Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Challenge! Maintain or lose but do not gain!

ANSWERED

I read that the average person puts on 6 pounds over the holidays and doesn't ever lose them.  Let's not let that happen to us!  This challenge will run through December 31st!  Here is the challenge:

Pick a goal for how you plan to eat through this challenge.  It is your choice but some examples might be giving up all processed foods, eating mindfully, eating plant based diet, etc.

Choose an exercise regime you will commit to do daily.

Stay accountable to the group by reporting in daily or if you can't do that just report as often as you can.

Who is with me??  Let's do this!  Here is my commitment to the challenge:

I am eating 90% plant based diet with no processed foods and limiting salt.

I will walk enough to get 10K steps a day 

Best Answer
171 REPLIES 171

So great to see this!  GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!  I am definitely in! I want to lose 100 lbs by next december and then keep it off!  Holidays are so hard for me. I am a carb-aholic and a junkie, but usually a good vegetarian. Holidays are soooo hard for all that!

GOOD LUCK WE CAN DO THIS

Best Answer
Thank you for sharing that. Many times I started something and many times I have allowed myself to give up because I though it was impossible. What an inspiration that individual is and what a thoughtful person you are for bringing that story for us to view. I will keep his story in my heart and in my mind...
Best Answer
I would love to take part in this challenge. I will make sure I walk 10,000 steps daily, I will not eat processed foods, be aware of sodium and drink plenty water.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Got it! Thank you Zylithium!

Best Answer

Welcome to new folks!  Glad to have you on board with us.  Last year this time, I fell off the wagon and it took me till September when I got the fitbit to feel motivated to get back on the wagon.  This year, I am determined not to gain the weight I have lost back and to continue eating and exercising.  Getting to the end of the year without gaining will be a good accomplishment for all of us.  

Roma, you are my second fitbit friend this week to get a colonoscopy!  Hope it all went okay! 

I am still sick with a cold and actually feelig even worse today.  Diet has been good.  Had carrot, kale, beet, ginger and apple juice earlier in the day.  Was hoping all those nutrients would be good for my cold.  Made some chicken vegetable soup for supper and a big green salad.  I am under my calories for the day.  I didn't go for my walk, but I still got over 7500 steps

Best Answer
0 Votes

😞  Well I went over my calories yesterday, but I did get 11,396 steps.  I also did my Zombie 5k drills.  It is so hard to stay in the calorie limit on days I work my body harder.  I feel soooo hungry!  I can't stop thinking of food.  Today is my rest day.  I hope everyone has a great weekend.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two days in a row of being over calorie budget and the scale is up slightly. Also didn't get my exercise in yesterday, my husband is sick and I feel like I am fighting it too. Today I am feeling better, do I will be exercising and sticking to my budget. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yesterday I met my steps, did some weight lifting, drank 100oz of water, ate healthy and got 8 hours of sleep and I'm pretty sore. I walked for a half hour so far, slow pace and will walk again later, to meet the 1000 steps. The challenge I will have is to make sure I eat enough while lifting weights. It's cold outside so I'm limited to indoor activities. Cleaning, laundry and my treadmill... Have a great day everyone and I hope that for those of you who are sick, you recover soon.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yesterday, we went out to breakfast and it was hard to find anything on the menu that looked appetizing and would be within my diet.  I eat about 90% vegan but will occasionally have some animal protein.  I settled on migas without the cheese and didn't eat the tortillas or fried potatos that came with it.  But I still went over my calorie budget a little for the day.  We went Christmas shopping and I also took a 30 minute walk and got a total of a little more than my 10K committment.  Weight stayed about the same.  I lost 1/10th of a pound according to the Aria scale.  Still sick with a bad cold and not sleeping good.  Can't wait to be over this cold!  I re-read everyone's posts since day one of the challenge and feel so happy for everyone.  We are doing great with the challenge so far!  Now just got to get through Christmas day, huh?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmm....I think this video I found - though it was made by an unknown personality - despite some of the ....coarse language at times ... it is mildly amusing, but it does have some common sense when it comes to surviving the holidays with the diet plan intact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34pB8_jpff0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUaHx0T1LWrVKWF1XfWWLSuwhttp://

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yay! the scale is back down to where it was before I had 2 bad days! I ate within my budget, and exercised yesterday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in ........... my plan is to stay within maintaince level if I go over my weight loss amount.  NOT to go over.  I need to be able to be in control for when I do hit my goal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Walked for 45 minutes yesterday and got to a little over my 10K.  Stuck with my diet and lost 9/10ths of a pound.  I am soooooo close to my goal (which started in September) to have lost 30 pounds by Christmas!  Just 6/10ths of a pound to go!  Good grief!  This is driving me crazy!  It sure is making me stick to my plan, though.  I want to meet the goal so bad!Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Down half a pound, went over calories slightly yesterday, but no junk food, no holiday "fat bombs".

Best Answer

Stayed within my calories yesterday.  I also got my 10000 steps.  I'm waiting for my fitbit to charge so I can go do my scheduled Zombie 5k drills. (i don't want to do them!) Good luck everyone.  😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm with you all in!! I know it's late to be seeing this post, but since I started a Paleo Crossfit Challenge on the recommendation of our kids  three weeks ago today (I don't do Crossfit), this will fit right in. It's tough for me since I love my oatmeal, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and beans, but now I've only got five weeks left of the challenge. I've made it through the parties choosing the "right" hors d'ourves, salads, meats, vegetables and fruits and just ignoring the rest. I actually enjoy the challenge-- Keep focused, "Decide, Commit, Succeed." Pretend it's fun and it will be! (every time I serve a Paleo menu for dinner I dub it, "Fun with Paleo!")

Best Answer
0 Votes

Shelley,

Restaurants ARE tough!! But we went to Friendly's and it was "Fun with Paleo" for Cande: Imagine this: "I'd like the Senior Plate of Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry, over cole slaw instead of rice pilaf, and I'd like a side of broccoli INSTEAD OF the Happy Endings Sundae for dessert." This is arguably the first ever recorded order of Broccoli replacing a Happy Endings Sundae.

ice cream dish-broccoli.JPG

Best Answer
I met the 10000 steps yesterday, ate healthy, drank plenty water and spent a lot of time researching, trying to get suggestions from personal trainers or body builders regarding cardio and weight lifting. There's a lot more I need to research and hope to incorporate what I learn and hopefully achieve my goal of losing weight and having muscle. Y'all have a good night.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome Cande!  It's not too late to join and it sounds like you have already been working at the goals to not gain during this holiday season.  So, you are right on time!  Love the picture of the broccoli in the sundae glass!

Tomorrow is Christmas!  I am going to my son's house for Christmas dinner and he is making sort of a Paleo meal.  He doesn't eat Paleo but his wife is trying to lose and he knows I am off sugar, grains and dairy so he is trying to be supportive which I really appreciate.  I am going to make those green beans with the cranberries I told you all about last week and also bring some salad.  I think I can get through the day without doing a lot of damage.  Just 3/10ths of a pound now to be at 30 pounds lost by Christmas.  I think I can get there by tomorrow morning.   Yesterday I got almost 16,000 steps.  That is a first for me!  Got the 15,000 step badge!  

Merry Christmas everyone!  Hope you all enjoy your day today and tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Count me in. I know it's really late but I just got my flex last Thursday and just decided I was sick and tired of feeling out of energy last Tuesday .... and I didn't want to have to go out and buy new pants. 🙂

Wow, did I pick a bad time to start losing weight. 🙂

My goal, is more to decrease my % body fat than anything but that should go along with not gaining weight and or losing it. I am currently at 28% body fat. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes