Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087
Hi maryyorkies, Glad you joined the fitbit community. I would be lost without my fitbit. It is very hard to get active minutes. The only time I get a lot of active minutes is when I am doing weight training with my trainer. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get outside with my dogs and take some nice long walks. Any time to want to chat drop me a line.
Best Answer

I'm with you!  I can't wait until the weather warms up so I can walk my dogs. I'm 63 and try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week.  I've lost 11 pounds since 12/26 but would like to lose about 30 more.  I Zumba 2x a week and cardio and strength 2x a week.  Knee replacement last summer and just getting strength back.

Rubygirl
Best Answer

Hi Helena just got my fitbit after Christmas I feel doog about my self because I know i have done somethimg good for myself .Iam 67 next birth and want to live a fit and health long life I have about 20lb to lose High 4ft 11in weight 153 lb  . I would to join you Helen

Best Answer
I am 63 and have been using it since the beginning of December.

I am down 10 pounds. I push the steps, exercise, and the calorie count. Good luck and stick to it.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi Mjxcw

I'm 55 and started in December also.  I haven't lost an ounce!  My step goal is 15,000 and I've been hitting it five days a week.  Not tracking my calories though, but I don't go crazy with the food.  My clothes fit better but my weight stays the same ... kind of discouraging.  But I love the walking and wouldn't give it up for anything!

Best Answer
Hi I am Terri 
Whrn I first started fitbit 4 years ago I think, I did the whole logging that was on the site.  Everyday, everyday.  I lost 50 some pounds.  And hitting your steps doesn't nessasary mean your burning fat for weight loss.  If you are then you need to up your food intake burning more means you need to eat more.  Just stay under 500 calories daily than your burn. Really you at least need to log your food intake.
Hope this helps
Terri
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
Best Answer

Hey there, Mjxcw!  Keep up the good work!  Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you lose fat and gain muscle with your increased exercise, your weight may not change but your size will.  If you want a quantitative measure of your change, have someone measure your waist, hips, thighs and upper arms.  Repeat this every 2 weeks or so & you should be pleasantly surprised.  And if you keep up your present exercise, your weight will eventually start going down too.    If you want to start measuring calories, there are a bunch of possibliities.  This site will do it, though I haven't used it.  I"m a fan of My Fitness Pal, and the two sites talk to each other so your MFP calories will show up on Fitbit.  Good luck & keep up the awesome job!

Best Answer
Start changing the food. The advise I got was to eat more earlier in the day and less at dinner.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I find I never quite reach 10,000 by the time I get home from work, and the secret for me is to stay on my feet at home.. doing light housework, puttering around the yard, and I always hit my 10,000. Don't sit down in front of the TV when you get home from work and you'll be surprised how quickly you can reach that number at the end of the day

- Lisa

Best Answer
Awesome motivation ...thank you for sharing. I am much younger, though...NOT! (60). Lol
Best Answer
Hi thank you and I'm 51...
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
Best Answer

Hi!  I'm Debbie & just turned 60 last November.  I just finished my first week using my fitbit One.  I logged all my food & activities each day.  I struggled 2 days as we had a Valentine dinner out and 60th birthday party.  I know I ate and drank more on those days but still maintained my activity.  I have been getting my 10,000 steps in as well as walking on treadmill & Yoga/stretching.  I am very pleased that I lost .8# my first week.  I am so excited!  I really think the key to all of this is to Log, Log, log & do it!  We all have that in us.  Best of luck everyone!  Keep tracking & stepping!  Woman Happy

Best Answer

Hi!  I'm nearly 64 and about 25 pounds overweight.  I bought the Fitbit for myself about a week ago, and love to watch the steps add up...  It definitely motivates me to get out of my chair and walk the dog, or walk around the building at work, even when its cold and nasty out.  Shoveling snow adds steps fast!  I want to get back in shape so I can ride my horses when the weather breaks, without huffing and puffing like I do now. 

Best Answer

I purchased a Fitbit for myself in December 2013 after I decided that I have carried around my 304 pounds on my 5'8" frame for way too long. Because I have a very physical job, I have been putting 8000 to 11,000 steps on my Fitbit, on workdays, daily.  I am 54 and have a 1 year old grand daughter that I want to see grow up so I guess its time I started doing something about it. I have always been a big eater, but have now learned what I can eat and how much. I am in good health compared to my weight so I know I can do it. As of today, I am down 25 pounds but have a long ways to go. I am just trying to take small 10 pound goals at a time. One of my biggest challenges was to give up Diet Coke. I have one can about every 2 weeks but otherwise only drink water. I like to read the posts and to get ideas as to what can help me. Just wish it wasn't so expensive to eat healthy. That's the only thing that has sucked about all of this eating good food. My grocery bill has gone up considerably just to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables. But I will continue on. For the first time in my life I want to do something for me and I am going to do this. Thanks everyone

@helena wrote:
Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.

Best Answer
It is so heartwarming to read of your progress.

We plant a vegetable garden. Start small. You can do it in pots if necessary. I love my tomatoes , peas, beans, and lettuce.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi Maborla - good for you in taking steps to get healthier.  Yes, I know it is expensive to eat healthier. I just keep reminding myself of how much I'm saving on doctor bills and prescriptions by doing so. Helps put things in perspective for me.  

Best Answer

I am 55 years old.  I was never overweight really and "all of a sudden" with menopause, I am at the weight I was the day I gave birth to my 11 pound baby years ago!!!  I was horrified.  I was 30 pounds overweight.  It was so gradual that when I saw what my weight was at the doctor's office, I almost cried.  I got a fitbit and started walking last summer.  It took months before I saw any change in my weight at all.  Now I am faithfully logging my meals and - I think this is critical - I'm having very light dinners (if at all!).  Finally the weight started coming down.  I now have 19.4 lbs to go.  It helps to see that I'm not the only one out there with the same challenge.  Let's keep going!  

Best Answer

Hi, I'm 56.  However, my body has been thru a lot (cancer, multiple tumors, etc., and I'm pretty sure it probably thinks I'm at least 70.  LOL. Seriously though, I love water aerobics.  I find that I can stay active in the pool easily for an hour and do not get bored, whereas when I'm weight training, It kills me to do 45 minutes!  I also like the APP "Sworkit", which allows me to do calesthentics style strength and core training in my own home at my own pace. Even though I am mobility inmpaired, I can hold onto a cane, a walking stick or a chair and get up and down to do the recommended exercises without anyone else watching me and laughing!

"For I know that God works all things together for good for the ones who love God, and for those who are called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28
Best Answer
Hi rubygirl.
Thanks for the reply. Lets keep each other motivated. I received a treadmill for Christmas so I have been doing 10000 steps, now trying for 15000. I love working out with a trainer. I am trying to get in shape for mini triathlon in August. Never done anything like this before.
Best Answer
Kep up the good work. I have hit my
10000 steps the past 3 days, it feels
great to do thst.
Best Answer