Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Fantastic Kim! I park farther away in the parking lot, walk the campus where I work instead of scanning/emailing, only 2 floors but walk it instead of the elevator. Have to begin stairs in my bosses building now instead of elevator! 

Also, take advantage of the fitness program at work and try to walk 3 days/week, 3 miles each day. Do Zumba 2 to 3 days a week and have added a personal trainer on 2 days. Started this routine in October and while no great loss to report, I can say that I'm getting stronger and feeling better. Fell last Feb and pulled my shoulder bad and it still hasn't fully healed so this is helping with that too.

This is a great way to share all our tips and tricks!    Laura

Laura
Best Answer

Way to go Pat!! Sounds like you are on the way!

Laura
Best Answer

Hi peejay – my biggest challenge will be tracking my food, etc. I have never been one to stick with it but am finding that the fitbit is making it so much easier and fun! Once i get back to work after this holiday – of which most of the time I was sick, I will be anxious to see how many steps I can do in a normal work day! 

Laura
Best Answer

Don't know Rowdee but I've got the thread set to send me emails when someone responds. Can be a little overwhelming in the old inbox but I can keep track of the various conversations.

Laura
Best Answer
Hi

Be sure to ice. If your knees are screaming I think you should listen. When I did not listen I hurt myself more and made my recovery longer.

My therapist had me doing leg lifts with weights to strengthen my hips. One pound weights 10 reps 3 sets. Lie on back front lifts. Side leg lifts on belly for back. Stand up for leg sweeps.

I am still doing them as part of my regimen every other day. It's easy watching tv.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I'm 5'3" too. I agree the weight has held me back. I love the water aerobics and it makes me feel weightless. I can run leap hurdle and jump. Things I do not do out of the pool. Plus it is a fabulous workout.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Good luck with your progress. Maybe you tried the wrong gym or we are all a bit weird!!

I have stuff at home too but I love the push of all of the others in the classes.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
It's easier if you do it right away after you eat. Then it's fresh in your mind.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I just went out to the groups to look and found one for 50's plus menopausal women who are active and battling weight.  I joined it.  It might be a great place to start.

Best Answer

Sounds like you are doing pretty good so far.   I love my eliptical and all the other machines I have in my home gym.   But sometimes after working 10 hour days, you just want to relax when you get home.   But I just keep going like the energizer bunny and that's after my work day already recordd 17,000 today.   So determined to lose these 10 lbs.   Everyone just encourage each other.   We Can DO this.

Best Answer

At 53 I am proud to be an "older woman". My husband and I are using Fitbt to get back into shape after letting our selves go for the past 5 years.  As a health care provider I know there is nothting more unhealthy than being middle age and over weight- 10 pnds down since the beginning of December!!!

Best Answer

I'm using my FitBit to stay focused and to improve my health, reduce blood pressure and lose weight.  So far, it's all working however, I'm not losing much weight.  Can't seem to shed more lbs.  5 more is all I need.

Best Answer

I'm 58 and have changed my weight over the last 10 years by more than 20 lbs.  Up and down.  Not because I eat poorly but because I probably didn't combine the two.  Menopause hit me at 54 as well and I lost 20 lbs through Weight Watchers.  Became a leader and then it all came back.  I got frustrated and over the last 2 years I gained  back 15.  This year, I got fed up and was determined to get off my meds and lose weight.  Blood pressure was high and I am at the point where I will be able to get off the meds.  I work out every day for at least 1-2 hours with cardio and resistance training.  I met with a trainer, tweeked my diet a bit and still cannot lose but 4 lbs.  My waist has changed and I feel better.  But find it a challenge to lose the weight still.  I am going to be persistent and quick worrying about the number and focus on my body and how it feels and how my clothes fit.  I'm sure I'll think about the number too, but trying not to. 

Best Answer

New to this and looking for friends around my age 53! How to go about that?

Best Answer

Sounds like a good plan Greatscott516!  I feel your pain and am struggling with trying to get a handle on this weight thing.  So far, the FB is the only thing that is keeping me focused and rewarding me with results when I complete the steps or water or exercise.  I go tonight for my weigh in so hoping for some inches and some pounds gone!  Keep up the good work!

Laura
Best Answer

Hi, Kimmy!  I'm right there with you.  I'm 51 with 3 kids (HS, MS and Kindergarten) and very pre-menopausal.  I've been on the weight roller coaster my whole adult life.  This time around my intent is to go slow.  I've set my goal as 1/2 lb per week for two reasons.  First, I want to succeed every day.  Second, I want to make this a program I can stick with.  If it takes me a year to lose the 25-30 lbs I'm aiming for then maybe the  changes will be lasting.  

Best Answer

I an 61 and have gone to weight watchers for 3 years and lost 45 pounds.  Feel like it taught me how to eat.  Now I am realizing I have to work on the tougher issues.  Why I eat.  I have 15 more pounds to go and really want to make it and maintain it this time.  Good luck.

Best Answer

Hi Kimmy11

I am with you!  I just turned 55 and all of a sudden, I hit menopause, have horrendous hot flashes, and gained so much weight that I weigh more than I did the day I gave birth to my second child (an 11 pound baby)!!!  It is crazy.  The fitbit is really making me walk - I've become rather obsessed.  But I think the best thing is tracking my food.  I mean, I am logging EVERYTHING I eat.  I thought I wasn't eating any differently but the truth was I was doing a lot of face stuffing!  HA HA.  I've been at this FitBit seriously for about a month (started during Christmas) so we will see how it goes.  I'm glad there are others out there who will share this journey.  Good luck.  Stay on the threads.

Best Answer

I just set-up my account today and am a bit confused about how activity is recorded.  Do I need to manually enter my treadmill activity?  I don't know if fitbit is picking up this activity or just routine movement throughout the day.  I did 3 miles today and entered it and I'm getting a total recording of 9000 steps for the day which I find hard to believe.  

Best Answer
You can figure about 2,000 steps per mile and it should take about 20 minutes per mile at a comfortable pace. I'm 5'5". So your numbers sound about right.
Best Answer