Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halloween to Winter Holidays Challenge

Hello everyone and welcome to the Halloween to Winter Holidays Challenge!! We'll tally up Dec 31 and start the New Year running! (or walking, or swimming, or biking, etc). There are many people who kinda disappear during holidays so I want to cover as much ground as we can while we can and be here over the next 8 weeks for these trying times!! 

We can post (daily/weekly) about our weight and non-scale successes, share helpful tips, support each other and talk about our ups and downs.  The following abbreviations can be helpful to use:

USW - Ultimate start weight

SW - starting weight for the challenge

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight

GW - goal weight for the challenge

UGW- ultimate goal weight

To join, please simply post and you are in! Have a great time, let's get this going!

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer
132 REPLIES 132

Well I am not gonna lie... My weekend did not go well for me and food.. I cheated a lot and I know I will pay for that tomorrow on the official weigh day! I could just mimic what @March55 said.. I KNOW what to do, I just don't do it and I can not figure out why...I know how much better we felt when we were walking everyday and were eating better. I just don't know why we can not get back on it. Woman Frustrated

We can not even use weather as an excuse, as we have a weigh bench, 2 treadmills, and an Air Glider all in our living room... So we should be able to get some walking and exercises done, but we are not. I told my husband, I do not think we have been home for more than 8 hours time which was what I call AWAKE time...lol. We get up, get cleaned up and leave with in 30 minutes of being up, we come home and hit the shower and then the bed.. It seems all we do is run run run errands and church functions and grandchildren functions and family functions, Shew it will just wear you slap out. We rushed yesterday like crazy... Went to church, met our daughter for lunch, went to help the church set up for a last minute wedding, (long story), then had cake and Ice cream with the couple, the ran to get a bed and stuff together so the newlyweds would have a bed to sleep in, since this all popped up last minute.. and then still was after 9 when we got back home last night. I helped my boy study spelling words for a few minutes and then shower and bed, to start all over this morning... Got up and was out of the house before 7 this morning and will get off at 5 today and 3 of my granddaughters are cheering this year and tonight is there first game, so of course I will leave work at 5, get home around 5:45 and then have to be back to their school by 6:45, so my guess is we will meet them for dinner before the game and then it will be bedtime again before I get home.. This is a daily cycle for me and I honestly do not know how to break it...Tuesday will be the same thing... I work til 5:30 and then have to go straight home and get a bedroom suite that I am giving my mom and get it to her house and set up in her spare room, because she is having company next week and need a place to sleep.. So we will set that up tomorrow night. Wednesday and Friday of this week, I have to go out of town, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home and will be gone all day each day and be home in time for bed...lol.. So I am not counting my chickens before they hatch, but hey Thursday MIGHT have a few free minutes in it.. Who knows.Well now that I have bored you with all my boring crazy crap...lol, I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@HeartBiller I think you need to figure out how to say "No. I can't do that. I'm tired." And rest. You have no energy to give to yourself and your needs (like eating better and exercising). I once asked you if there was someone who could help you by making healthy meals in advance so you didn't have to get take-out but you said there wasn't. Surely, one of your church friends or kids or grand kids could take on that task as a favour to you since you do so much for everyone else. It's about your health and your ability to keep on giving. You can't do that when you gain weight back and grow sluggish. 

Now, we had a discussion one time about your grandson's sporting event and taking that opportunity to walk outside while he played. I know he wasn't too thrilled since he wanted your attention on him, but you now said your granddaughters are cheering. Are you able to walk around the field during the game? Or, instead of going to dinner before it, maybe get there early and walk and then eat (something you bring from home) during the game. *shrug*...I'm just trying to brainstorm. I struggle with this stuff too. We all do. Imagine us all there poking you in the ribs when your butt is on the seat though! LOL.

Best Answer

The all women gym I work out at 5:30 in the morning with a personal training is closing. I have been going there for 6 years or more. The owner is very compassionate and strong advocate for women's health. It is a little scary for me to find a community of like-minded people who work out and make healthy choices when eating. Trying to find something at 5:30am is kind of tough. I workout with my gym buddy so I can be accountable. I need to find a place for both of us. We support each other. Gotta make a back-up plan.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I had three hours sleep. Not good. My brain wouldn't shut off, due to stress about that upcoming neurology appointment next week. Sigh. 

