Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any scientific evidence that a scent can increase one's metabolism

Is there any scientific evidence that smelling a scent can increase one's metabolism?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

This study says smelling the scents will help you lose weight, not increase metabolism per se.

J. Neurol. Orthop. Med. Surg., 1995; 16:28-31.           

This is the only study I could find, although there are lots of sites that claim different scents will help.

The ones in the study are:

green apple

banana

Peppermint

Others I've seen mentioned without reference to a study:

Pink Grapefruit

Pumpkin

Oolong Tea

Whey

Apple

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know that diet trend Sensa was supposed to be based on smells enhancing fullness or something... But the FTC just called them out on false advertising: "deceptively advertised that the powdered food additive Sensa enhances food’s smell and taste, making users feel full faster, so they eat less and lose weight, without dieting, and without changing their exercise regime.  The defendants did not have competent and reliable scientific evidence to support these claims, according to the FTC’s complaint."

link: http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/01/sensa-three-other-marketers-fad-weight-loss-pr...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently, the study I posted was done by Hirsch, who is the inventor of Sensa, so there may be some doubt about the study he did. Of course the study was done with scent, and the Sensa product was a sprinkle on powder. But part of the claim for Sensa is that the powder "enhanced the smell and taste of food". Guess I'll keep apples, bananas, and peppermint around to see if smelling them will help me resist cravings. That wouldn't hurt and won't cost me anything because I have them around anyway. Just never tried smelling them when I have cravings 😉

Best Answer