Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to log on fitbit or use My fitness pal?

ANSWERED

I have noticed a difference in the requirements between the 2 sites and wondered if anyone else had compared results between the 2. Fitbit has my calories lower than my fitness pal and when I log activity on MFP it already shows that fitbit has adjusted my activity level.  So does that mean that I am adding twice the activity?  I'm a little confused.

Best Answer
0 Votes
35 REPLIES 35
It's seems that the mfp app has better features for tracking food but I
track activity on fitbit. So between the 2 it's like one I guess because
mfp syncs to fitbit lol the scan feature is pretty awesome haha
Vostra

--
*Cinnamon Vosburg, AOS, NSCA-CPT, ACE*
*Vosburg Training *
*Mobile In-home Personal Training*
*814-316-5804*

We move towards and become that which we think about
Best Answer
0 Votes

I too would prefer to just use one app, but I agree with all, MFP is so much easier for logging/tracking food and now that you can add the link to recipes  instead of having to manually it is amazing. MFP syncs with fitbit so it works for me 

Best Answer

@vostra wrote:
I was seeing the difference between calories in the 2 sites. But I didn't want to start my library over again. It would be easier to use one site. Thanks:)

Sent from my iPhone

Okay.  Foul.  I didn't see there was a second page to this thread already expressing my opinions.  *palm to forehead*.  Sorry blond moment, disregard. 

Sorry to reopen a thread from > a month ago, but I have to agree and hope someone can offer a better solution.  I am finding it frustrating with logging my food on Fitbit because their database is usually misguided when compared to the box my frozen meal came out of.  I have barely used MFP, but as I recall MFP's food database is far, far, superior.  I would use MFP to log my food, and Fitbit to record my activities.  Unfortunately it's my understanding that MFP pulls your information from Fitbit, and it's only one way.  Not a true synchronization (which would be the information going both ways).  I am ney on using MFP for fitness activity tracking; I believe it makes sense that the device actually connected to your body is going to be far more accurate than some mathematical equation and theory applied by a third-party.

Walt | NREMT
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Fitbit Flex - Android, Linux Mint (Galileo)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@vostra wrote:
It's seems that the mfp app has better features for tracking food but I
track activity on fitbit. So between the 2 it's like one I guess because
mfp syncs to fitbit lol the scan feature is pretty awesome haha
Vostra

I just tried this...MFP states that it only syncronizes one way, by pulling your information over to their computers to munch on.  But after further looking on their website the staff doesn't seem to have much interaction with the Fitbit community since 2012 [sic].  I decided to try Fooducate, and MFP on my android device- and happened to open fitbit up after and *SHOCK* there was a food entry "Lunch Summary (MyFitnessPal)"    !!!!!!!

I'm a happy camper now.  I'll be using MFP for food logging, and Fitbit for activity.  So happy I came upon this thread.  Thanks Vostra!!

Walt | NREMT
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Fitbit Flex - Android, Linux Mint (Galileo)
Best Answer
0 Votes
Not sure what the problem is but MFP and Fitbit connect BOTH ways. When I enter something in myfitnesspal for e.g. dinner than it turn up in fitbit under calories eaten.
For me it is ver simple: myfitnesspal is the more important app re nutrition and weightloss and fitbit for exercise and fitness. All sport is logged in fitbit and all food in myfitnesspal. At the end of the day I orientate myself on myfitnesspal in regards to my nutrition targets and calorie goals. Myfitnesspal is IMHO by far the best app re food.
Stef.
Best Answer

For me, My Fitness Pal is much more comprehensive and easier to log food in.

Moderator edit: edited for style and consistency.

Best Answer
I use MFP to log all my food and water intake. I use Runtastic to log all my runs and walks which syncs with MFP which then sync with my FitBit Flex. This has been working well for me.
Dig deeper!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Weight loss and nutrition are my goals.

