Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine bmr

Do I use my tdee calories to be my bmr or do I just use the calories from my bmr?

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

What is my bmr for someone who is a female, 4 ft 10 inches  in height, 37 years old that has a 2000 calories per day? I have tried to do this on my own but I can't do it's too hard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you want to estimate your BMR the same way Fitbit does it (implicitly) for you, you’re missing one parameter (in addition to gender, height and age): body weight. You can use this online calculator

The calories you consume only affect your BMR very indirectly, via changes in your body weight. If you keep being in a caloric surplus, your weight will go up, and so will your BMR. Same in reverse if you keep being in a caloric deficit.

PS: please use more descriptive subject lines when starting new topics. For instance, the subject line for this topic could have been "how do I determine my BMR?". Relevant subject lines make it easier for other community members to see what the topic is about, and they also support future searches.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@B3 wrote:

Do I use my tdee calories to be my bmr or do I just use the calories from my bmr?

If you want to lose weight, your intake must be less than your energy expenditure (TDEE). It’s usually a good idea to eat at least the equivalent of your BMR, especially if you are physically active. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@B3 wrote:

What is my bmr for someone who is a female, 4 ft 10 inches  in height, 37 years old that has a 2000 calories per day? I have tried to do this on my own but I can't do it's too hard.

There’s something wrong in your profile:

2018-07-23_0100.png

Your weight can’t be 30.6 lbs and your BMR can’t be 2000 calories either.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

What does that mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@B3 wrote:

There’s something wrong in your profile:

2018-07-23_0100.png

Your weight can’t be 30.6 lbs and your BMR can’t be 2000 calories either.

I wonder if it's possible that her weight is 306 (not 30.6) pounds, in which case her BMR might actually calculate to be that high.  

@B3  Do you weigh 306 pounds?   Those BMR calculators are less accurate for people who are extremely obese, I think.   If that is the case, I would recommend that you ask your doctor for some guidance.     

If you are not extremely obese, then 2000 calories a day will certainly be too much for you.  Knowing what you really weigh would help.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry my mistake, I meant to put 130.6 pounds and I am not sure what my real bmr is, I've tried to do it on my own but I can't do it, it's too hard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think my bmr is1160 per day, would this be right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, a 37-yo female, 4’10 tall, weighing 130.6 lbs would have a calculated (*) BMR of 1169 calories.

TDEE at the sedentary activity level (in Fitbit terms, less than 5k steps) would be 1469 calories. At the moderately active level (maybe something like 10-12k steps), TDEE would be 1812.

The additional activity would provide more flexibility for weight loss. For instance, you could be eating 1400 calories (above your BMR) and have a 400 calories deficit, which would allow you to lose at a rate of 0.8 lb per week.

If sedentary, you could be eating 1200 calories (barely above your BMR) and your deficit would be only about 250 calories (which translates in a rate of weight loss of 0.5 lb per week).

(*) using the same equation as Fitbit. Note that the equation is for the average person. In reality, people are distributed on a bell curve, and you could be on either side of the curve (slower or faster metabolism than average), depending on your genetics, your dieting history, medical conditions etc.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer