Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Hi everyone..I am 61 and received my fitbit for my birthday in November . I stopped using it around Christmas but started again today. I am glad there is a group of us out there to relate too. I have had two knee replacments and have had alot of success since then. I am going to be a first time grandma in February so I really want to get healthy because my cholestrol numbers are high and can not take the meds. Lets all support each other and be healthy in 2014Smiley Happy Good luck to everyone and remember its a slow process but we must never give up because we will never get this time back.

Best Answer

I am 56.  Great going on exercising.  I am just getting back into it all.  I was down a good 20 pounds and then stress happened.  Well I am always stressed but my husband and sisters and I were taking care of my father who died on 4/11/2013.  We were more one on one with him from end of Oct 2012 to April 11 2013.  So now I am trying to control things again.  UGH.  It does feel good when I work out.  I used to do 10,000 to 20,000 steps per day and I am hoping to get up to that again.

Best Answer
I'm 66 and love this method of tracking. I have about 25 lb. to lose. I will be seeking a personal trainer when I recover from a snow shovelling injury
Best Answer

Good morning everyone!  Well, I almost made it to 8,000 steps yesterday so feel I am making great strides (no pun intended) to 10,000 steps.  So, today I am determined that I make it but had to charge the little bugger up.  Well, dedicated as I am I kept on a walking, walking, walking and after about 15 minutes it hit me - the tracker was hooked up to the computer and not me!!!!  LOL!!!  So, with a renewed determination I am reattached and going for it!  Have a great day everyone!

Laura
Best Answer

Hi Guys,

So pleased to hear how well each of you are doing with your fitbit.  I as yet haven't reached my 10,000 step goal.  Yesterday I did over 6,000 and today, I'm paying for it.  My knees are screaming.  Maybe, I'm pushing it a little to fast.(had knee surgery in Oct)  Oh well, I plan on resting up a little today and getting back on track.  The cold weater also makes it harder for me to get out and exercise.  Hopefully by Spring, I'll be climbing up and down the mountain.  Keep motivated.  Carol

Best Answer

Boy do you sound just like me.  I have a 27 yeaar old as well and can't movee without my coffee and lattes.  They are the one thing I just can't give up.  Hope we all keep up the work.  it would be wonderful to see improvement in 2014.  I lost 15lbs when I was having my knee trouble.  Now I'd like to keep it off and lose another 30 at least.  I'm only 5'3", so can't carry all the weight without damanging my knees.  Been there, done that, never again.  C

Best Answer
I made an increase in my steps by parking on one side of the mall and walking to the other side. Just don't shop!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi everyone. I am 53 and got my fitbit for christmas. I have been using it for the last five days and already notice a difference, not so much in the physical (except for the soreness) but in the wayI am thinking about ways to stay active and get my steps in. Almost a little addictive. I dont go to the gym; had too many experiences with weirdos. I do have trails around my home, I love doing Zumba on the WII, and I got an Elliptical for Christmas. So there you have it. No excuse for me right? I look forward to getting to know you. I am always around. Have a great weekend everyone and keep putting one foot in front of the otherSmiley Happy

Best Answer
I had knee issues in August. I had 2 cycles of therapy. Swimming and water aerobics were highly recommended. I found a gym that has a pool and aerobics. It is worth every penny I pay for the membership.

I am the slowest swimmer ever. I doggie paddle. However I feel so good about making improvements. So please consider trying something different.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I am sorry for your loss...being a caregiver is consuming.
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Start walking. Set reasonable goals.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I just turned 66 in October and got my Fitbit for Christmas (because I hinted BIG time).  I had been walking for 45-60 a day, but got out of the habit when I had to change venues for walking -- can't walk outside in the Valley of the Sun, the heat will kill you! -- but started again in July by walking in the malls.  It's hard on the knees, but I managed to lose 15 pounds, but keeping up the motivation is so hard.  The Fitbit gives me an extra push.  The first time I got that little vibration after hitting my 10,000 steps, I felt so good I did it again the next day.  My knees are keeping me to about 30 minutes a day, with a little stationary bike thrown in, but I feel so much better.  I'm diabetic, and I can't wait to see what my next A1c is.  I know my meter is loving it.