Fitbit One is hands down best for Steps/Activity. I use it only to catch those times when I'm on my rear to long. Smiley Happy In the last year I have tried food, calorie tracking but find the interface clunky and confusing. I absolutley LOVE the Dashboard though!

MFP hands down the best for food/calories/water. HUGE Database. I use MFP for weighing food and calories (recipes). To me the most useful thing is that it will break out protein, sugar, sodium so you can see what you're eating.

I really hated this when I started a year ago but I've created a spreadsheet in Excel in conjunction with the book, "The Ultimate Calore, Carb, and Fat Gram Counter 2nd Edititon by Lea Ann Holzmeister". I then save them to my foods. Weighing food is a pain but after you do it for a while you can actually tell portion size etc just by looking.

Last comment. After a year I've gotten to know pretty much how much calories I'm consuming and how many I'm allowed. I quit all the extra activity logging because I "know" there are calories in the bank and I don't go over the recommended calories in MFP though sometimes depending on the exercise/intesity I will because I know I need it. This has allowed slow maintainable weight loss for me anyway.

Looking to lose 50lbs and I'm halfway there in a year! I hope this helps

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am new here and just got a fitbit one. I also use My Fitness Pal which has always said 1200 calories for me. I googled how many calories and this about.com nutrition said like 1590 and I read going under 1200 is not good for you. But I am thinking 1200 is a little too low. I excercise some but mostly walk and now this fitbit one interacts with My Fitness Pal which I like. I usually track my food on My Fitness Pal but I don't understand the dashboard it says daily calories 1,697 I'm confused as to what my actual calories should be. But I like My Fitness Pal and want to keep tracking what I eat there. But as long as I'm eating healthy I'm gonna start going over the 1200 some. I don't understand the whole dashboard thing yet, Oh and i just realized this post was from last year not this year oops Sorry.   Rose

Best Answer
0 Votes

But My Fitness Pal tells me my total calories should be one number and Fitbit and even when I googled said another number. MFP calorie intake is low compared to Fitbit and what I googled.. I don't understand when I open up fitbit phone app.I don't get this it says  Whoops!You're 725 over your daily goal of 446 cals.Burn more calories to get back to your goal.  Toay I was off work and mostly lounged around the house. What does this mean?  

Daily calorie deficit
And yesterday it said  On Mon, Feb 2, You ate 1514 of your goal of 996 cals

MFP says I am allowed 1200 calories this is new to me and confusing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit does scan but doesn't have the database that my fitness pal does. However, I enter my receipies in my fitness pal and transfer the info to fitbit.  It takes a little longer but I like having everything in one place. So little by little I'm expanding my database and fitbit says that will enter stuff if you take pictures with scan.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just started using MFP and the calories are WAY different than FB website.  Before I do any activity the FB website only has me getting like 850 calories (which I know is way too low) while the MFP website starts out at 1200 (which seems more reasonable).  Which one do most people follow?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@megs1980 wrote:

I just started using MFP and the calories are WAY different than FB website.  Before I do any activity the FB website only has me getting like 850 calories (which I know is way too low) while the MFP website starts out at 1200 (which seems more reasonable).  Which one do most people follow?

There's a reason why.

Read this, especially second half.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-a...

And don't try to follow 2 roads to the same destination, it'll just be confusing as you have discovered.

Oh, follow MFP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Just got a new fitbit HR.  used to have fitbit one.  MFP food info used to sync beautifully.  Now, it translates to the HR app for not only each item but then the summary.  so it looks like i have eaten double what i have.  i have tried to disconnect and reconnect but still same issue.

anyone else have this?  also, can't delete on fitbit app, have to go into computer to delete the extras.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just started using FitBit and I would like a little direction on the excersizing button.  Is it better to log on MyFitness, or use the button on the side of the FitBit.  When I excersize wearing the FitBit it is counting steps as well as my excersize time? Is that correct? 

Best Answer

Using exercise mode is easier @Calgary

Your buddy also counts steps when it's in exercise mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes