Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to log on fitbit or use My fitness pal?

ANSWERED

I have noticed a difference in the requirements between the 2 sites and wondered if anyone else had compared results between the 2. Fitbit has my calories lower than my fitness pal and when I log activity on MFP it already shows that fitbit has adjusted my activity level.  So does that mean that I am adding twice the activity?  I'm a little confused.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
I use Myfitnesspal only for logging food and fitbit for activities. I set on both the same goals re weightloss. Re daily left calories: to be on the safe side I go with the lower number and never eat all of my calories back.
Stef.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35
I use Myfitnesspal only for logging food and fitbit for activities. I set on both the same goals re weightloss. Re daily left calories: to be on the safe side I go with the lower number and never eat all of my calories back.
Stef.
Best Answer

I log food only on My Fitness Pal but I only eat amount of food given on fitbit. Kind od confusing but works for me. Good Luck.

Best Answer
That's helpful thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Have you tried using fitbit for logging food? I'm wondering if I'm just making it more confusing by trying to use 2 apps when fitbit for both would just be easier
Best Answer

I tried one day to log my food into fitbit and it was so much easier with myfitnesspal that I immediately went back to mfp.  I think one day fbit may be better regarding food entries but as of now the mfp is superior by far. I linked the two apps together and I do not eat the extra calories that I earn from exercise because I have a weight loss goal right now.  Once I get to my goal weight then I will adjust my calories to my fitness level.  Have a great day!

Best Answer
Thanks so much I was confused about a lot of it and your answer helped 🙂

--
*Cinnamon Vosburg NSCA-CPT*
*Vosburg Training *
*Mobile In-home Personal Training*
*814-316-5804*
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm using fitbit solely for food and fitness.  Once you start using the food log, it does a good job of 'remembering'--I'm really happy with the program, and it precludes going back and forth between sites.  

Best Answer

I use MFP for logging food and all exercise except walking/step based exercises. Fitbit then adds a calorie adjustment to regulate the Calorie intake amount that I have left for the day. Some days this number is negative because I have not done a lot of exercise, or the exercise I did do was logged on MFP. Other days my exercise was mostly in walking/steps so Fitbit adds the exercise and gives me more calories that I can eat for the day. That is why you will get a "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment" on your MFP activities. 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
I was seeing the difference between calories in the 2 sites. But I didn't want to start my library over again. It would be easier to use one site. Thanks:)

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. I don't understand how it works between fitbit and myfitnesspal as sometimes fitbit doesn't update myfitnesspal so everyday I'm double checking. I noticed that when I don't log anything into myfitnesspal, neither does fitbit. I thought fitbit would automatically update myfitmesspal daily as that is why I "tied" the apps together. I guess I could try and just use fitbit but their food tracking basically stinks compaired to myfitnesspal. How are things for you now? Are they working better? Any suggestions or settings you could share? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use MFP for logging food...mostly because I can enter recipes into it and because they seem to have all of the foods I've ever tried searching for.  I also log my activities on MFP thru the Fitbit app and Runtastic App that I have on my phone.  When my activity sync's from the Fitbit app, I generally ignore the calories that I've earned, not because I think they are incorrect but more so because I've already tracked my activities on MFP. 

Best Answer

I totally agree Myfitnesspal is easier because for me you can just scan your food and it is in. If they would incorporate a scan feature then I would only use Fitbit. 

Best Answer
I think it's better to have all your information in one place.....just my
preference lol

--
*Cinnamon Vosburg, AOS, NSCA-CPT, ACE*
*Vosburg Training *
*Mobile In-home Personal Training*
*814-316-5804*

We move towards and become that which we think about
Best Answer

I can totally agree Vostra it is better to only have one.  But I have to tell you that using Myfitnesspal for the food part is much much easier w/there barcode scanner it does all the work so much easier you don't have to type stuff in, scan make sure it is your item and click the check and your in. 

I wish Fitbit app had that scan feature then I would not use myfitnesspal at all. 

Best Answer

I agree!  And "one place" is what I thought I'd have but the FitBit database is lousy compared to My Fitness Pal! I try as I might I could not "Create Meals" on FitBit, either. MFP is super quick and I swear they have every food/restaurant on the planet!  I love how it automatically syncs to Fit Bit.  I do love the FitBit dashboard and I love the Sleep tab...although one morning I woke up with 64 awake periods during the night!!  I was horrified...until I realized I put myself in the sleep mode sometime the previous late afternoon (don't know how I did that!) and while I was awake early evening and walking, etc., FitBit thought I was sleeping! Smiley Very Happy It also said I slept 13 hours and 59 minutes.  Pretty funny!

Best Answer
Too funny!!
Yes the data base is better with my fitness pal. Not sure why fitbit has such great technology with the device but lacks in the food diary department.
Food in one place activity in another. I guess paradise always has a down side lol

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree with you. Have you ever tried the app fooducate? It's even better but it doesn't sync with fitbit. Maybe as fitbit grows we will see improvements 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

No I haven't.  I really love My Fitness Pal and finally am in the groove of jockeying between the two.  Yes, MFP for tracking food and any activity non-step related.  The beauty of the FitBit for me, is that it is shoving my can out the door till I see all those dots!! lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Vostra, I just posted the same question on the forum.  Since you've been doing it for a few weeks what do you think? logging food on MFP or fitbit.  I 'd sure like to use just one app. I used MFP today and did like the scan feature.  It even scanned Target food.

Best Answer
0 Votes