Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 4th to September 7th 2020 Challenge

Hello and welcome to the 5th challenge of 2020!

We are celebrating our scaled and non-scaled victories and progress. Any one is welcome to join at any time, just hit reply on the most recent post and let us know a bit about yourself.

Following are some acronyms typically used by those who post. Some of us also track body fat or measurements, etc. please add those as you wish.

USW - Ultimate start weight

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight/weigh-in

LW - last weight/weigh-in

GW - goal weight for the challenge

MGW - mini goal weight

UGW- ultimate goal weight

To join the challenge, please just hit 'reply' and post!

If you want to respond to or 'tag' a particular person with your response, type in @ and you will get a drop down box of recent users to choose from, this will alert them that someone has responded to something they posted and we will all see who you are talking to or about. For example: @_Lilac_  hope to see you here!

Best Answer
0 Votes
72 REPLIES 72

Hi All, Just joining the group today. Want to get support and join a community to hold myself accountable. I am trying to lose weight and reduce my blood pressure. Covid-19 and sheltering in place really did a number on my recent weight gain and not being able to get out was a killer for my diet and my active lifestyle. So here we are.

USW - 187

SW - 184

CW - 184 (7/19)

PW - 187

LW - 184

GW - 180

MGW - 180

UGW - 165

Best Answer

Wow, what a day yesterday. I decided to finally get my IKEA dresser put together. It's a two person job but I was alone and it took 6 hours of elevated heart rate, muscle, brain power. At the end of it I'd burned 4400 calories, hurt allll over, and was fully exhausted. I ended the day at 5300 calories burned. So crazy. 

Today I'm resting to recuperate. I did lose a few pounds last week. I'll do a weigh in next Monday.

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

I'm enjoying seeing the messages on here, and glad to have a few new people!  Good luck on your journey!

USW - 260 (5/28)

SW - 241 (7/5)

CW - 239 (7/20)

GW - 228 (9/7)

Stretch goal - 221

UGW- 180

I haven't been as diligent as I should be, but continue to lose weight.  My back is finally feeling better, so I can play pickleball for 3-4 hours, and continue to walk 5-7 miles on the non-playing days.  I am throwing tennis back into the mix soon as well too since I'm able to run around again.

The fitbit continues to help, as I can make sure I am getting 10,000+ steps per day, and watching my calorie count as well.  I'm still eating too many fats, and not the right ones so I need to get that corrected and hopefully that will bring down my cholesterol and BP more.  I've been trying to snack more on fruits rather than cashews or peanuts too, which will hopefully help.  Cashews are just so **ahem** good!

Best Answer

Welcome @JoJo20  and hi all

Finally the scale moved down a little because I cut off food at about 9 PM.  I am trying not to snack so late to give my body a chance to burn my belly fat. Even a small loss is motivating. 

150  SW

148.2 CW

145    GW

142 UGW 

Last night I told my muncher self no, we want to lose weight & plan to do the same tonight.  Better eat dinner now as it is 6:10 then do my evening walk.  That should give me 8+ miles today. 

Stay strong weight warriors,

Barbara G

Best Answer

No progress at all for me, heck!  Still 118.   Hope everyone else is doing better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all,

SW 150

CW 148.2

GW 145

UGW 142

Hectic day today trying to solve the modem & booster problems at my house that cause sporadic bandwidth. Spent the afternoon & evening online with Xfinity tech support. Modem works pods do not. Grrr. Hours without the satisfaction of a full solution. Apple installed a new cell phone battery so hope that it lasts 4 more years !

Not eating now but want to and it is 11:10 PM. Need to drink some tea & go to sleep. 

Stay strong to meet your goal I am telling myself. 

All the best,

Barbara G

Best Answer
0 Votes

USW - 218.0

Current starting weight - 208.0 (7/4/20)

LW - 206.6

CW - 208.0

GW - 200.0 (9/7/20)

Stretch goal weight - 198.0

Mini goal - 195.00

UGW - 150.0

The recent heat index got to me. No movement, not enough water, fast food due to not wanting to cook. Of course this is all reflected in the scale.

Hope you are all doing better than I am!

Jumping back on the wagon today!!!!

Best Answer

Hello,

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Went up a little, but my visceral fat went down. I'll take it.

USW      236.4

CSW       215.6 (7/5/2020)

LW         213.4 (7/13/2020)

CW         213.6 (7/27/20)

Goal       195  (9/7/20)

Stretch  190

UGW     180

I hope you all have a great week.

Best Answer

October 2019 weighed 110

This AM........120 Ugh

@ 5'1" tall with little bones @ age 78

with 30% less muscle 

goal weight should be ? 90 - 100

In sub tropical humid Houston TX

Outdoor exercise is out

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I jumped back in this week. 

Met my step goal Monday and tracked my calories which were under my burn.

Missed my step goal by less than 500 yesterday. Haven't tracked yesterday's calories yet.

Hit halfway to my water goal both days.

