Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Well, Helena, I guess the answer depends on how you define "older women".  You didn't mention your age!  I'm 58.  Sometimes I feel like THAT'S old, but my 81 year old mother would disagree with me!

Best Answer

Agree dp9, I'm soon to be the same age as you (in 2 days) and a diabetic so losing is a challenge for sure!

Laura
Best Answer

@ Laura - my main reason for getting the fit bit is to try and pull my glucose and cholesterol #s down.  I started walking with dieting  a few years ago and was doing well.  45 min. walks each day and then I fractured my foot (apparantly from walking!)  so I stopped.  Took several months to heal and then I was afraid to walk again.  My annual check-up this august gave me a scare.  My cholesterol and triglycerides and fasting glucose were all above normal.  So I started dieting and walking again but lacked consistency.  I find it easy to rationalize why it's ok to skip "just this one morning"....  So I used my Hanukkah gelt and bought myself a fit bit.  I just started using it a few days ago and WOW what a motivator it is!  Seeing those step #s (or the lack of them) is the push I needed to get moving!

Best Answer

Hi dp9!!  I've been changing eating and exercise habits for the last couple years - going organic, eliminating caffeine and sugar, increasing the exercise regime and now added the fitbit.  Luckily, I do not have issues with cholesterol but have not always had such good luck with the A1c or daily glucose levels. I am not a good journal keeper (never have been) so I typically start something and then quit.  So far, it has been 5 days and I'm still recording and still enjoying and getting more and more into doing it! Have kept it up even though I've been sick since Saturday.  Made at least 5,000 steps on one day! This could be my turning point after 50 years!  LOL!  Anyway, I'm loving it and enjoying the community.  Hearing others stories is helping keep the motivation going............. 

Laura
Best Answer

Hi Laura,

Just got back from my walk.  I'm up to 30 minutes a day!  I've been vegetarian and organic for 30 years.  Yet still managed to put an an extra 55 lbs in that time!  I used to blame it on my pregnancy, but my son recently turned 27 so that excuse boat has sailed!  And believe me, I used it for a lot longer than dignity would allow.  I have recently cut out almost all dairy (I still have my half a cup of 1% milk with my morning latte - can't give it up!).  2 years ago I weighed 184lbs. and I'm only 5'2".  I dropped down to 174 and then yo-yo'd between for the last 2 years til my wake up call in August.  I'm down to 156, but still have 26 lbs to go to reach my immediate goal.  At which point I want to  drop an extra 10 lbs in case of "relapse".  When I was young it was so easy to lose weight.  At this age it's really an effort.  It helps to know I'm not alone!  

Best Answer

I just turned 63 and feel that I have to work three times as hard to lose the weight.  I recently joined a gym with a pool.  I highly recommend water aerobics and swimming.  In the pool I can jump and run and leap and hurdle.  My body feels so light.  I hope all of you who are hitting a wall try it.  It is absolutely wonderful. 

Best Answer

I've done the yo-yo thing for so long and I hate it!!!  I'm at my heaviest right now (too embarrased to share yet) and just can't take it any longer so since October I've been ramping up the exercise and now with the fitbit I feel like I will have better control over the calories.  Looking forward to Thursday so I can get back in the studio and get  weighed/measured by my trainer.  Keeping fingers crossed in hoping to see improvements as I will have been using the fitbit for a full week.  Excited to show her what I've accomplished and get her guidance.  Happy New Year!!

Laura
Best Answer

I'm 63 and work out too.  I had a knee replacement a few months ago, so I'm ready to get back to the gym.  I've done treadmill, eliptical, free weights.  I just began Zumba gold last week.  I danced to regular for about 18 months prior to my knne replacement.  Slowly working back into it. I signed up for 10 pwersonal trainer sessions and will begin to train next week.  I have to repair all the damage to my body I incurred during my months before and after surgery.  Let's follow and support each other. Happy New Year!

Rubygirl
Best Answer
Hi rubygirl,
I love the fitbit, it really gets me moving. I belong to Curves, 15 years but I don't feel it is helping any more. I go to a personal trainer 3 times a week and loving it. My goal is to compete in a mini triathlon
In August. I have never done anything like this before. Let's keep each other motivated.
Best Answer

I was doing water areobics for a couple of months. At that point the pool are needed a new roof and a 5 day project turned into 2 months. Now I feel I am getting more out of the gym and zumba classes than I did in the pool.  It's an uphill battle for me all the time. Let's keep supporting each other. Happy New Year everyone!!

Rubygirl
Best Answer

Hello all,

I am 54.  I think the term older could refer to menopause because that is when things started to change.  It seems so much harder to drop weight and stay strong.  I look forward to learning from some of you have found methods to help you reacquaint yourselves with a whole different metabolism.

Best Answer

I am 60 and weigh what I did when I had my second son. I got a fitbit for christmas and have not hit 10000 steps yet but find myself taking the stairs more and checking my steps frequently during the day. No more short cuts i take the long way around at work to get in extra steps and what I use to do in one trip I know do in several just to get more steps. I did not feel well today, think I have a gi bug and only got 3000 steps, so hope I feel better tomorrow and can almost hit my 10000.

Best Answer
Hi Kimmy - As a fellow Kim and also 54, I decided to buy the fitbit as my Christmas gift from my hubby (just so easier to pick out what I want!) and started using it on the 27th. It really makes me stay on task! I want to lose 20 pounds and I'm doing the 10,000 steps a day no matter what. I've done Weight Watchers and the Atkins Diet years ago - just a little fit it is making me stay on course!
Best Answer

Hi Helen,  

I am 61 and just got mine for Christmas.  Trying to get in shape and drop a few pounds.  I had knee replacement in Oct, so I'm moving slowly, but hoping to improve.  Lets keep in touch.  Carol

Best Answer

Hi i am 54 and recently lost 45lbs, i am finding it difficult to maintain and have had a nightmare over Christmas and New Year. I received my Fitbit for Christmas and started using it on the 29th, I was having a 'sloth like' day today when i realised that i had only walked 390 steps so forced myself out for an hour of walking and my reading is now over 12000! Monday is my day to start losing the pounds i have gained and I am determined to hit at least 7,000 steps a day. Good luck to you all, lets post regularly and let each other know how we are progressing 🙂

Best Answer

i am 62 and looking forward to having fitbit with me - i like working out at gym

Best Answer

Nice to have you on board, lets keep each other motivated

Best Answer

Count me in! I've had my Fitbit for a while now and do have a hard time hitting 10,000 steps. Especially now in the winter (Minnesota). No excuses, but I have to say when you get home from work and it's dark it's hard to work out.

Supporting each other is great!

I started yesterday reminding myself to move more during the day and not forget to get up from the desk. It was hard to remember! You get involved in a project and a couple of hours go by before you know it. 

Best Answer

I am 62 and in the same boat - did so well the first two weeks of December (gym every night after work) and I received my fitbit for Christmas to help me - but the 2 weeks of the holiday have been so hard to fit every thing in - MONDAY IS THE DAY FOR NEW BEGINNINGS -  but the fitbit is a constant reminder of my day and I do try and get my 10,000 steps

Best Answer