Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't like the gym but would love to continue to remain skinny, fit and healthy

I've found that over time, I've become rather sick and tired of the gym and succumbing to being a gym rat. It just doesn't give me that same high feeling anymore. I don't like to just sit and do absolutely nothing, I'd still like to at least maintain what I've accomplished (losing over 130 pounds)- I walk a lot and get around 10-20,000 steps a day, but fill in the blanks in my mind with horror scenarios of me being the big fat girl I was for years because I'm not slaving away and making myself miserable in the gym. Anybody have any appeasing thoughts before I drive myself absolutely insane? What do you do that keeps you fit and lean without slaving away as a gym rat? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I've found that over time, I've become rather sick and tired of the gym and succumbing to being a gym rat. It just doesn't give me that same high feeling anymore. I don't like to just sit and do absolutely nothing, I'd still like to at least maintain what I've accomplished (losing over 130 pounds)- I walk a lot and get around 10-20,000 steps a day, but fill in the blanks in my mind with horror scenarios of me being the big fat girl I was for years because I'm not slaving away and making myself miserable in the gym. Anybody have any appeasing thoughts before I drive myself absolutely insane? What do you do that keeps you fit and lean without slaving away as a gym rat? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the community, @firebird102!

You posted the same topic on two different forums (Charge 2 and Manage Weight), and since it didn’t relate specifically to the Charge 2, I merged them into one in this forum. Please check the Community Guidelines:

Use good network etiquette. [...] please do not multipost, cross-post

As to your question: for how long have you been at your current weight, after your major weight loss? The longer you manage to maintain your new, lower weight, the less likely it is you will rebound back to your previous, higher weight. The main reason for gaining weight isn’t lack of (or insufficient) exercise, it is usually related to eating (unhealthy habits, eating disorders etc.). As long as you stick to healthy eating habits, you can maintain your weight without having to be a gym rat. Likewise, you can live an active lifestyle without a gym membership: walking is a great way to avoid becoming sedentary. Just find the right balance of activity and eating that has you maintain your current weight. I’m sure your Fitbit can be (and has been) a great motivator for that.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

for me weight management is a full time job. i wish it was a weight engineering thing where i just fix the excess and i'm done.  the thing for me in the past was to change what i did.  i used to Rollerblade in the mid eighties.  that was great.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find setting goals for myself outside the gym is helpful to maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.  Periodically, I like to go for high-step days to get new Fitbit badges.  I like to discover new walking trails/paths in my area.  My husband and I are planning to do some hiking once the weather cools off a bit.  Sign up for a 5K or a 10K.  Take the dogs (or even kids) on a couple extra walks during the week.  Do push-ups and jumping jacks during commercial breaks.  Or, sometimes I just walk in front of the TV so at least I'm still moving.  Try a new activity, like yoga or cycling or a bootcamp class.  

Have you looked into resistance bands?  I have a set that I like to use.  I also have ankle weights as well.  That way if I'm feeling super lazy, I still can incorporate some resistance training.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Take the parts that you like to do at the gym and replace them with inhome/outdoor activities.

1. Like to treadmill/stair climb?  Hit the city streets or a hiking trail.

2.  Like to lift weights?  Replace that costly gym membership with a home gym for roughly the same amount as an annual membership.

3.  Like a certain sport?  Find or start a league or find people with common interests and just play.

Best Answer
0 Votes

if you continue to eat well and maintain a specific caloric goal, you should be OK in the weight gain department. You don't have to go to the gym to be active, you can for sure do things outside of the gym to keep yourself moving. I am wondering though if you had developed such a gym routine that you just got bored with it all. Been there. I either shake up what I do, how I do it or what goal I am trying to reach. Shake things up. See if it helps. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I won a three-month membership to a local gym, but I discovered that I prefer either doing YouTube fitness videos--of which there are tons out there, and I'm happy to recommend my favorites--or taking classes at specialty studios, like barre or Pilates Reformer. I need the structure even a YouTube video provides rather than going from machine to machine and not sure what I'm supposed to do.

The first thing I do when I get up (after brushing my teeth, of course) is ~35 minutes of walking/toning videos, so I get some exercise out of the way. I live in a city, so I ride public transit, and when I'm changing buses, I get more steps in while waiting to board (at least in the morning; it's a bit different on the way back home). My apartment building also has a fitness room so if I need to get my steps in, I can do 25 minutes on the treadmill.

What exercises do you like? Is there a way you can do them at home or go walking/jogging in your neighborhood?

And even if you do go to the gym, you don't need to spend hours there. Plan an 30- to 60-minute workout, do that, and then go home.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm pretty sure if I became a gym rat I would not be successful at keeping weight off...it really does sound awful!!

You don't have to go to the gym at all if you don't absolutely love it!! I would not. I walk, hike, and now do weight lifting at home with my hubby. No gym...I  am also going kayaking for 2 days this weekend...so exciting!!!

Find activities you can get excited about, or else you will get bored and probably quit...because who has the motivation to do something they dislike forever...ewwww...no thank you 🙂

Best Answer