Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Challenge! Maintain or lose but do not gain!

ANSWERED

I read that the average person puts on 6 pounds over the holidays and doesn't ever lose them.  Let's not let that happen to us!  This challenge will run through December 31st!  Here is the challenge:

Pick a goal for how you plan to eat through this challenge.  It is your choice but some examples might be giving up all processed foods, eating mindfully, eating plant based diet, etc.

Choose an exercise regime you will commit to do daily.

Stay accountable to the group by reporting in daily or if you can't do that just report as often as you can.

Who is with me??  Let's do this!  Here is my commitment to the challenge:

I am eating 90% plant based diet with no processed foods and limiting salt.

I will walk enough to get 10K steps a day 

Best Answer
171 REPLIES 171

great work 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

good luck 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

i did personal training a couple of years ago, i found lifting heavy weights helped me over cardio, im trying to motivate and get back to it, good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

good for you, lifting weights especially heavier will not bulk you up but helps u lose weight quicker, i did it thru personal training a few years ago, and was actually surprised at my results, unfortunately life kids and not kicking myself up the bum i've regained grrrr

trying to motivate good luck 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Whoo, this thread is just what I was looking for! 🙂

Diet: Same as usual (since starting fitbit) - try to stick within yellow or green zone, which usually means two light meals and dinner. I'm pretty good at avoiding excessively processed foods but otherwise am happy to eat anything I want within moderation - some of my naughtiest-but-still-within-green-zone days have included scones with jam and cream <3. Continuing to drink lots of water (I keep a 1.5L bottle of water on my desk at all times) and avoid soft drinks/alcohol. Would be cool if I could eat more fruit.

Exercise: 10 000+ steps daily, although I've been trying to hit 15K and do some daily core exercise. Hoping to get into an online yoga program soon.

Sleep: Get enough sleep! That's one of Dita von Teese's #1 health rules for keeping her figure. And well, if the lady with the amazing body is telling me that getting enough sleep makes a big difference, then I'm doing it! (have monitored this over the past 5 months and must agree, getting a decent night's sleep really does make a difference)

Goals: If I can lose some weight this month, great. If I only maintain, great. January is when my big guns are coming out 😄 😄 (starting a swim challenge with my friend)

--------
Today I'm on 16K steps, am in the yellow zone, and have done some core exercises, so yay 🙂 I try to find opportunities to walk so walked to the shops to get some groceries instead of driving today (it's a 60min walk round trip).

It's Christmas tomorrow which should be an interesting challenge... guess my best strategy will be to make sure Christmas breakfast and lunch are healthy enough to make up for a hefty Christmas dinner. And get lots and lots and lots of walking done 😮

Best Answer
0 Votes
Love your attitude, @Cande! I'll join this challenge. My goal ... maintenance and moderation over the holidays. I plan to treat my calories the way I treat dollars. If I plan on splurging on a new sweater, I know I have to cut back elsewhere in the budget. If I plan on one treat and a martini at a party, I'll cut back on my daily calories, but still making sure I get enough fiber and protein. I'll also save a serving of protein to eat just before leaving for the party. Don't want to go there hungry!
Best Answer

Had a challenge last night - at my weight loss support group of all places!  Was told there was leftover Chinese food and I cautiously made and brought over plain boiled brown rice.  There were NO vegetable dishes and lots of carbs.  I took a moderate portion of Gerneral Tzo chicken on the brown rice.  Not my usual fare because of all the salt, sugar and fat - but think I did well - and ignored the fried rice and lo mein.

Then had some fruit after returning home.  Usually when I get chinese food I opt for the steamed meat and veggie platter and add a bit of spicy sauce to it. Then as a treat - 1 spare rib (my favorite).

Oh well - am on track with losing so far.

Best Answer
@offthewall
You did good! Remember these two things
1. We are in it for the long run, so keep your eyes on the big picture,
2. You don't have to be perfect to be wonderful!

I personally find it helpful to keep playing the song, "What have you done today to make you feel proud?" By Heather Small. Listen to the words. You have reason to be proud.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you Carol-B!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Great Non-Scale-Victory! That is something to be proud of. 

