Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me, or does anyone else experience this?

So, my losing weight seems to be progressing kind of weirdly, and I mostly just want to know if anyone else has this happen.

I weigh myself daily, and am eating an approx calorie deficit of 1000 a day (2 lbs a week, right?) when I weigh myself, it's the same time of morning every morning and I drink the exact same amount of water before weighing myself (1500 mls first thing). My weight will only shift between the same 0.5 lb range (+/- 0.2 lbs of any given number) for 2-3 weeks at a time, and then literally between one day and the next I'll be down 5-6 lbs. it just seems weird to me that I maintain the same calorie deficit every day except for a cheat day once a week, and it progresses in lumps this far apart.

It happened again this morning. Since May 2, I have weighed in that +/- 0.2 lbs of 387.8 lbs. steady, up until today. today when I weighed myself I was magically down at 381.8 lb, 5 lbs lighter in a single day, and again I make certain to weigh myself under the same conditions every day. It just seems weird.

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I have noticed a similar thing happening to me. I called my mom about it and she said that I should try weighing myself one day a week instead of every day. I weigh myself every Sunday now. Even if i cave and check the day before I'll notice I lost very little or none at all and then on Sunday all the weight is gone. It's very strange.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see something similar, usually followed by a couple of days of another 1.0 lb loss.  If fact, just Saturday was my biggest daily "loss" - 6.8 lbs. 262.6 to 255.8. Seems physically impossible, as I weight every morning after using the restroom. (I am all ears if someone has a reasonable explanation)  My daily varies more than yours +/-3 or so lbs.

I try to push myself the 2 days after this, because I want to set the next plateau as low as I can.  I think it is very strange, but good to hear I am not the only one.  My monthly chart looks like a staircase down, but my 3 month view looks fairly smooth.

At first it was frustrating, but I know if all of my stats look good each day, the scale will catch up eventually.  The stats are the body blows, the scale is the scorecard to each round.  Saturday was a knock down round.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It is possible that what you are seeing is water weight loss. Monitor your fluid intake and output and compare that to your weight flux. I have to take a diaretic every day. On certain days I need to double dose; the next day I will be between 2-4 pounds lighter....

Hope that helps....
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My weight fluctuates wildly as much as 10 pounds or more a day. I've found daily weigh-ins are still best though. (I don't want to miss the "low" days by accident!) What I do instead is keep a spreadsheet with a running 7-day and 30-day average. I consider the 30 day average my "true" weight and use it to see if I'm making any progress or not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How is your sleep - I struggled for years and did everything but the weight would not come off, in fact it continued to increase.  Finally went for a sleep test and was diagnosed with extreme sleep apnea.  The more I tried to loose weight the harder my body fought against it because it was at war with itself.  After 6 months on the CPAP machine my weight is finally starting to drop and I am feeling much better.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the past felt I would have biggish losses in response to my exercise pattern. If I change up my exercise, my body would work to adjust/repair and during that time it retains a bit more water. Once it is recovered, it lets it go and I would see weight loss. While I was training for a marathon I would see this sometimes when I would up my miles significantly. I would start to feel like how could I not be losing when I'm working out so much more and then boom, the scale would reflect my efforts. So yes, it has happened to me. 🙂

Best Answer

@DarrkeThoughts- if you link your account on Fitbit to an account on trendweight.com it gives you a graphical trend of how you're progressing.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer