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

Depends on what you are trying to do.  The .8 to 1.0 is adequate for most normal adults.  If you are trying to build lean muscle mass then 1.5 to 2.0 will provide greater gains over the same time period.

See this thread from a few months back on protein intake recommendations. Maybe what you have in mind in 1.5 to 2.0 grams per kilogram of bodyweight?

Otherwise, if you take an adult male weighing 180 pounds, I’m really puzzled as to how he would be able to eat 360 grams of protein day in day out.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually, it's 1.5 to 2 g per kilogram of bodyweight, making it 0.5 to 0.8 g per pound.

Which is pretty easy to do if you eat a well-balanced diet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

While I agree with the recomendations for a normal adult.  If you want to build significant muscle mass and remain lean the 1.5 to 2 per pound is a better fit.  Can a normal person get to that level? probably not as it takes a significant amount of work and it's not very cost effective.

538 did a great summary on Mark Websters experiment:  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rock-dwayne-johnson-diet/

He's coming in at around 1.5 to 1.8g per pound and The Rock (who he's trying to emulate) comes in at >1.9

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

538 did a great summary on Mark Websters experiment:  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rock-dwayne-johnson-diet/

He's coming in at around 1.5 to 1.8g per pound and The Rock (who he's trying to emulate) comes in at >1.9 

So basically what we have here is some unknown blogger who decided to start an 30-day experiment where he’s eating and training like The Rock. I’m not sure what is it exactly he’d like to prove, but any results from that experiment would be merely anecdotal evidence. It’s not a scientific study that establishes eating 1.9 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight will result in xx% more muscle mass being added than with 1.0 gram.

He did post before and after photos of himself on his blog, but I don’t really see what point they are making. Building muscle is a slow process, and no matter however you eat and train during 30 days, there’s only so much new muscle mass that can be added in that time.

Real scientific studies show 0.8 gram per pound of bodyweight is the amount of protein that can be used for muscle protein synthesis. Anything on top of that is just extra calories that will be used for energy or stored as fat.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

The protein is per kilogram, not pound. 

protein.JPG

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

The protein is per kilogram, not pound. 

You can express intake in relation to bodyweight whichever way you want: as grams per kilogram of bodyweight, or as grams per pound of bodyweight. It’s just a matter of agreeing about the units being used. Scientific literature will usually use metric units everywhere, but it’s not uncommon to see grams per pound.

The US RDA is 0.8 g per kg of bodyweight. This is 0.36 g per lb of bodyweight.

The recommendation in the Nordic countries is 0.8 to 1.5 g per kg of bodyweight for adults. This is 0.36 to 0.68 g per lb of bodyweight.

Athletes looking to maximize muscle mass (e.g. bodybuilders, powerlifters) commonly eat 1.8 g per kg or more, which is 0.8 g per lb or more.

You are entitled to believe some recommendations are too high, just like I’m entitled to believe some are too low. Most of us live in a free world: it’s not like someone is pointing a gun at us and forcing us to eat a given amount of protein. We make educated decisions based on what we believe is good for us.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique

Some were using the value/kg as the value/lb which more than doubles the requirement. I understand conversions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I personally eat 1g per pound of bodyweight and have since April of this year with my Carb intake at .75g to .80g percpound of body weight. I lift weights 5-6 days a week and do cardio on avg of 3 days a week and I am down 20 pounds as of right now abandd have also gained some muscle mass

Best Answer
0 Votes

My question is .... what is my food ratio on the counter. Today it reads 21 carb 23 fat 56 protein. Is this a good range ? Please let me know. Ty. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Miastle wrote:

21 carb 23 fat 56 protein. Is this a good range ? 

It depends on what you are trying to achieve (e.g. lose/maintain/gain weight, or lose fat, or gain muscle etc.), your activity level (e.g. mostly sedentary, quite active, very active), the kind of exercise(s) you are doing (e.g. mostly cardio, mostly resistance training, both) etc.

What is your total calorie intake? What is your current weight?

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm on a 2500 calorie intake with a 1000 cal deficit. I want to lose weight fast. I'm 180 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to make sure: are you saying 1) you are eating 2500 calories and in a 1000 calorie deficit (total energy expenditure: 3500), or 2)  your energy expenditure is 2500, your deficit is 1000 and you’re therefore eating 1500?

Asking, because for a 180-pound female to burn 3500, you must be young (which you likely are), tall and very active. And if eating 2500, 56% protein (1400 cal. / 350 grams) would be extremely high.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I'm eating 1500 but sometimes less. Thank you for clarifying lol. I'm new to all this. Appreciate your patience.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, thanks for clarifying. That sounds much more likely. So 56% of 1500 is 840 calories or 210 grams of protein. This would be almost 1.2 grams per pound of bodyweight, very high indeed. Carbs would be 86 grams and fats 35 grams.

I would say your protein intake is unnecessarily high, even if you are doing a lot of resistance training. You would probably benefit from decreasing your protein (for instance, to 0.8 g per lb, which would still be sufficient for maintaining lean mass and providing satiety) and filling the gap with more carbs (to fuel your activity). For more info on the role of, and requirements for each macro, check the lecture on macronutrients in this other topic.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes