Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's what 1000 calories per day can look like.

Have you thought that 1000 calories per day would be miserable? Think again. Here's a link to an article describing it. And just to be clear, I am not suggesting that everybody consume 1000 calories per day. Some of the patients referred to me are prescribed that, but it by no means is for everyone. This is just to illustrate that it may not be what you've thought. https://journal.thriveglobal.com/this-is-what-1-000-calories-looks-like-e8bc84a639fc cThis is what 1000 calories per day can be.This is what 1000 calories per day can be.

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! For the pics to even be calorically correct the piece of meat is like 2oz, 2 asparagus, a piece of bread, and whatever other garbage that is there.... That's a little off the chain and maybe not the best nutrition advise... But hey what do I know, I've only been training peeps for 31 yrs. 🤔💪🌴😎

TrainerMike.ms@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

@trainermike wrote:

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! For the pics to even be calorically correct the piece of meat is like 2oz, 2 asparagus, a piece of bread, and whatever other garbage that is there.... That's a little off the chain and maybe not the best nutrition advise... But hey what do I know, I've only been training peeps for 31 yrs. 

🤔💪🌴😎

What do you know? Apparently, not much. The ingredients, their weights, volumes and caloric values are listed right in the article. I know because I prepared, photographed, and regularly eat these delicious and nutritious meals. You have made it clear you are not qualified to advise anyone about food, fitness, scientific investigation or anything at all. You provide misdirection. To call fresh wholesome food "garbage" reveals ignorance and to malign my integrity, vetted by medical and academic giants, reveals your carelessness with facts and your poor character.  You are a trainer of 31 years? You need stop presenting yourself as a qualified teacher of anything and get a real education and credentials as a provider of instruction and counseling.

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
0 Votes

People are different. They have lots of different goals and ways of accomplishing them. I don't often denigrate other people's approaches, I do try to understand and incorporate what makes sense to me.

In the end though, whatever works and keeps you healthy,... works.

Personally, on the path to where I am now, I tried focusing on exercise while paying less attention to diet,... It's an approach, lots of people do it. For me, I got hungry. It worked for a while; you really can eat 5000 calories in a day, as long as you burn 5001. My personal problem was,... when I got hurt (or bored), the appetite remained and the weight returned.

I think the root of this is perception. I can look at a thousand calorie meal (that I weighed and calculated) and not feel deprived, or think that an 8 ounce steak (380 calories) is nothing. Unless you measure calories (and Fitbit does make it easy to measure) it is difficult to really grasp how many calories one is consuming. It's why there are so many people who feel like they eat nothing, maintaining a calorie deficit, and can't understand why they are gaining weight, while still feeling hungry.

The simplest, most likely answer to why a person maintaining a calorie deficit isn't losing weight is that they are not. Calories from between meal snacking aren't free. Healthy, natural foods are more filling; you can eat a steak or a glazed donut, but you'll be hungrier after the donut,... and I do occasionally choose the donut.

The 1000 calorie idea, and others discussed here and in William Anderson's books are helpful, and I for one am glad in these times that I consistently weigh far less than I used to.

When whatever works and keeps you healthy,... doesn't, these are good places to go for ideas.

Regards,

To be clear, I do eat more calories to compensate for those burned during exercise, rather than exercising less.

Best Answer

@trainermike wrote:

Ok Willian, you've got my attention. I have some statements and questions for you and would love a response. First off. Do You Like Apples?  You should eat more of them ... Ok, let's chat

I normally wouldn't waste my time, but I see you're an "author" of a nutrition book or something, lol so I'll play along. Yes, 31 yrs of hands on, in the trenches trial and error: Rutgers's University, and a Pro Bodybuilder and soccer player. Sure, I made many mistakes along the way, all to get to this point of knowing my Shart! So explain your reasoning for those food and how they apply to all populations. First off, you were very clear in saying that everything was "FRESH". you need to explain that because What I know is that almost every food you have listed is processed. How much sodium and saturated fat were in that breakfast? oh I forgot, none, cause they're not egg's, What color is that egg product supposed to be? What was that ooze coming out as well, Velveeta? cause real cheese doesn't melt like that unless you make a rue. So you were saving you Saturated fat for Joey D's,(which sucks BTW) and steak for dinner.... If you think good nutrition advise is GO to Joey D's and get a Hot Dog on a bun with a diet coke and pickle. Yeah that's sodium free, I'm sure. Plus do you know how many people have adverse responses to artificial sweeteners? You should Google it. Then have a steak with dinner with I cant believe it's not butter? Saturatered Fat with man made fat, NICE! ... and because you have 3 asparagus in the pic its all good?. Have you heard of EFA's it means Essential Fatty Acids! Where are they in this day? Where is the nutrition, ie Vitamins and minerals? You left out the part where if you don't take a Multi vitamin you'll be deficient in basically everything. This is a hoax diet that makes people believe that nutrition can be easy. Well you know what. Eating heathy is hard work and any shortcut you provide is just to make people believe you know some special trick, when there is none. You have to make solid choices and ultimately cook REAL foods for yourself. It's all about the hard work and discipline you put in not dirty shortcuts!  You're probably one of those guys that were saying Avocado's and Coconut oil were bad back in the 90s and promoted margarine over butter... Now you're saying they're a Superfood. And the fact that you're promoting I Can't Believe it ]'s not butter is absurd. You ever hear of Kerrygold? You wanna talk nutrition, I'm Good to GO! Let's hear your argument and show me the DATA and people you've had results with and I'll provide you with my data and hundreds of personal training and nutrition success stories. You ever train a female natural Pro Bodybuilder? It's one of the hardest nutritional profiles to negotiate. Or maybe someone with MS or HL. You think that diet will work for them?

How Bout Them Apples?

Mike, read everything at my website, my articles at Medium, The Huffington Post and my book. Get educated. I'm not going to engage in social media chatting with you and your foolishness. If you want personal consultation, which it seems you are seeking, there is a button to apply for it at my website. But read all that I mentioned first. If you don't want to do that, don't waste time with trolling and chatting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Send me some links and I'll continue to research

TrainerMike.ms@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

@trainermike wrote:

Send me some links and I'll continue to research

Read the article. All the essential links are there. Google "The Anderson Method" and "William Anderson, LMHC". You'll get pages of links you can click on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see you're in Sarasota, coincidentally I  live here as well and provide the majority of the Siesta and LBK peeps with their training and nutrition programs. If you'd like, I'm local. You can find me at SRQ Health and Fitness on 41 and I'll give you a free session and we can talk nutrition. No hard feelings.

TrainerMike.ms@gmail.com
Best Answer

@trainermike wrote:

I see you're in Sarasota, coincidentally I  live here as well and provide the majority of the Siesta and LBK peeps with their training and nutrition programs. If you'd like, I'm local. You can find me at SRQ Health and Fitness on 41 and I'll give you a free session and we can talk nutrition. No hard feelings.

Glad to know you, Mike. No hard feelings here too. Stay well!

Best Answer

I ate 1000 calories a day (well, I started at 700-1000 range and gradually worked myself up to the 1200s) and it WAS miserable. I was tired, every time I stood up my blood pressure was low and I’d lose my vision for a couple seconds, I ended up with vitamin B12 and vitamin C deficiencies, and I could never eat delicious food around me when it didn’t fit into my “diet plan”. Nope nope nope. Never again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes