Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many steps for active weight loss vs weight maintenance?

Looking for some Fitbit community advice.

I'm looking to drop ten pounds. I walk 10,000 steps every day. I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. I'm not losing weight, but not gaining any either. I'm assuming 10,000 steps must therefore be maintenance vs. weight loss?

Can you tell me exactly how many steps do you take each day to activate weight loss? :Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

To answer your question directly, there is no specific number of steps that will get you to lose weight. it is based on individual needs. If you are a sedentary person and you suddenly go from 800 to 5000 steps, you will lose weight. If you walk 10,000 steps and go to jogging 10,000 steps, you will lose weight. To lose weight you have to use up more calories then you eat. If your body is used to walking 10,000 steps each day and eating 12-14,000 calories each day you are at a plateau and won't gain or lose. You have to either eat fewer calories or do more activity. Add a 1/2 hour of strength training or take a class at a rec center that gets your heart rate up. Change the pace of your walking so that you still do 10,000 steps but they are faster or there are more hills. Eating fewer then 12,000 calories might not be a good idea so it is probably best to keep your intake the same but add activities.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LaurenExplorin wrote:

Looking for some Fitbit community advice.

I'm looking to drop ten pounds. I walk 10,000 steps every day. I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. I'm not losing weight, but not gaining any either. I'm assuming 10,000 steps must therefore be maintenance vs. weight loss?

Can you tell me exactly how many steps do you take each day to activate weight loss? :Smiley Very Happy

Only 10 lbs to lose.

Sure hope you made a wise decision and selected 250 cal deficit. You gained it slow, try to lose it slow by purposeful choice.

If you don't, your body will make sure you get slow anyway because of unwise choice.

How many steps to lose weight? You got the wrong idea about this.

You merely eat less than you burn. Whatever level of eating you enjoy, burn more than that. So whatever number of steps, or better exercise, helps obtain that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just checking to see if you've found any solutions? 1200 is a low caloric intake.
Best Answer
0 Votes