Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

I am 63 and Loved reading your post - my doctor had told me for years to get up from my desk every hour and walk a little bit (for my knees) and with my fitbit I am doing it plus taking the long way to the bathroom - it feels so good to feel the vibration at 10,000 steps and must admit I walk until I do it - fridays are rough for me as I work days and drive north (2 hrs) and my time is not my own, but now the days are longer and I walk until I get the vibration 

Best Answer
Good for you :)I am 62 and this fitbit is my best friend 🙂 I they and get
in 12000 everyday but for sure 10000. I don't want to do more that 12000 as
that is 5 miles and thats enough. Also it comes to a place of diminishing
returns. I don't want to hurt myself. As it is my shoulder is out of
commission but as soon as its better I will add some swimming and yoga
maybe even some weights 🙂

--
www.MarilynLJewelry.com
Best Answer
Sounds good...I'm working up to ten thousand....you guys are all an
inspriation
Best Answer
Good for you but don't wait. Do weights now. There are very light weights that you can buy and work with. Small gentle moves with weights can be possible especially for the uninjured arm.

I walk and run in the pool. The pool does not have to be solely for swimming. I recommend wearing swim shoes so you don't rough up your feet.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
great ideas 🙂 hoe u had a good stepping day today. just back from my
second walk and made my goal of 12000

--
www.MarilynLJewelry.com
Best Answer

@helena wrote:
Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.

Sounds great Helena !  Keep on moving !  I am in my upper 50s and very active for my age - hope to be as active as you when I get to 70 - keep on rocking it !

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

Happy to see so many other Boomers on board! I'm 63. Have used FitBit + LoseIt religiously for about 3+ years - can't remember exactly (old-timers!) I started with the very first FitBit... so *that* long. I walk (just walk) about 12,000 - 14,000 steps a day, which for me is around 6 miles on a good day. I find the combination of these apps, along with a healthy, low calorie diet ~ and TOTAL honesty ~ to be the Magic Bullet!

5 years ago, I was nearly 265 pounds at 5' 7". I was miserable! I am now under 120 pounds. I tell everyone who asks "What's your secret?" about FitBit and have made several converts. Losing weight stopped my T2 Diabetes in it's tracks, lowered my cholesterol, heart rate and blood pressure to perfect! No more pills! No more scolding Doctor! Fewer migraines as well.

Walking helps lessen my arthritis pain, fights bone loss, cheers me up and clears my mind. I'll never be a super model, but I look and feel far younger than my years. So win - win!

Best Answer

I'm 46 and after reading this post; I'm heartened to know that I'm not the only one who feels you are never too late to take a healthier approach (although I'll admit I probably waited the longest!).  My husband and I are on a healthier lifestyle kick.  

Currently, I'm using the Elliptical, Treadmill and weights.

Thanks for posting such honesty in your ages!!  Makes the rest of us feel less alone.

Best Answer

The topic just caught my eye.  Will be 80 in a couple of weeks, and am in love with my Fitbit.  It keeps me motivated, although I can't keep up with you young sixty-year-olds.

Best Answer

Helene,

I am over 70, also do yoga and am needing to lose some weight.  My cholesterol is high and I can't take statins (major muscle spasms), so I have started some big lifestyle changes.  So far, so good, but I am looking for all of the support I can get.

J.

Best Answer

Will be 73 soon and am starting over after gaining 15 lbs this winter. Also had a broken FitBit - and got a new one a few months ago - but just now installed it this evening. (took me awhile to figure out what a "dongle" was!  Did lose  2 lbs last week.  Will feel a little better when the winter 15 are gone - but actually have a total of 75 lb weight loss as a goal.  Will start counting steps again tomorrow. 10,000 is too many steps for me right now - but will start with a goal of 6000 and work my way up.  Cannot jog but will also start to use my "cardio-glider" in 2 weeks - as soon as my office manager job ends.  Got to get in shape for my new career in the Fall - watching my 6 and 9 yr old granddaughters after school!! 

Best Answer
-- 2lbs in a week is great! Looking forward to hearing all you moving
stories 🙂 If you like join us at the Activity discussion boards.Seek
"Women over 60" We are a really lively bunch!
www.MarilynLJewelry.com
Best Answer

Hi - I know I am only 53 but My arthritis thinks I am 70! Seriously though, the fitbit is showing me that I can make changes that will increase my calorie burn with some effort (and a few painkillers!) and that if I keep moving I can even be stronger and leaner than I have been for a long while. I dont want to look at the scale anymore - I think the proof is in the other numbers - fitbit showing that I am making the 10K and myfitnesspal showing that I am watching my intake - 'synced' with the fitbit program. I love that I feel like I am competing against my fitbit - every day I want to make those happy faces!

Best Answer
Please try aquatic aerobics and swimming. I hurt my knees last summer and had to go through therapy. Aqua therapy led me to the pool as the next step. It did wonders. I am well enough now to go to zumba and do weightlifting (mild level). The pool classes are fabulous because the impact is so much less in the water. My gym also has a jacuzzi and sauna which will also give you some relief. If there isn't a gym close to yo that offers the pool, it is worth driving a distance 2 or 3 times a week to get there. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Oh Oh! too much too soon - took 2 senior exercise classes yesterday and now hurting too much to go to chair yoga.  Oh well, there is housework to do. I have found that my goal of 6000 steps is too much some days - so I will do what I can and maybe will be OK with 6000 in 6 weeks when I turn 73.  I have been parking my car farther away from stores/gym and not using my handicapped placard unless the arthritis is super bad and walking is painful.The weight is slowly but surely going down.  Bev

Best Answer

I am trying the fitbit too and I will be 70 in Oct. No weight loss at all yet but only on it for 2 days==this is the 3rd day. I always have more calories going out then I am eating and I don't really feel I am giving anything up except the junk food. So far I am frustrated but I know at my age it is going to be slow so we shall see.

I am excited to try it because if its as easy as burn more calories then you eat then I can do it==that said I am still waiting to see that work

Best Answer

Do you wear your Fitbit in the pool?

Best Answer

Kruger good on  you for being out there at 70 wishing you happy stepping Woman HappyHelen

Best Answer
Yes I wear it in the pool

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
thanks for the motivation finally after 3 days I showed more then a pound lost.
That said my fit flex is not working have a call into them, I don't think its charging==just my luck
Hopefully with their help it won't take to long to get it going again.
If they it running I am buying a 2nd battery for sure

thanks again Kruger
Best Answer