Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087
Dear Peggy

I hurt myself this August and had to go to doctors and therapy for my knees. During that time I was horrified by what my life might become. I could hardly walk to the bathroom.

Horrible as it was it gave me clarity. I did not want to be old before my time. My 91 year old mother in law was getting around better than me. I knew I had to rehab and focus on ME.

It sounds very selfish but that is what I have done. My exercise my health my food must be my focus.

Since I made that decision I have gotten my family to support it and me. I wake and eat a smart breakfast and then hit the gym.

I have retired so I do know how hard it is to fit in the exercise. But you must. Get a calendar. Make a workout schedule and a food plan.

And then say no to your family. You must say yes to yourself first every single day. They can fill in the gaps and you still will be able to help them a bit. But if you are to be strong you need time for yourself.

It's been about a month since I'm completely out of physical therapy for my knees and I feel wonderful. I'm eating well doing the gym and using the Fitbit to keep me focused. I've even been able to do a low impact Zumba.

Good luck. I will hold you in my heart and send good thoughts your way. You deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Word of advice - have lost 40 pounds with my Fitbit this past year - everything in moderation - injuries have occurred here and there in the last year - but I have learned to "listen to my body."  

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
Way to go Kathy. I am looking to lose 30 pounds and really get in shape so I can do a mini marathon in
August. My personal trainer thinks this is an attainable goal. I just want to get out of my comfort zone.
Best Answer

I'm in the American Heart Association BetterU challenge.  I'm losing more inches than I am weight.

48 years old and got told I was obese at 210 and 5'8".  It shocked me since I was the one who couldn't gain weight when I was younger (in my 20s got horribly sick and lost 15 pounds in 3 days and it changed my metabolism to not being able to gain weight). 
Then 4 kids and a back injury helped me pack on 75 pounds.  Prednisone started me with the first 26 pounds.

I'm doing this weight loss thing the healthy way...exercise and eating healthy, but doggone it, the slow weightloss is discouraging.

Can anyone else relate to losing only a few pounds a week, or mostly inches? I've lost one jeans' size since Thanksgiving.

Last week I pulled a muscle in my back and wasn't allowed to work out (even missed a day of work).

Now, I'm upping my exercise.

Any advice from others who are struggling with seeing all the ads and friends doing the crash diets and losing mega pounds?

Best Answer
I weigh 165 have not been this weight in 30
Years trying to loose 20 lbs would be interested in American heart challenge

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hi,

I just reached 160 and can't really remember how long it has been. Too long that's for sure. Since it's cold I'm mall walking to get in some more steps.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I'm ignoring them.

Yes, the inches are changing faster than the weight... I feel fabulous and made it a point to try all of my pants on. My pjs are even loose.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
What do I search under on Facebook?

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
You sound like you are doing a fantastic job. Congrats and keep plugging.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Call Rockford Illinois American Heart Association.  Rockford Health Systems is joined with them for the BetterU challenge.  WIFR.com our local tv station has been following us.

Best Answer

Hi.  Just turned 63, have diabetes and I am retired.  I have more gym equipment than an actual gym but I can never motivate myself long enough to keep using the equipment.  We are talking treadmill, bench, Total Gym, mini trampoline, etc.  I also tried the WII but again no motivation.  I thought twice about the Fitbit (mainly because of the price) and did buy one for myself as a belated Christmas present January 6.  I have been averaging over 5,300 steps a day.  I make sure I walk up and down steps in my house (Cape) just to get use to the Fitbit.  So far it's working great.  I have lost 3.5 pounds since my purchaset.  Once the weather warms up (I live in Massachusetts) I'll be walking.  I have learned that by reading stories from others it has giving me more incentive to get off my butt and do something.  I don't sit and watch TV all day and try to keep moving.  I have received a few "badges" already - which makes me want to do more. 

Best Answer

I was told a long time ago that I would lose myself if I did not take at lease 1 HOUR FOR MYSELF everyday - i was quitting my part time job and going to work full time and my boss was right - I am in the same boat you are but I do enjoy going to the gym for at least an hour and I feel that is my time - then back to the hustle and bustle - so keep on trucking and remember YOU ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU

Best Answer
i am 62 and also lots of equipment - i have a rower and treadmill in one house - and lots of weights and leg weight machines as well and an eliptical and treadmill in my other (weekend house which is my future retirement home) but I also do not utilize them as I should - very sad - that is why I joined Planet Fitness and i love it - I stop on my way home from work (it is literally right on my drive home) workout for 1 to 1-1/2 hrs and them go home - get home by 6:30 - 7:00 and feel great - then if I feel like it I walk my treadmill and watch tv at 8:00 while my son is sleeping (as he works nights) so he catches a nap at this time - has worked out great
Best Answer

I struggle with this regularly.  I'm a stay at home mom to 3 kids (high school, middle school & kindergarten) and the greatest part of my time is spent meeting the needs of others.  I find it really hard to step away from the daily busy-ness & walk or go to the gym.  When people ask me what I do for fun, I don't really have an answer.  Anyone with thoughts on this?  

On the plus side, my tracker apparently thinks pushing a shopping cart through Costco is "moderate" exercise!!

Best Answer

Hi, I'm 73 and got my fitbit for Christmas and I'm loving it.  I have had both knees replaced, do water aerobics twice a week (which my doctor really supports) I also go to the gym 3 mornings a week and work with a trainer every other week.  Just trying to stay healthy is hard work!  Love tracking the steps, its a real eye opener.  Find myself walking around the house during commercials when I'm not quite in the zone.  Some aspects still have me confused, but working on it.  Happy New Year to all and keep up the good work.  Lil

Best Answer
I completely agree... While I talked to my mom in law today I did laps around my house.
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Hi Bobhol. Welcome. I am so glad to see that there others out in the community that believe in exercise as we age. I fine the fit tracker very motivating.
Best Answer
I guess you are in a crunch. The minute the kindergarten child leaves go to the gym and do your workout. Forget the house till you take care of yourself. You'll have more energy, feel stronger, and be proud of yourself.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I think you need a gym outside of your house for awhile. I like getting out I see others and it helps push me. I can see others walking, biking, rowing, dancing, swimming, or whatever.. I want to do a spinning class but don't think I'm ready yet so I've been on the bike to build up my time. Think about it. I hope you change it up.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Hi, you may be thinking of someone else. I do go to a gym, 3 days a week and work with a trainer. Also do water aerobics. Have had two knee replacements and the doctor loves that I'm doing all of this.

Take care and keep on walking!

Lil
Best Answer