Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@ Home workouts (no access to a gym)

ANSWERED

Hi y' all! Thanks for reading this! 🙂 I am trying to get fitter but I don't have access to a gym. On Sundays, I run a few miles at my local track as well as a high-intensity hike in my area (I try to shove as much physical activity into my spare time -- super sore Monday!!). But on the work days, I come home tired and hungry. I do have some equipment in my home -- dumbells, jump ropes, yoga mats and various workout dvds (I also try to reach my daily goal of 10,000 steps), and I was wondering if any people out there have any good recommendations for home workouts and how to fight through my exhaustion for a healthier me! (I'm at a healthy weight and I generally eat well - I'm quite slim - but I want to get stronger, faster, etc). Any help is totally awesome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, Emma!

Jessica Smith TV has good walking/strength training workouts. Lucy Wyndham-Read also has great walking/toning exercises that use no equipment, just body weight. I'm a tad put off her her constantly marketing her booklets and resources, but she does have to make a living, I guess. Tracy Campoli has all sorts of fitness videos, and it feels like a workout with a friend when I do her videos. I often do 35 minutes of Jessica Smith and/or LWR in the mornings when I get up. If I'm feeling a bit out of sorts, I'll go with a Leslie Sansone walking video. I have three pairs of dumbbells--2-, 3-, and 5-pounders, plus some resistance bands that might be good. I'm still looking for a good resistance band workout, so if anyone has a suggestion, let me know. I prefer videos because it helps me get proper form.

I also belong to ClassPass and take classes through them. I love the variety I get with them--I can take a barre class one week and a Pilates Reformer class the next. (I really love my reformer classes.) Tomorrow I'm taking a strength training class focusing on my upper body since I've had a lot of lower body-focused classes lately.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Have you looked at fitbit's Coach app? Ideal for home use with little or no equipment.

Best Answer

Hi @Emma22.  Getting stronger is a good idea.  Your dumbbells will help there, but you'll need access to more than a set of 5 or 10 pounders.  The problem with multiple dumbbells is that they can take up a lot of space, so getting some nesting dumbbells is a nice investment for a home gym.  I've got a set of these that go up to 90 lbs on each side.  Also not a bad idea to follow a program of some sort.  Reading a book that would help you set one up might help get you motivated.  Thinner Leaner Stronger is a nice starter book, but there are millions out there.

I go to a gym for my weight training three days a week in the morning.  That helps me get around the tired hungry after work issue you've raised. But, if you can't get started early enough to do it in the morning, try increasing lunch by 50% on workout days, eating it around 2 or 3 pm, and then doing your workout before having a later smaller than usual supper.  That's what my wife does when she schedules and evening swim or cycling class.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

You can also find a lot of things on YouTube for what ever you want to do.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi, Emma!

Jessica Smith TV has good walking/strength training workouts. Lucy Wyndham-Read also has great walking/toning exercises that use no equipment, just body weight. I'm a tad put off her her constantly marketing her booklets and resources, but she does have to make a living, I guess. Tracy Campoli has all sorts of fitness videos, and it feels like a workout with a friend when I do her videos. I often do 35 minutes of Jessica Smith and/or LWR in the mornings when I get up. If I'm feeling a bit out of sorts, I'll go with a Leslie Sansone walking video. I have three pairs of dumbbells--2-, 3-, and 5-pounders, plus some resistance bands that might be good. I'm still looking for a good resistance band workout, so if anyone has a suggestion, let me know. I prefer videos because it helps me get proper form.

I also belong to ClassPass and take classes through them. I love the variety I get with them--I can take a barre class one week and a Pilates Reformer class the next. (I really love my reformer classes.) Tomorrow I'm taking a strength training class focusing on my upper body since I've had a lot of lower body-focused classes lately.

Best Answer

Thanks!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to try HIIT workouts on youtube. They keep things moving-  The Body Coach on youtube is a favorite.  I get bored easily and his workouts are ones I return to.

Best Answer

https://www.fitnessblender.com/

I always train at home, it's what I've always done. Never even set foot in a proper gym.

Allie
Best Answer