One day is not going to halt all of your progress, so we must be careful and consistent on the good days, this way a bad day won't hit as much Smiley Tongue

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love how this challenge started up again.  This is actually the second year for it.  I set up this challenge in December of 2013.  I had been on a challenge to lose 30 pounds by Christmas which I actually met on Chistmas day last year.  Apparently I am very literal!!  I immediately set up this challenge to make sure I didn't gain over the rest of the holidays.  I did well until December 31st, the last day of the challenge.  I weighed at my usual time in the morning and success!  Nothing gained since Christmas!  I had met the goal since the challenge ended on 12/31.  Then on that night, New Years Eve, I ate a bunch of stuff and continued to put on a few pounds the next couple of days and that took a couple of weeks to get back off.  Lesson learned was that I should have set the goal to go past the holidays and not end on the 31st.  Oh well, since then I lost another 30 pounds (60 total) and am at a healthy weight now.  So the other lesson is if you fall off the horse, get back on it.  May all of you have great success!  Here is to a Merry Christmas and a healthy 2015!  You can do it!!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

What a great goal! So impressive - 30 pounds sounds like a lot 😮

Right now I'm having tea and some pineapple tarts and blackcurrant jelly. Christmas strategy this year has been to eat a light breakfast and lunch (lots of fruit!), get 15 000 steps in before dinner, then let myself have a bit of everything but portion sensibly, stop when I'm full, and avoid the really high-fat stuff (like pork crackling and the finger-thick buttercream frosting on the cake).

Strategy worked great! Until I discovered the tarts accidentally forgotten in the oven... (we all have vices and this is one of mine. But I'm only having 3 instead of the 10 I might usually have, so that's a plus)

So now I'll be doing a bit of walking before bed to get back into the green zone. But not bad considering I usually put on a few kilos over Christmas - this time I've maintained! What a great thread 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I am going to need some motivation to get back on track from the holidays! I sure hope I didn't gain all my 10 pounds back that I lost this month!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am new to the fitbit.  It was a Christmas gift.  I am still finding my way.  Christmas or any holiday is my hardest time because I do not work doing the holiday's.  And being home just puts it to easy to grab.  But I am will to try anything to get back in shape.  I did good last year.  Lost 30lbs.  But had a major set back in May this year and gained it all back.  Now having a hard time getting back into good habits.  I have a nutribullet and have made detox shakes at least every other day.  So I am eating good at least once a day.  Look forward to reading more.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This really goes for all of us on the Holiday Challenge (or any challenge): make EVERY day a "good" day, then there's no such thing as a bad day. Commit to only having good days.
That means NO sweets, chips, crackers, desserts, sugary drinks and juices or "seconds."
Just say, "No," or "No, thank you, I'm not doing that right now,"
Just go "cold turkey." It's fun and rewarding!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Welcome to the fight ! I know how hard it is to lose weight ! My Mom used to tell me we are Irish ! We are ready for the famine ! Join me and we can do this with others in 2015 !

Blessings, from Gene and Amber
Best Answer
0 Votes

Last few days have been a bit scary 😮 Boxing day I finally gave in to the knowledge that it would be the only time of year where there would be this much yummy food around me. And it would be ok to have a bit more than usual over a few days if I could tail it back the following few days. 😉 So far, so good! (helps that I don't eat much chocolate and have been seriously avoiding all the cakes. But not the scones. Alas, they are my weak point...)

Then bombshells came - my housing situation's changed (I'm currently interstate on holiday) which is all kinds of stressful. Somehow I've managed to avoid comfort eating and am back to pre-christmas shape thanks to normal meals + treadmill. Not quite sure how I'm managing this, but hooray! Hope I can keep it going over the next few weeks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Got my fitbit on 12.21
Weighed myself a week later (this morning) and im down 5lbs..

Slim Sessy David > ice cream

Best Answer

Not sleeping well at the moment but doing pretty well on the food front! Still eating out a fair bit but going for small meals and having a bit of fruit or a big drink of water whenever I feel peckish (I tend to snack a lot when I'm tired or thirsty. Bad habit hey?).

Yellow zone: check!

10K steps: check!

🙂

Slightly entertained to admit that I've clocked up most of my walking today window shopping and admiring many things I'm trying not to buy. The malls are SO pretty!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This Christmas we were invited to a friends house , who happens to be a chef and the wife a bartender.. both are amazing at what they do. I can't believe I didn't eat any of their sweets or pastas or rice.. I stuck to their veggies, meats and water!! I could have had wine.. but I wanted to see if I could actually do it.. and I did. Very proud of myself for my success on Christmas day... and actually feel healthy about it. 

Next is New Years.. ! Same place.. Wish me luck! Woman Very Happy

All it takes is one tiny step.... ....

Love yourself enough to take it
Best Answer
0 Votes