Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Healthy and Safe Weightloss

I'm 54 years old and I'm trying to get fit, tight, and toned.  I have lost some weight with my Fitbit but I need to do programs that are easy on the joints.  Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Every woman wants to get "toned" Smiley LOL. What "toned" really means is build a decent amount of muscle and shed enough subcutaneous fat so your hard-earned muscles becomes visible. The way to build muscle is to engage in some kind of resistance training, e.g. weight lifting (you can also use your body as weight, e.g. with TRX). Is it something you are doing or have considered doing? For cardio fitness, the elliptical would fit the bill as something easy on the joints. I personally prefer walking outdoors, because I’d already be bored to death after five minutes spent doing the same thing on a stationary piece of equipment. If walking is safe for your joints, this would be my recommendation. Plus it’s Fitbit-friendly and will get you all the steps you need for challenges and all. All the best with your endavour, and 54 years isn’t old, btw!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Swim!  There must be a YM/WCA or other facility with a swimming pool within 5 miles of your home.  

Best Answer

The only way to get "fit, tight and toned" is to lower your body fat percentage and increase your muscle mass by lifting weights. There's no other way unless your one of those people who has a natural athlete's body. If you can't lift free weights because it's hard on the joints, use the machines at the gym or do resistance training using body weight only. Once you think you can add in some weights, buy some 10 lb. dumbbells and/or a kettle ball and do bent over rows and kettle ball swings at home. Start light and do high reps until your muscles give out. This ensures that you are indeed building muscle.

I've lost 30 lbs since January and I'm pretty thin at 129 lbs. But now I want to start getting "tight and toned" as you mentioned so this week I started incorporating more weight training in with my cardio. I'm finding that it's harder to gain a pound of muscle than it is to lose a pound of fat but I'm willing to put in the work to transform my body. 

BTW - I thought this post was going to be about how many pounds you should lose in a week to be considered "safe weight loss".

Best Answer
0 Votes