I didn't get a huge amount of steps yesterday, just went to the pharmacy and then later took my dog to the vet, but even those 6000 steps caused my foot to ache all night. The arch support I have doesn't seem to help and it's specifically made for that. My bursitis was acting up too, so I think it's just my body ache time.

Weather has turned damp too.

So, I dropped another 1.5 lb since my plateau appeared to break. I'm hoping to keep up the loss, even with less activity. My house is a freaking dis-organized mess! I have to get working on it since my son is coming home for holidays and he needs a room! He also has allergies and I got a shedding dog and cat since he moved away. Stocking up on benadryl!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sandmotors  That throws a wrench into the works for sure!! You don't need routine disruption. Sorry this is happening. We have a couple of 24 hr gyms in my town but they aren't women-only. I hope you find what you need or can create what you need. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey I would like to join this Challenge. Good Luck to all! 

USW - 225lbs

SW - 190lbs

CW - 190lbs

PW - 193lbs

GW - 180lbs

UGW- 145lbs

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dani2124 Welcome! You are doing a great job! Keep it up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone - this is my first time posting in the Fitbit boards. Looking to take part in this challenge as I'm the heaviest I've ever been and definitely feeling the effects. Checked my weight / BMI today for the first time since June, and am now sitting in the obese category which was a real eye opener. Joining this Challenge as I'm looking to utilize my Fitbit more for losing weight by upping my step count while also improving my diet, and getting back to tracking calories. 

SW - starting weight for the challenge:  71.9 KG (today)

GW - goal weight for the challenge: 68.9 KG

UGW- ultimate goal weight: 58 KG

Best Answer

Woohoo! I went to water aerobics tonight and I feel good. Instructor played disco-y dance music from 70's. Can't help but wanna move! I'm finding my heartrate is low in the pool but I'm hot, huffing and puffing, working hard. I'm thinking my waterproofed fitbit blaze isn't tracking properly in the water. I'll have to figure out a way to test it. I don't want to buy another fitbit specifically for the water when this one was waterproofed. 

I was witness to three young teens harassing and assaulting a man on my street though. I had my phone out and snapped a pic but I should have filmed. At least the camera scared one kid into pleading with me, saying he didn't do anything. His buddy walloped the man, who turned out to be a childhood friend of mine I haven't seen in 35 yrs. Kids in packs are so dangerous. Why don't they have homework?? 

I got 8400 steps today without hurting my foot too much (5000 in the pool). I'll do ice and stretch and rest it the rest of the night. But I'm starving and have a lot of calories available still. What to eat...hmmm. 

I hope everyone had a successful day!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Slow week for me, but at least I'm still loosing.  The Holiday hectic has started and I'm having trouble making time for exercise.  But at least I'm keeping to my step goal (5K every day).

USW - 295

SW - 271

CW - 268

PW - 271

GW - 260

UGW- 195

Best Answer
0 Votes

I need to be better about posting! Its been two weeks and I haven't done much in the way of eating better and exercising. I'm going for a run today (prob mostly walk) cause I need to get back into it. I was at my parents house for the past few days staying with my dad (who has dementia) while my mom went to stay with my uncle in the hospital (he just had back surgery) so I didn't move around a lot other than keeping an infant from getting into to many things! I'm going to try and get back on track this week and hopefully stay on it during the holidays next week. We'll see how it all works out.

USW: 185lbs - April 2015

SW: 183.8lbs - Jan 29, 2017

PW:164.3lbs

CW: 164.8lbs

GW: 155lbs

UGW: 125-130lbs

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did some foot and shin stretches before getting out of bed this morning. The ice last night and stretches has helped so far today with the plantar fasciitis. I did some housework and took the dogs for their individual walks. That will have to be enough on-foot activity since I don't want to strain the injury. After a few very bad seizures I tried to have a nap this afternoon but it didn't work out so well. 

