Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you lost weight since you got your Fitbit?

I am the exact same weight as I was when I got my Flex 3 1/2 months ago!

How about you?

I'm hoping with Spring here and Summer around the corner, that my walking will increase. 

Moderator edit: title

Best Answer
1,791 REPLIES 1,791

I've had my FitBit Charge 2 since December 18th.

At the end of November, I was down to 290. December I went up and down from 290-293. But today, WHAM ... the scale said I was 288. Yesterday, I was 291.

I started at 420 last December 2016. I'm currently 288. That's a loss of 132. My goal is 250. Once I get there I'll reassess my situation.

I workout 5 days a week, doing weight lifting, and cardio on the concept2 rower for 30 minutes.

This new year, I am gonna re-dedicate myself to losing this next 38 pounds. I also have a feeling that this 38 is gonna be harder than the last 132. But so be it, I am not in a race.

Smiley Happy

Best Answer
It should not be any harder.  Adjust your calorie intake or calorie expenditure.  So many calories equal weight gain or weight loss.  You can do this.  It sounds so wonderful what you have done so far...color us proud of you.
Look at how you can adjust calories without losing healthy eating habits.  Try dark chocolate, mushrooms and blueberries for metabolism boosters...worked for me.
Frann Marple
Best Answer

Hi Guys,

After gaining a few kg in past few months, and sleeping around 3 hours a night due to external stresses, as well as moving to the city from a tough desert mining environment, I've now dropped almost 6 kg in 17 days due to change in diet, reduced food intake (monitoring calories in/out, and not eating after 10pm), exercising every day (usually on the bike), cutting out sugar and most low-GI carbs, as well as monitoring my sleep patterns. 

Have both FitBit Charge 2 and Ionic.  Although the programming of these devices seems rather crude and clunky (call me FitBit if you need help) the information and motivation they provide has prompted a change in lifestyle. The pre-Fitbit blood test from the doctor also certainly helped on that count! 🙂

Try to reduce your stress, that's a big factor, especially when you're not a teenager anymore.

Stay strong!

Dr B

Best Answer

I am now 7 months in and after a flat month in November, I have started to lose a little again.  I have now lost 19lbs and I am starting to feel the benefits.

Best Answer

@Shadowsforbars wrote:

I am now 7 months in and after a flat month in November, I have started to lose a little again.  I have now lost 19lbs and I am starting to feel the benefits.

@Shadowsforbars -- Great job on the weight loss, keep it up!!! 

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

Hi there, I am new here and hoping for the best.

Best Answer
Watch what you eat...don’t over do portions and walk or do some sort of exercise.  A life style change is wonderful for losing weight and keeping it off.  Don’t let anyone get to you when they say, “one won’t hurt you”.  It might.  I count calories because I know I can’t be trusted to eat the right amount without doing so.  It is hard at first, but after a  while it becomes second nature.
FM
Best Answer

Yes. Because I use the calorie/food tracking part of the app, log all my food, and always eat at a deficit. Sometimes I'll overeat and use the pedometer to help me figure out how much I need to walk to offset 200-400 excess calories. Mostly, though, it's the calorie control that the Fitbit gives me that has made the weight loss happen.

Best Answer
This is what I did/do as well.  Always do your best to be in the deficit count of calories for the day and you have to lose weight.
Frann
Best Answer

Hi Rnda,

I see that your post was in 2015, and that you hadn't lost any weight in the 3 1/2 month period ...

Are you still using fitbit and logging my calories each day, making sure not to have more "ins" that "outs"

I am finding the same problem, and am wondering whether the calorie count is accurate?

Hope to hear back : )

Best Answer

Thanks for your feedback ... I am hoping this is the case with me. In the past I yo-yo dieted and lost immediately, but did not maintain the weight loss. This time I am excited to be using a fitbit and counting calories "in" to make sure that calories "out" are higher each day. Perhaps it is a case of building muscle first???

Best Answer

Thank you for your feedback ... this means something to me now ... I have chosen to reach 8000 instead of 10000 (to start with) and have kept my calories "in" lower than calories "out" and have fallen just short of the 8000 mark each day. So perhaps for my body type, I have to reach the 10k mark each day to begin to lose!?

