Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Hi Helena,

I am also 70 and bought the Fitbit a week and two days ago.  Already my weight is down 2 pounds, although I do not expect to keep up my weight loss at that rate (wish THAT would happen)!  🙂  I had a total hip replacement in April of 2010 (one of those Stryker "bad" hips) and after two years of pain and inactivity my weight was 153 pounds (up from the 132 pre-surgery).  I immediately went down to 140 and seemed to be stuck there, losing only 2 pounds more in the interim.  I was really watching my diet, but did not get as much exercise in, although I was walking about 2-1/2 miles a day about 3-4 times a week in addition to my normal activities.  Now, with the Fitbit, I am SO conscious about EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth.  It keeps me totally accountable, so my caloric intake has gone down.  My walking has stepped up also, as I get between 5,000-7,000 steps a day or a minimum of five miles daily.  It is so hard to keep the weight off in these later years but it totally worth the effort.  My Fitbit is my new Best Friend!

Best Answer
Hi,

I'm 74 this coming August. Got my fitbit for Xmas and have lost 8 lbs and now walk between 11,000 and 13,000 steps per day. Some days it's a challenge to hit 10k. Just received my 500 mile badge. Had no idea that I've walked that far! Have had two knee replacements otherwise very healthy. Walk during commercials when weather is bad and I can't get out. Linked to my fitness pal so I log in my food every day. So far, so good. Keep on moving and the weight will take care of itself.

Lil

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I am 64 and have a new fitbit and treadmill, also trying to lose weight now that i am retired and out of the rat race!!!

Best Answer

Got my Fitbit for a birthday gift a week ago - my 65th! I am a slug and need motivation to get up and move. Needless to say I need to lose more than a few pounds too!  So far, like the step tracking and the sleep monitoring a lot. 

Best Answer
Hello, I am about to be 65 too...yay Medicare and all that!!!
I like the tracking of the sleep, counting the calories and of course the
steps. Hopefully the motivation will keep up so I can lose some weight. I've
been carrying it way too long.
Good luck to you!!
Best Answer

Helena we have women of 70 and even 80 in our grou. Welcome women of 60. It is the most active board I believe. You dont have to be a woman but we have lots of discussion adn encouragement. I invite you and anyone else who is interested 🙂

Best Answer
How does one get to the group? I'd love to join,,,,,am a happy 64 yr old!!!
Still feel 21 most of the time. 🙂
Best Answer

hi!  i am nearly 60,and have had my fitbit since january.  i don't use it all the time, but i try to remember it!  i look forward to chatting with you and/or seeing you in groups.  it's a really helpful tool, and motivator. 

WELCOME!

Best Answer
Thanks for the note!! I'm on my third week with fitbit and really like it
so far...a new toy!!! And amazingly easy to use~!! I'm not much of a techie
but I love this!!
I'm retired so I have NO excuse for not making my goals!!!
Best Answer
I've been using it consistently since the beginning do December. You need to set reasonable goals and commit to responsibly following through. It is work but I feel so much better as I lose the weight. It's been slow going for me but it is going down. The numbers keep me focused.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

CarolBadger it is the most ridiculous thing that the 'real' discussion boards are not shown when you click community. I am not much of a techie so I will go and ask one of the 'girls' in the community what the link is and you can click that way.  I am going to see if I can friend you adn maybe that is a way to direct you also:)

Best Answer

CarolBadger it is the most ridiculous thing that the 'real' discussion boards are not shown when you click community. I am not much of a techie so I will go and ask one of the 'girls' in the community what the link is and you can click that way.  I am going to see if I can friend you adn maybe that is a way to direct you also:)

Tried to friend you but does not seem to allow. You can try and friend me but in the meanwhile I will get the link and let you know tomorrow.

Best Answer

what an inspiration you are - my fitbit is what keeps me going as well - sad but true - until I feel the vibration I feel like a failure - I am 63 and received it for christmas and it was a real effort to even make 10,000 steps, now my goal is 15,000 steps per day and must admit it is easy to say ok a day off but the only person I am letting down is myself - to be it is all personal and I want to be a healthier person - good luck and get friends because it is a true inspiration to have their support

Best Answer
Here is a link that may or may not work I am told. Well there you have it
its not there! The girls told me that you have to go to the "Activity
Groups " discussion boards and look for 'Women over 60-'I will try and get
that link again but Shelly who gave it to me says it sometimes works and
sometimes not:(

My goal is 12000 steps a day.. I have had my fitbit since Feb 2013 and now
am at goal weight nice August. I don't want to do more than 10000-120000 a
day as I feel that all sorts of over stresses can happen as I see in our
group. Not to mention that 12000 steps IS 5miles and thats plenty!-
www.MarilynLJewelry.com
Best Answer

https://www.fitbit.com/group/223D7W this is the link that should get you to the  "Women over 60" group. If it does not please ask the co ordinatior of this discussion group how to get there. I believe her name is Emily.

I am not sure if my last post got to you so wanted you to know that you can also search for the group at Actvit y Discussion Groups and then search  "Women over 60" .Note that there are lots of discussions of the over 60 groups  believe it or not, but this one will stand out to you as there are over 2000 posts here and +300 members. The other groups are smaller and we pop in there too but this is the one where all the 'action' is LOL!

Best Answer
Wow---you do a LOT of steps!! Right now I'm doing 6000 but plan to up that
steadily. My sister in law is 66 and she does 10000....off to the
treadmill!!!
Best Answer
Thanks...will look.
Best Answer
The weather has turned gorgeous. Get outside for your walk. It's uplifting.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hi All, I am almost 61 and have had my Fitbit for about 4 weeks and just love it. I try to do 10,000 steps each day (although some days it just doesn't seem possible). I have hit 15,000 a couple of times, but that can only happen when I am not at work and make a big effort on a weekend. It really is motivating and hopefully will help me hit my weight goal going forward. These days I find myself getting up from my desk at work as often as I can in order to register a few more steps. I have only just find the forums and it is great to see so many like minded people who are so supportive. Terri
Best Answer

U see what mircles Chanuka gelt can do :)!

All of you need to go and look at the activity community boards and come and join "Women over 60" group. We are the best and will keep you motivated as well as giving you great company 🙂 Looking forward to seeing you there!

Best Answer