Unfortunately all the stepping is not the best for my knee. I think I'm going to rest and ice it today and start back tomorrow. I'll concentrate on keeping the calories lower and see if I can up the water.

Best Answer

Today I weigh 118.8 and I am grateful it wasn't lots worse.  I was so involved in car repair and shopping I didn't have so much time at home to eat the usual junk.  Now if I can  avoid  celebrating....LOL😶

Best Answer

USW - 260 (5/28)

SW - 241 (7/5)

CW - 238 (7/31)

GW - 228 (9/7)

Stretch goal - 221

UGW- 180

Well I'm down a pound in 10 days.  That won't get me to my challenge goal, but still progress.  I should be doing better but better some progress than none.  Still doing a lot of exercise, playing pickleball 3 times a week and tennis 3 times per week now, and walking or biking as well.  That has me eating more, but still staying around 2500 calories or less most days.

Temperatures still in the 90's every day.  Pretty consistently 92-95 degrees.  We haven't hit 100 which is good.  This makes me sweat through my shoes so they are squishy when I'm playing pickleball and tennis by the end.  I'll be happy when I approach my ultimate goal weight and stop sweating so profusely.

Still happy to hear the progress from others.  Hitting plateaus forces a change in exercise or decreased caloric intake to get over the hump, then you keep moving towards the goal.  Keep on working at it everyone!

Best Answer

Hello all,

Glad that you are making progress or recommitting. After being stuck for months at around 150+ or- a lb. I read again about intermittent fasting having great results for weight loss. I decided simply to leave at least 13 to 15 hrs with only water or tea starting at 9 pm and drinking only coffee with almond milk & water in the morning until about 11 or 12:30.  Guess what it works ! In less than a month I dropped about 3.4 lbs.  The article I read explained that fasting allows us to go through our stored glycogen & then switch to burn our fat for fuel. It made sense to me. I'm getting in 7500 or more steps a day of just normal walking & as well as 1/2 hour dancing step 2x a week. Last night I had a salmon patty, a huge heap of steamed stir fry  veggies with ginger sesame sauce, fresh kale salad & a pear. So I think that I am listening to my sensible goal setter now even though I want those late night snacks after 9 pm. I realize that if I don't feel hungry I won't lose the weight. It is motivating to see even a tiny loss. Hope to keep this up as I was getting discouraged in the spring. 

One drawback is I have more wrinkles on my face as well as less belly fat. I guess at 79 yrs I just need to get used to it.    😷😐

USW 153

SW 150   

CW 146.6

GW 147 changed to 145 on 8/1

UGW 142

All power to our inner health coach. Stay strong,

Barbara G

Best Answer

Hi all, I've been trying to low carb my way to weight loss, a strategy that's worked in the past. I started on July 1st and got a Fitbit Inspire (basic model)on the 12th and have been pushing to get 10,000 steps a day. I have to go for a 4 km walk in the morning to get it done usually. It's going much slower this time, an average of 1.5 lbs a week, but I feel a little fitter everyday. I LOVE the walk, I hope I can keep it up when the seasons change. Thanks for the challenge - it's fun and motivating.

USW - 225

SW - 225

CW - 218 

GW - 210

MGW - 180

UGW- 155

Best Answer
0 Votes
Excellent start and welcome aboard.
Barbara G
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone,

Since I dropped my daily step goal to 5000, I do reach it just from work. Now I know how many steps I get in a day just from work. So the rest has to come from working out. I will increase it a little every week.

USW      236.4

CSW       215.6 (7/5/2020)

LW         213.6 (7/27/20)

CW         209.8 (08/03/20)

Goal       195  (9/7/20)

Stretch  190

UGW     180

We have over 4 weeks to go!

I think about: why am I in the challenge, why am I tracking my weight goals, my food, my water.

Why: So I can be healthy and stronger and mentally strong

OH! and to fit into those Jeans I’m holding on to - 😊

Stay Focused Stay Strong and Enjoy Your Week

Best Answer
0 Votes

Near senior citizen wanting to lose 15 pounds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's really great that you get 5000 steps just from work. I'd heard that without extra exercise a person would get about 3000 steps a day, but for me, I'm so sedentary in my work and my commute that I could  get less than 1000 steps in a day! Your lifestyle is good. And increasing a bit each week is probably really achievable.

Best Answer

I have really tried to use some restraint this week.  I was

getting scared by my weight continuing going up.  

October  2019 --110

recently 120

today 116.6.    Thank goodness

I'm 5'1.5" with little bones and less muscle

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all  

Joining mid-way through.  After a health issue in March I really committed to taking care of my health more diligently.  I've been focusing on my eating habits. I have been using the app to log my food, trying to keep a deficit but not super strict.  Trying to listen to my body more in general.  

USW: 285

UGW: 120 (mid-range normal BMI) 

SW: 270 (7/4)

GW: 258

CW: 265 (8/4)

Best Answer
0 Votes