Best Answer

My calories "in" are much less than the calories "out" - no weight loss!

Perhaps fitbit's calorie counter is not quite right?

Best Answer

@Linda888 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback ... I am hoping this is the case with me. In the past I yo-yo dieted and lost immediately, but did not maintain the weight loss. This time I am excited to be using a fitbit and counting calories "in" to make sure that calories "out" are higher each day. Perhaps it is a case of building muscle first???

From your other post here - there is no magical step count that causes weight loss.

Diet is for weight loss, if done right only fat loss, if done wrong includes muscle mass.

Exercise is for heart health and body transformation, if done right it'll help fat-only loss, if done wrong it can help muscle loss.

Only thing exercise helps for diet is causing you to burn more compared to if you didn't do it. So it may help you to adhere and sustain.

So would you rather eat 2000 - 500 deficit = 1500.

Or would you adhere better on 2500 burned - 500 = 2000 eating goal.

And no to the muscle mass idea - oh if it were only that easy - it's not.

But most people forget there is something else besides fat and muscle, and that is another component of LBM (Lean Body Mass), and calories has no impact on it.

Water weight fluctuations. It's why side effect of exercise is rarely weight loss, but gain, for many water reasons.

And to your post about eating "much less" than you burn - what does that mean exactly?

Extreme diet is a stress to your body - get ready for upwards of 20 lbs of cortisol related water weight gain. That should be a stress too, huh.

You say you are eating less than you burn.

How exactly are you logging what you eat to know that?

Do you weigh everything that goes in your mouth, and confirming the database entry you are using?

Measuring, cups, spoons, ect - is for liquids only.

Grams is for everything else, and what servings size is based on.

Now - the Fitbit can be inaccurate depending on what you are allowing it to track calories of.

Any HR-based device giving HR-based calorie burn on lifting, intervals, basically anything non-aerobic and with HR bouncing around - is inflated.

If that is 15 min 3 x weekly - big whoop, not the problem.

If that is 1 hr 6 x weekly - problem.

If the device keeps kicking into exercise mode doing HR-based calorie burn during your daily moving - then inflated.

If your stride length in reality is much shorter than default setting, so your daily distance is much greater, than inflated calorie burn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I have lose about 40lbs in 4 months and Fitbit have help a lot. It keep me motivated.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I have lose about 40lbs in 4 months and Fitbit have help a lot. It keep me motivated.

Wow!! Congratulations! Great job. 

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
Yes, this is great.  I have had lots of success as well.  You just have to follow an exercise program (walking for me) and watch your calories.  It has to work if you don’t cheat.
Franniema
Best Answer

I've had my Fitbit Charge HR for a year. (I'm 64 , male) I didn't get serious about loosing weight until last summer. I'm an engineer with a desk job, & I had a knee replacement, which makes running off-limits.  I weighed 258 lbs. & my doctor informed me my blood pressure was creeping up (140/80).  I joined a gym in August 2017 (Fitness Planet) in our town, & started going 5 days/week. By mid September I lost 8 lbs. In November I added MyFitnessPal app to my phone which makes tracking calories easy. Mid December I was down 20 pounds, & resting heart rate down from 60 to 54, & blood pressure down to 125/70.  My weight is now (Jan12/18) 234 lbs, & I am just 9 lbs from my target of 225 lbs for March 6,2018. (we're going to Cancun for week vacation.)

Best Answer

I have lost 60 pounds in the past year after wearing a fitbit for two years.  To be honest, I didn't really loose weight until I changed my diet.  Don't beat me up by saying this, but exercise does very little when it comes to losing weight.  It's all about what you put in your mouth.  This article is completely correct for me.  Just sayin'.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/health/thin-factors-jampolis/index.html

Best Answer

Couldn’t be further from the truth, all the Fitbit does is help us along, just like the Apple Watch and other pedometers etc

for some, the Fitbit gave us that push we needed and that continuous motivation to keep moving, along with MyFitnessPal, eating right

without the Fitbit, exercise was on and off for me, I’d get bored after a while, but now with the community, challenges etc, I’m more focused 

it will be interesting to see what happens when I hit my weight, hope that everything continues as it is now, just less competitive 

Best Answer