Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to eat/drink due to tooth infection - Weight loss impact

I've broken a rear molar and currently suffering the worst tooth pain. Have been given an antibiotic and am looking at (hopefully) extraction or at the very least, root canal work.

In the meantime I can barely eat or drink. Chewing is out of the question, but my glands are so swollen I can barely open my mouth anyway, and swallowing is painful.

My concern is the impact this will have on weight loss. I've been at a great place in maintaining regular moderate exercise, sleeping well, drinking the right amount of water and a decent calorie deficit, and have been steadily losing 1.5 lb a week on average over the full course of my cycle.

The scale has already shot up 2lb in two days and I barely have the strength to exercise. My sleep pattern is shot as I'm awake in agony the minute the painkillers killers wear off.

I know this won't last forever but I'm worried everything I've achieved these last two months will be reversed 😔

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

@Kiwistar Seems impossible that you would be gaining fat weight while not eating anything.  Don't worry about it.  This will probably be a help in weight loss.   But don't eat easy junk food while in pain.  If you could swallow, a protein drink might be helpful. Hope you can get the necessary dental repair soon.  Best wishes.

Best Answer

Hello @Kiwistar. Welcome to the community forums. @Glenda Nice to see you around and thanks for your great input. 

@Kiwistar I'm sorry for the experience and I hope you can visit your dentist soon. I've been in the same situation and that has prevented me to workout for some days but the good thing is that my weight wasn't impacted.

My best recommendation would be that you try to visit your dentist as soon as possible and follow their recommendations as to when it is appropriate for you to start working out. Don't worry about gaining such weight for now, you will certainly keep on losing pounds once you're able to work out. 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer

I've experienced what looked to be a gain during a serious or long infection (I'm immune compromised so I've dealt with a lot of infections).  It wasn't real weight.  My body retained a lot of water during my infection so it looked like I was gaining but once I was over the infection and a week or so passed I was back down.  I'm so sorry you are suffering. 

Best Answer

Thanks everyone. I've had the tooth pulled and just now at the recovering end (hopefully) of the infection.

I stopped caring about everything weightloss related in the end! In fact, tonight is gonna be the first night attempting to chew since last Friday. Only pasta, but I'm so sick of soup... Only thing I'm eager for now is the breathlessness to get better so I can start rowing again 💪

Best Answer

Hello everyone. @SKMDC Nice to see you around! @Kiwistar Thank you for your reply! 

@Kiwistar Glad to hear that you're at the recovering stage now and I hope you can continue tracking towards your fitness goals soon. 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that dental care is very important. My mother constantly told me that I should monitor the condition of my teeth since childhood!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community forums, @heathknox

Definitely! I learned that the hard way and had to get some extractions, but I now take very good care of my teeth. 😁

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

well i am on and off the fitbit app but it will interest me if you could write me on facebook or instagram. check my profile. i will give you solutions associated with your current tooth ache

Best Answer

Right! Body has inflamation of course its going to hold onto fluid! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did indeed have the tooth extracted and dropped the water weight a week after. Have since lost a further 18.5lb so I shouldn't have worried!

Best Answer

Thanks for the update, @Kiwistar! I hope you're feeling better.  

And congrats on the progress you've made with the weight loss. 😁

Best Answer
0 Votes

After breaking a molar tooth to get an infection is quite easy. A few years ago I had something like this, at first I did not take everything seriously, but because of this uterus I had to have an operation. Dental infections are very easy to spread, from this point of view, you need to be very careful and urgently resort to medical treatment. When I have a problem and I can't go to the dentist immediately I get a consultation on dentalservicesmaryland.com the same advice I give you. I don't think you want to run out of teeth yet...

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing, @heathknox

It's very important to resort to medical treatment and focus on prevention as well. I've spent a lot of money fixing my teeth, money that I could've saved had I taken care of my teeth earlier or asked for medical advice. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have never liked toothache, because it makes me suffer and give up my favorite things, my favorite food and drinks. I had removed my tooth at a private clinic https://jeffreygrossdds.com / and after the operation, the condition of my tooth improved for a while, but then another tooth ached, because of which I did not eat or sleep, because of this condition I lost ten kilograms and I was found to be underweight. I didn't know what to do, but I understood that in order for me to gain weight again, I needed good nutrition. To do this, I needed to cure my tooth. I had an operation on a tooth that hurt me and after that I followed a good diet, which brought me into a good condition.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a similar situation, and I was afraid that I would gain weight in a short period of time how much I lost in a long time... Everything is already fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing.

If you can't eat or drink properly because of a tooth infection, it can affect your weight. Here are some ways in which a tooth infection and related difficulty eating can affect your weight. Tooth pain and discomfort can make it difficult to eat, resulting in a decreased appetite. The pain may worsen when you chew or bite into food, causing you to avoid certain foods altogether. A tooth infection can make it difficult to eat certain foods, especially hard, crunchy, or chewy foods. I would advise you to see a dentist, they can help you with your problem. I usually make an appointment at this website vipdentalny.com

Best Answer
0 Votes