Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting discouraged

ANSWERED

F50. SW: 155 CW:154 GW:130

I am getting very discouraged. I started a new fitness and diet regime Jan 1. I do an IFit workout in the morning (usually 30 minutes of cardio) and a Fit Body Boot Camp in the evenings after work for 30 minutes. I am also tracking all calories and macro's every day and am staying in about a 500 calorie deficit every day (sometimes little more but never less). I use a tracker and log everything so I am sure as to what I am expending in calories and taking in. Expect for the initial water weight loss of 2 pounds I have not lost a single pound in over 3 weeks. In the past 2 weeks I have actually slowly started gaining about .2 pounds per day. I am on the verge of giving up b/c I feel like I am sacrificing a lot to see absolutely no results. My clothes don't fit any differently so I don't think it can be explained by gaining muscle or just toning up b/c I see no evidence of that either. I am due for a 30 day body scan Friday to be sure on that but I know my clothes don't feel any different. Please help or offer some advice!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I agree 100% with @Tiptonsa to hang in there. I worked out for years with no weight loss, but I got fitter. My doctor finally decided to look at my thyroid, which was low, but technically normal, and after a dosage adjustment, I started losing weight. I am not saying you have a thyroid issue, but that we need to take the long view on fitness being good for us, regardless of our weight or size. I'm 5'9" and went from 265 to (a mostly solid) 205, during the pandemic, so it can be done. Thyroid meds helped, but I regularly log 8-10 hours at the gym each week with weights and cardio.

I would also say that one month isn't very long. You're still trying to poke you body into changing the way it processes food and exercise. I don't recommend using the calories expended to calculate a caloric deficit kind of diet. At best, the calories burned is what I would call a very rough "guess-timate". I try to be mindful of the sources of my calories, and not eat processed/packaged food, etc (and I still cheat). However, the calories burned CAN give you a relative idea of whether you're working harder/longer, or not.

Use the fitbit stats to help you crank up the intensity (calories burned, active zone minutes, etc) of your workouts over time. Try to balance your workouts between the fat burn, and cardio/peak zones (which primarily burn carbs). Build muscle, which burns more calories, and lastly, be sure to have some epic cardio workouts to get a sustained caloric burn (EPOC), even after your workout. The key is workout intensity and duration.

Good luck and hang in there!

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Holly1125,

Hang in there. You started out with exercising as well as watching your diet. So the pounds may not fall off immediately, since you are building and toning muscles, but it will come off eventually. Also remember, the slower it comes off, the slower it will get back on. So over all you are rocking it! Keep up the good work!

Best Answer

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

Best Answer

I've been 14 stones almost every day for months! I understand how you feel Holly. I can't do as much as you as I'm 81 but for my age I think I do well- walk daily go to gym and swim 2 or 3 times a week Log all calories (500 less a day)  Since January I'm trying high protein,lowcarbs but today still dead on 14 on scales. You just need to hang in there If you give up you could gain weight and feel really miserable.I won't give up and by the end of this week am determined to get down into 13 stones and take it from there I will also change to a different diet regime so my body doesn't get used to one way of eating.I suggest you change something as doing the same thing gets you same results! Eat more fruit, drink more water, increase protein ,add an extra walk into your week- anything to shake things up. You are doing so well health wise I'm in awe of how much you do and would love you to keep going. It's only one month so give it more time and hopefully things will be better soon x

Best Answer

I am in a similar boat here, I started on Dec 6th and by Jan 3 I had lost 10 lbs.  I was going down a little each day and on Jan 22, I had lost another 5,  ever since I have been up 2-4 lbs from that low.   Frustrating when the scale does not validate our efforts.   Since you don't have a  whole lot to lose, understandably you are going to lose slow and that is a good thing.  You started both a vigorous exercise program along with a reduced calorie food plan.   With the cardio you are doing and the boot camp workout, I have to believe you are building muscle even if you can't see any change.   The increased high intensity exercise can make your body hold on to a lot of water to keep your muscles cool.   I got a recumbent bike on Jan 3rd, and I have been working on doing 30 minutes a day.   Like you, I am frustrated, upset, and working hard not to be discouraged,  I am just going to keep going and sooner or later my body is going to have to start letting go of the weight.     

Best Answer

Well done soon your weight loss- It's always an achievement. I agree with what you said to Holly ( I hadn't noticed her start weight) It's never easy or understandable the way we lose/gain weight when we're trying our very best but glad you're not giving up!

Best Answer
0 Votes

YEAY made it back into the 13 stones- been eating around 50-60 grams of carbs a day- supposed to give rapid weight loss- after months at same weight I've lost 2lbs in 5 days

Best Answer

That is great news! So happy to hear that. I finally broke below the 150 pound range, though barely. But I am quite happy with that. Slow and steady right?

Best Answer

I agree 100% with @Tiptonsa to hang in there. I worked out for years with no weight loss, but I got fitter. My doctor finally decided to look at my thyroid, which was low, but technically normal, and after a dosage adjustment, I started losing weight. I am not saying you have a thyroid issue, but that we need to take the long view on fitness being good for us, regardless of our weight or size. I'm 5'9" and went from 265 to (a mostly solid) 205, during the pandemic, so it can be done. Thyroid meds helped, but I regularly log 8-10 hours at the gym each week with weights and cardio.

I would also say that one month isn't very long. You're still trying to poke you body into changing the way it processes food and exercise. I don't recommend using the calories expended to calculate a caloric deficit kind of diet. At best, the calories burned is what I would call a very rough "guess-timate". I try to be mindful of the sources of my calories, and not eat processed/packaged food, etc (and I still cheat). However, the calories burned CAN give you a relative idea of whether you're working harder/longer, or not.

Use the fitbit stats to help you crank up the intensity (calories burned, active zone minutes, etc) of your workouts over time. Try to balance your workouts between the fat burn, and cardio/peak zones (which primarily burn carbs). Build muscle, which burns more calories, and lastly, be sure to have some epic cardio workouts to get a sustained caloric burn (EPOC), even after your workout. The key is workout intensity and duration.

Good luck and hang in there!

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

Love this! Thank you. Great advice. 

Best Answer

Well done on your loss- No matter what people say we like to see results on the scales! You started a good discussion here 

Best Answer
0 Votes

F63.5 SW: 197 CW:194 GW:147

I am experiencing the exact same, released 5 lbs in four weeks, with exercise and better eating habits.  Maintaining that routine and yet it's coming back.  So discouraged I want to eat everything in sight.  If I was at least "holding" at the what was 192, now 194, I'd be happy but going back up the scale isn't what I want to see.  Like you, no change in how the clothes fit and nothing else evident.  How have things been since January 26th?

Best Answer

Not too much difference. Scale did drop about 3lbs but 1lb came back so down 2. I do think my tummy is slightly smaller but clothes still feel same. 🤷‍:female_sign: 

Best Answer

Hi Holly I followed my own advice and changed food intake to around 50grams of Carbs a day. I used to lose weight when younger on high protein diets Since starting last Monday I have gone back into the 13s from 14.0 3/4 and today was 13st 11 3/4 lbs which is amazing for me I'm seeing a daily loss of 1/4 to 1/2 a pound. I'm eating masses of veg instead of potatoes or rice I sometimes add a few noodles 50g to stir fries Also have eaten Cod, Salmon or Prawns as main meal last 5 days Calorie intake has been around 1200 per day for 5 days and 1600 for 2 days. Keep on going but as I said before change something to get a change in weight

Best Answer
0 Votes