Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get rid of the junk foods

ANSWERED

So, one of the best things I learned for maintaining a better diet was to remove all junk foods from my home. I took them all and gave them away. I then replaced them with healthy alternatives. Instead of eating chips, I am eating nuts, berries, salads, and spinach. Instead of drinking soda, I got a water cooler for my home and I am drinking more juices without added sugar.

You can't eat unhealthy if you have nothing unhealthy to eat. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I recently listened to an entertaining (and educating) podcast (50 minutes) with Dr. Brian Wansink that touched on the subject. Excerpt: “It’s easier to change the environment to work for you than it is to use willpower”. One example he gave was a “kitchen makeover” that included getting rid of problematic foods (or hiding them away / putting all of them in a single cupboard), but many other less obvious measures.

Wansink is also the author of two books – Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think and Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life – that got me interested. Has anyone read either of them?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Yep did this a long time ago

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I recently listened to an entertaining (and educating) podcast (50 minutes) with Dr. Brian Wansink that touched on the subject. Excerpt: “It’s easier to change the environment to work for you than it is to use willpower”. One example he gave was a “kitchen makeover” that included getting rid of problematic foods (or hiding them away / putting all of them in a single cupboard), but many other less obvious measures.

Wansink is also the author of two books – Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think and Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life – that got me interested. Has anyone read either of them?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I'm usually okay with them in the house, but I store a lot of items in clear glass jars - including sweets.  I noticed that if the jar was on the counter, I would want them more. When I moved them to the back of the pantry I rarely thought about them. So yes, I would agree - it is easier to change your environment than to rely on willpower.

Best Answer

I have teenagers so for me that isn't an option because although they eat well and watch their weight ( girl vanity and wrestling class weight(boy)) they still like their snacks. I just make sure I have my snacks as plentiful as I have theirs. I do however have really good willpower. I make the decision to eat or not eat so there isn't guilt or the feeling of being deprived.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks for the useful resources, I love learning more about these sorts of things 

Best Answer
0 Votes