I made a roast and I have to put it away or be tempted to have too much of it. haha. 

@HeartBiller  how are things going for you this week? Is it Thursday already??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yesterday at work, we had our early Thanksgiving luncheon. So much food. The only vegetable was corn. They had to bring all the desserts on a cart cause there was so much. I brought a quiona salad. I have staying away from sugar after coming off an 8 week challenge called the "Whole Life Challenge". I was doing so good. I had desert and felt terrible. It was my run day. I did interval running. I was so tired. I got up this morning to do my 5:30am swim. I was determined to do my swim. Now at work they are bringing out all the left overs. Lord, help me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sandmotors  The only vegetable was corn? It's really a grain, isn't it? Not even a veg. Sorry you didn't have much choice and couldn't partake, but you made a good choice by bringing your own food. Yay for swimming.

Best Answer
0 Votes

check in.  Have not been a good girl.  has been raining, I'm tired and fussy - and no real excuse - but have not been getting my steps in and way over eating.. If I keep this up Santa won't come!

yesterday - didn't realize my fitbit was out of power - so no steps recorded and today - forgot to put it back on..  

So making a pledge to my community, when I get off work - put the fitbit on,  start recording what i munch on, and stay away from large helpings for Thanksgiving..... 

HOPE everyone is doing much better !  I'm very disappointed in myself for just saying I'll do it tomorrow. --- ok confession is suppose to be good for the soul, - repent and get on track.

Have a great weekend all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, the weather is crap! Snow, rain, high winds, not able to take the dogs out for a walk. My sister stopped by when she got off work early, so we did some shopping. There is a baby shower tomorrow and the mom is diabetic so we bought some stuff that everyone can eat. All healthy. There will be no cake or sweets or anything junky. I think I'll do an online exercise video for a while this evening since I have only 3200 steps, and none of it at decent heart rate. Hoping my foot won't suffer. It's been pretty good today.

Need more water too. Hope everyone is doing great.

@HeartBiller  It's FRIDAY

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sister and I took a walk in the natural park on the city limits. I love it there. We took my dogs. They are now worn out and sleeping deeply. Yay for energy-burning. We took a beautiful trail that was soft underfoot with debris...so these feet were not strained at all. I wish I had a car to get out there every day but I'm not allowed to drive. I've inserted pictures. Now, it's Nov. 19 and normally here we are covered in some snow or it's frosty or everything is so crunchy and cold. But, it was 54F/12C and things are still growing. This is unheard of!! 

6500 steps. Enjoy the nature of a Canadian nature park!

Mushroom growing next to mossMushroom growing next to mossNovember what?? No snow?November what?? No snow?

Best Answer

Last week was very hard as my brother-in-law (sister's husband) passed away very unexpectedly. I did no cooking, lots of fast food, not much walking but lots of hydration.

I have to take this week one day at a time as I still have not processed all my emotions (tried to be strong for my sister and her sons). He was much closer to me than my real brothers usually are. He had been in our lives almost 45 years, this week would have marked their 41st wedding anniversary.

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

1stCSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) First Challenge Starting Weight

2ndCSW - 210.8 (4/18/17) Second Challenge Starting Weight

3rdCSW - 212.0 (5/31/17) Third Challenge Starting Weight

4thCSW - 209.8 (7/4/17) Fourth Challenge Starting Weight

LSW - 209.0 (9/04/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW- 206.4 (10/31/17)

LW- 207.6

CW- 209.0

GW- 200.0 (January1st)

UGW- 150

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cele21 This is so tragic! I'm sorry to hear this happened in your family. When you are able to take time and get off the fast food/junk, make sure to clean out so you don't perpetuate the junk food cravings. So many triggers there, I find. It's great that you are keeping hydrated.

I'll think of you today.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Beautiful. It gets so dark here in Chicago. By the time I get out of work at 5:00 it is so dark. But, I do get a chance to run outside in the forest preserve on Saturday mornings.

Best Answer
0 Votes