Nancy the Texas Gal

Best Answer

It sounds like we have a nice group of ladies out here to help keep each other on task. I especially appreciate the personal reach out from Kim1959.

I will share what I am doing:

Since I hate the to track stuff like calories, steps, exercise, I have committed the month of January to tracking.  If I do nothing else right, I will track what I am eating and drinking.  Fitbit makes tracking what you are doing easy.  The reason I have committed to this is because I find I do better when I am tracking.  If I know that peanut butter bite with salt has 77 calories in it and I track it, you can bet I am probably not going to eat 3 of them.

So far, I am doing well.  I have tracked everyday for about 6 days now and I have dropped a couple of pounds.  The tracking also reminds me to drink water so I have been getting that in and feel so much better (and less hungry) when hydrated.

I work on the 10th floor at work so I am hauling my sorry behind up those steps every morning.  I also am taking a break midday, going to the parking garage (snow, cold and ice here), and walking from the bottom level up to the top.  Some days I go to the 4th floor at work, walk the perimeter, take the steps up to the 5th floor and do the same up to the 10th.  If I only have 10 minutes, I might only do 2 floors.

I am now printing to the furthest printer from me.  I am taking the long route to the ladies room.

These are things that are helping meet the calorie, water, and steps goals. Do any of you have specific things that are helping you?

Kimmy

Best Answer

Hi , I'm 60 soon to be 61/ I don't feel old,lol. I just got my fitbit. Need to lose some regained weight ( at least 40 lbs.) So I rejoined WEIGHT WATCHERS AND will start walking on Jan 7th. Glad to know that there are people out there that's in my age group the are still getting healthy. Heart

Best Answer
You are doing great Kimmy. Lots of changes and some good ideas. I work on
the 8th floor and maybe I will have to start doing some of what you are
doing.

--
Kaia Kalscheuer
Independent Distributor: feelinggreatwith.mymangosteen.com
Learn more at www.xango.com/science/xanthones
Best Answer

Kaia, 

I welcome a stairs buddy.  Start slow.  Like take the steps to the 4th floor and then ride the elevator up.  I tend to lift up prayers while on the steps.  If you are the praying type, you might find that a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Best Answer

I'm new to fitbit and loving it. I'm almost 75 and have just lost 20 pounds and am using fitbit to keep me going shedding some more. Wonder if you've heard of Juice Plus for lowering cholesterol and supporting the whole system— not a supplement but real food in a capsule. I have had good success and several clients whose numbers got dramatically better— cholesterol and diabetes as well. Check out gwenoneill.com for info. Good luck!

Best Answer

Hi! I'll be 60 years old in a few weeks,February 2,so I think I could be classed as an older woman,so I hope that I can join in.I agree that I love my fitbit because it gives me incentive to get off the couch and get moving to see how many steps I can get.I joined a gym a couple of months ago because I knew that it would be cold here soon and I wanted to keep exercising no matter the weather.I haven't missed going many days,except when I go to my TOPS meetings every Thursday,because I really love exercising.That is a shock coming from a dedicated couch potato,like I was!

Best Answer

I am 56 and have always been pretty active.   But over the last 8 months I've put on about 10 lbs.  Love the fitbit.   Have already reached 20,000 in a day.   I do walk a lot at work.   I just need to watch what I eat as I'm very fussy and love my sweets.  But I started on the 1st and have promised to weigh in only once a week.   Hope this keeps me on track.  I  have kept a food journal for 6 years now-----------I find that really helps too.   Nice to have the support of others.

Best Answer

I am loving all of the tips and encouragement on this thread and wondered if its possible to start a group so that we can find us all quickly. I am new to this so not sure if this is possible.  I am back to work tomorrow and start to eat more healthily to lose those darn Christmas pounds.  I am not managing my 10000 steps at the moment and hope that going back to work will help. i am going to do the walking up the stairs and using the loo that is furthest away from my desk, it will be interesting to see how many steps that adds. Good luck everyone for the coming week Smiley Happy Rowdee xx

Best Answer