Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I motivate myself to move?

Hey! I have been really trying to lose weight but I seem to have trouble motivating myself to move and eat healthy. Is there any way that I can motivate myself more?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Aim for small manageable changes.  Add a few steps here and there and they'll add up.  Same thing for your food, just make a better choice here and there.  Sometimes radical changes can be harder to maintain long term.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

What has worked for me in the past are:

1.  Take a picture of myself, so I can see the "real" me.

2.  Taking additional pictures as things improve, reinforce that what I am doing is working, and it re-motivates me.

3.  Planning a vacation where I'd want to take my shirt off without fear, and setting goals before that trip.  (currently using this tactic now, whereas my wife and I will be going to Myrtle Beach in 2 months.  Looking to lose 10-20 lbs).

4.  Find someone who is also wanting to lose weight, and team up, and motivate each other.

Good luck!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Small changes over time are always easier to keep up with than big changes or a lot of changes all at once. In the past, I've gotten a gym membership to motivate myself to workout, because I generally have a tough time finding the motivation when I'm at home surrounded by distractions. Plus, I don't want the money I'm spending on a gym membership to go to waste.

I also just signed up for my fist 5k. Again, it's a good motivator because I don't want to waste the money I spent on registering for it, plus it gives me something to work toward other than weight loss. The 5k is going to be in late August and I would really like to be able to run it so that gives me plenty of time to work up to being able to run that much and it's not a weight related goal, but a fitness related goal. So far, it is helping me keep on track with a couch 2 5k running app because I have a reasonable deadline to work up to being able to run 5k. As I meet other goals (like running a mile, running 2 miles, etc) I plan on rewarding myself with things I want, like new shorts to wear to the 5k and whatnot.

Best Answer
0 Votes