Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wont budge

ANSWERED

Hi Fitbitters,

I am at an impasse on my journey. I have lost 102lb since the 1st of Jan this year and I seem to have hit the dreaded plateau. I have been the same weight for the last month (aside from a fluctuation of 5lb or so)

The methods I have tried over the last month to overcome the plateau.

Increased calorie intake to 1500-2k with nuts and berries.

Increased activity intensity along with the calorie intake

Have then dropped the calorie intake back to 1k-1200

While keeping with the increased activity

I have tried to fast a couple of days a week

I have also tried nothing but a plant based diet getting protein from nuts and beans.

I have cut red meat out and increased dark green leafy veg to replace it.

I have recently started juicing with raw veg and fruit but will give that another week or so to see the results.

I have another 52lb to lose before my journey's end and really want the weight to start dropping again.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

AVE stats

20k steps

4500cals burnt

1200cals input

100 active minutes per day

2L of water a day

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you tried all those methods within the last month since you hit your plateau, there's no way to know if any of them worked because you didn't give each of them long enough to see the results. Honestly, I think you are simply under estimating how much you're actually eating. Even with a plant based diet or with juicing, especially juicing, you can easily consume more calories than you think.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

If you tried all those methods within the last month since you hit your plateau, there's no way to know if any of them worked because you didn't give each of them long enough to see the results. Honestly, I think you are simply under estimating how much you're actually eating. Even with a plant based diet or with juicing, especially juicing, you can easily consume more calories than you think.

Best Answer

what is your BMR? I am guessing that your body needs more than 1200 calories to survive, especially if you are exercising. I have had a similar struggle with a plateau but I have started to gradually eat more calories, especially in protein and healthy fats to get that weight to budge. I have inconclusive results thus far because it has only been about a week and a half. I would say that you should try to eat more, especially if you want to keep your muscle mass, but give it at least 2-3 weeks before deciding if it is working.

another thing you could try to boost your spirits is to take your measurements. Though my weight hasn't changed but maybe 2-3 pounds, I have lost inches all over. This is how you know you are still getting results. 

Also, don't beat yourself up about the weight you have left. You have come a long way! It takes a long time to gain weight, so it takes a long time to lose it. 

Best Answer

You were going to hit this wall eventually. I've hit it before too, a long time ago when I first lost the weight. (gained it back, but, that's a different story. )

You've lost weight very, very fast. Something like 4 lbs a week on average. But, that wasn't long term sustainable because eventually your body just rebels. 

Honestly? I would eat at a 1000 calorie deficit or so for a few weeks and give yourself time to catch up with your weight loss. On days you burn 4550, that would be 3550 calories. I know it sounds like a lot and I know it would feel a lot better to be done quicker. However, quick can have some repercussions. You don't want to be chasing this down to the point where you are eating 800 calories a day trying to see some weight loss. That's where I was at the end, bouncing between 600-800 calories to see any loss. 

I made myself pretty sick last time I tried to do this weight loss thing fast. I've only lost 16 lbs in 81 days, but, it's also been very easy to do. For a 1000 calorie deficit, I'm eating around 2300 calories. I get 10 servings of fruits and vegetables every other day, I fit in pizza and the occasional donut or other treat. 

Initially when you increase your calories a bit, your body will probably put 5 lbs back on. It will probably be a couple months before you are even losing again. But, since you are just trying for another 50 lbs, is it too big of a deal if that last 50 takes another 8 months or so? 

Additionally, if you do plan on continuing at your current rate of loss, you really want to make sure that you are seeing a doctor who is aware of what you are doing and can order appropriate lab work. You are eating like a gastric bypass patient and really should be taking the same precautions. 

I'm not trying to discourage you, you've done something really amazing. I've just been in this particular rabbit hole and it takes a bit of care to proceed. 

Best Answer

So at the risk of getting yelled at- I don't subscribe to plateaus. There are other factors at play that have caused you to stop losing weight. It could be that your body just needs to adjust to where it is for a bit and then you will move forward again. It could be that you were losing so well that you got a little careless in your counts and you actually ate to maintenance. Now you are trying all different techniques and they are all creating an imbalance of some sort. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, try stopping and reassessing. You need to stop worrying about it and focus on doing the things you know work. Sit down and recalculate a reasonable deficit based on your TDEE and your current weight.

Figure out a healthy mix of food that will play nicely with those calories.

Make sure you are "productive" and not carrying around dinner from three days ago.

And figure out the exercise that will put you into a good sweat- there is no sense drinking all that water if you are going to retain it. Sweat it out.

Don't weigh yourself for a solid week or longer if you can stand it once you have done a reset. I am pretty sure when you get back on, you will be pleasantly surprised. Sometimes we get so caught up in what we are doing, we lose sight of what we are doing. Whatever you decide- best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

**UPDATE**

So, I did a reboot on my body and am now an a strict vegan diet (please no comments on this as it is a moral choice) 

Since the reboot and this post, I have managed to drop another 8lb and am now just shy of 44lb until I reach my next goal.

Thank you all for your advice and opinions. They have been inspirational.

Thaks

Best Answer

Congrats. Glad it's working out for you

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mickruss wrote:

**UPDATE**

So, I did a reboot on my body and am now an a strict vegan diet (please no comments on this as it is a moral choice) 

Since the reboot and this post, I have managed to drop another 8lb and am now just shy of 44lb until I reach my next goal.

Thaks

You probably need to start keeping an eye on your Body Fat % as you are probably eating away at the good weight to get to the total weight you want to be at.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Quote:

@Mickruss wrote:

**UPDATE**

Thaks

I know you said "please no comments," but mine are positive so I hope you don't mind. A vegan diet is how I lost 120 pounds and how my husband lost 60 pounds.  I too became a vegetarian for ethical reasons.  If you haven't yet you might want to read any of John McDougall M.D.'s books, such as The Starch Solution and be sure you are getting enough starch (beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes, white potatoes) to be sure you are eating enough calories. I love this way of eating.  The food is delicious and satisfying and the weight loss, once I made up my mind to follow the plan completely, was just not that difficult.  Nothing to count, measure or weigh.  Eat real food any time one is hungry.  Stop when one is full.  I started eating this way in 2002.  My husband started in 2012.  We are both in excellent health, after having had some serious health issues prior to eating this way.  I have had many people tell me that they can't eat this way because they are diabetic and can't eat "carbs," yet I am the only member of my family of origin who eats this way and the only one who is not diabetic.  Best wishes to you!

Best Answer

Metabolic rate drops when the weight is lost, so you may have to eat even less to continue the same rate of weight loss (or so I read.)  Also, if you are losing lean weight, metabolic rate will drop.  To boost calorie burn, increase muscle mass by strength training.  I haven't read all of the posts, so maybe this was already discussed.

Best Answer
0 Votes