Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase calorie burn with a foot stress fracture?

ANSWERED

I've been diagnosed with a stress fracture in my 5th metatarsal.

I had previously been walking 10k - 20k steps per day, taking my calorie burn to around 2200 - 2500 per day. My calorie intake has been around 1500 cals per day. (I have 40lbs to lose)

Now, since I've been advised to stop weight-bearing activity for a while (6-8 weeks), my daily calorie burn has dropped to 1760 per day (av. 3k steps).

That is going to cause my weight loss to grind to a halt. I am planning to drop my calories to 1200 while I'm inactive but would only want to do that for a week or two.

Any ideas about how I can increase my daily calorie burn? I don't have access to a pool. I can't get to a gym but I do have free weights at home. I have started to use them but I understand lifting weights doesn't really burn many calories.

Help! Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

(I am a 51 yr-old female, 5'5", weigh 178lbs)

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, you couldn’t be more wrong....

I am not a runner, I dislike running longer than 25 min

Lifting weight give you this...

More effective weight loos

More muscle, more calorie burn

Quality sleep

A lots of energy

Your hart is a muscle, better hart health

Think of bone health

I lift heavy weight. I know what I am talking about. I Look at the mirror every day and

the most important I like the way my body looks….

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
I had a foot injury and know what it's like. You can do almost anything. For one thing, you can find all sorts of stuff online. Go with whatever you like. You can certainly do weights, even an ankle weight that is adjustable. Standing on one leg is great for balance. Do as much as you can with the injured leg to keep it strong. You can also do pilates on a mat or on a ball. There really aren't that many limits.
I do suggest you not get too caught up in what fitbit says about calories and steps now. This is about health. Eat nourishing foods for healing, and know you will be able to resume old activities soon. Meanwhile, you can try new things.
The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up

Best Answer

@susie-q wrote:

Thank you, Sam,

Is there any particular routine you would suggest I follow at home? I get really confused about all the different workouts - i.e, upper body one day, lower body the next - or, pull muscles one day, push muscles the next, then legs and when abs???

It's a minefield!

Can you please advise a simple routine that I can do at home. I have adjustable dumbbells, a resistance band and my bodyweight!

I used to work out years ago in a gym (in my early 30s) and I did enjoy lifting as heavy as possible. In those days I did a simple total body routine three times a week.

I can't get to a gym for another couple of months so I need something to build me up to that in the meantime.

Thank you for your help!

Compound exercise (those that involve more than one joint).  Bench press, military press, rows, lat pullovers, squats (stress fractures may prevent this one), rows.  For weight training the key is what they call volume.  So for each exercise, do 3 sets with 5 repetition each so that the 5th is very difficult.  Then drop the weight and do 3 more sets with 8 reps each, the 3 more sets with 10 reps each.  The 10 should be quick movements, so the weight will be fairly light, especially since your muscles, if done right, will be really tired.  Do all sets of one before moving onto the next.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fallow the divedragon advice. 

At the beginning, do it every other day, Mon – Wend - Fri

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Sorry, you couldn’t be more wrong....

I am not a runner, I dislike running longer than 25 min

Lifting weight give you this...

More effective weight loos

More muscle, more calorie burn

Quality sleep

A lots of energy

Your hart is a muscle, better hart health

Think of bone health

I lift heavy weight. I know what I am talking about. I Look at the mirror every day and

the most important I like the way my body looks….

Best Answer

Thank you for your answer.

You are right, lifting weights has so many benefits and I will certainly be doing this. I was just asking about increasing the fitbit calorie burn to create more of a deficit without dropping too many calories, but I guess there's not a lot more I can do so I have to compromise here while I'm resting.

So, weights it is!

Thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

susie-q

Your body is one huge calorie burner. The more muscle you have, the greater burning is happening at any given time, yes at night too. Building muscle is not an easy task but if feels good to have it. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, Sam,

Is there any particular routine you would suggest I follow at home? I get really confused about all the different workouts - i.e, upper body one day, lower body the next - or, pull muscles one day, push muscles the next, then legs and when abs???

It's a minefield!

Can you please advise a simple routine that I can do at home. I have adjustable dumbbells, a resistance band and my bodyweight!

I used to work out years ago in a gym (in my early 30s) and I did enjoy lifting as heavy as possible. In those days I did a simple total body routine three times a week.

I can't get to a gym for another couple of months so I need something to build me up to that in the meantime.

Thank you for your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can get a couple of dumbbells or even lift a container of water if that's all you have.  Sit in a comportable chair and do exercises from there.  It all adds up, and while may not be as fun as walking, it will help get your heart pumping which is the most important part -- calorie burn is essentially tied to your heart rate...  as long as you can get your heart rate up, you should burn more calories.

Best Answer
I had a foot injury and know what it's like. You can do almost anything. For one thing, you can find all sorts of stuff online. Go with whatever you like. You can certainly do weights, even an ankle weight that is adjustable. Standing on one leg is great for balance. Do as much as you can with the injured leg to keep it strong. You can also do pilates on a mat or on a ball. There really aren't that many limits.
I do suggest you not get too caught up in what fitbit says about calories and steps now. This is about health. Eat nourishing foods for healing, and know you will be able to resume old activities soon. Meanwhile, you can try new things.
The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

@susie-q wrote:

Thank you, Sam,

It's a minefield!

Thank you for your help!

Compound exercise (those that involve more than one joint).  Bench press, military press, rows, lat pullovers, squats (stress fractures may prevent this one), rows.  For weight training the key is what they call volume.  So for each exercise, do 3 sets with 5 repetition each so that the 5th is very difficult.  Then drop the weight and do 3 more sets with 8 reps each, the 3 more sets with 10 reps each.  The 10 should be quick movements, so the weight will be fairly light, especially since your muscles, if done right, will be really tired.  Do all sets of one before moving onto the next.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for this. Would you suggest I go through them all on one day? 3 times a week? Or split them? Does it make any difference?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you.

You're right, I think I have been caught up in Fitbit steps! Now is a good opportunity to try other things and think about health and strength!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fallow the divedragon advice. 

At the beginning, do it every other day, Mon – Wend - Fri

Best Answer
0 Votes

I almost submitted a post very similar to this today!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did receive them. They are just as beautiful as in the picture. And best of all.....they fit me! I ordered shoes with an easy, wide, 2" heel. Since it had been decades since I had walked in anything but a flat, I was a little concerned that I'd be twisting my ankle or some such. Nope. Didn't happen. I was careful, yes. But, the heel is wide enough yet stylish that I felt more dressed up than in any other shoes I'd had in many, many years and didn't embarrass myself by falling down. I did receive them. They are just as beautiful as in the picture. And best of all.....they fit me! I ordered shoes from orthofeet with an easy, wide, 2" heel.

Best Answer
0 Votes