Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labor Day to Halloween Challenge 2017

Hello everyone and welcome to the Labor Day to Halloween Day challenge.

We can post (daily/weekly) about our weight and non-scale successes, share helpful tips, support each other and talk about our ups and downs.  The following abbreviations can be helpful to use:

USW - Ultimate start weight

SW - starting weight for the challenge

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight

GW - goal weight for the challenge

UGW- ultimate goal weight

To join, please simply post and you are in! Have a great time, let's get this going!

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

Hi guys,

Starting today, I'm back! Time to lose some extra baggage. Good luck everyone.

USW - 201

SW - 162.9

CW - 162.9

GW - 157

UGW- 150

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just joined this website on 2017-09-17 so I'm about 2 weeks late from the labour day start. I'm trying to be realistic with a weight loss of 7lbs/week but we'll see.

USW - 310

SW - 299

CW - 294

GW - 259

UGW - 190

Best Answer

@exhile  I'm wondering if you made a typo by saying your reasonable goal is 7lbs/week? The safe goal is 1-2 lbs per week. It's possible to lose more but it's mostly only at the beginning and mostly just water. Please, be safe about this. There is no big rush. Your health is too important. 

Having said that....welcome to the group and the challenge! I hope you find motivation and great information here.

Best Answer

Walked with Mom this morning. I decided that I have to get away from the distractions at my house in order to get some writing done...dogs, tv, games on my tablet, etc. I need to get my creativity flowing again and be productive. I have unfinished pieces that I need to complete to feel accomplished. If I can get into the rhythm at the library today then I'll be able to go home and turn off all that blah blah in the background. That's my plan, anyway.

Yesterday I came across a post about the dreaded plateau that plagues so many of us, and from which I'm suffering right now. One of the users suggested a video to watch and I did. Phew, what a great suggestion. It helped me realize it's just my body resetting my metabolism and to stay the course and it will kick in again. It's a little more complex than that but that's the gist of it. I have to stop struggling against it and just let it happen. So, I'm not going to freak out or feel like a failure or give up. My body knows what to do.

OK, wasting time isn't good...gotta switch over to my story. 

Best Answer

Nora was feeling good this morning and so was I so we hit The Rail Trail for a walk. My foot is about 1/2 healed so I am only allowed to walk, no running so we walk fast. I thought it was a moderate speed and we stopped to talk to people who walk at the same time so we all know each other by our dogs. When I got home to my surprise the stats were :123 bpm,26 min peak and it was between 166 and 173 when in peak ,  73 cardio, and 15 fat burn with a burn of 6 cal a min. Also had 3 floors ( stairs in area we cross getting over to the trail. Haven't weighed this week but am hopeful it's going in the right direction. So far today I have 11,268 steps in and my foot is killing me.

Best Answer

@_Lilac_ wrote:

@exhile  I'm wondering if you made a typo by saying your reasonable goal is 7lbs/week? The safe goal is 1-2 lbs per week. It's possible to lose more but it's mostly only at the beginning and mostly just water. Please, be safe about this. There is no big rush. Your health is too important. 

Having said that....welcome to the group and the challenge! I hope you find motivation and great information here.

The 7lbs/week number was an estimate. There is a theoretical number and a practical number so if I can or cannot pull it off remains to be seen. Thanks for your concern. I just want to be up for the challenge and aim for my goal weight. I've been able to lose 5lbs/week before but that was only 1 week and couldn't do a consecutive week after that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My error. I meant 1to 2 pounds per week.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@_Lilac_ wrote:
The safe goal is 1-2 lbs per week.

I've been searching the forums and found the settings of a website called www.trendweight.com only allows as you stated a maximum lose of 2lbs per week. If this methodology is true, I may only lose 10lbs by the time Halloween arrives but I have a feeling that I could lose much more than that. Realistically though, I'll have to see as the 5 weeks remaining pass. Thanks for the info.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@exhile Hi! I just wanted to jump in on this. 🙂 If you have a lot of weight to lose and if you make big changes in exercise and calorie intake, then people often have a big weight loss the first week, maybe two weeks, of following a new plan. You may lose 5-7 lbs in the first week or two. However, a typical weekly weight loss of 1-2 lbs over several month is MUCH healthier and more likely to stay gone. If you have a goal of losing 7 lbs per week and then "only" lose 2-3 lbs, you may be disappointed, intead of excited about losing those 2-3 lbs. If you set your goal of 2 lbs per week and happen to lose more, then "WOOHOO!", you get to celebrate. It really helps the mindset to have sustainable goals and will help keep you from giving up if you don't meet your goal one week. Hope this makes sense. 🙂 Welcome to the group!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_I would think with all the work going on with the house and trying to keep your sanity while living through that dust and noise your body is taking a rest  as it should. The remodel looks great by the way. I would love to still have my mother to walk with , lucky you being so blessed. I read your post and it's like I can see you walking the dog with your Mom. You have made great progress and I wish you all the best when this little time out is over.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Morning all,  i agree 1-2 is a safe # to loose and maintain off.   I've done the other route of fast off and then it comes back fast and higher, plus not good for you.   this is the first time i decided not to rush the weight loss.  

had lost 42lb.  have 10-15 to go. kinda been a slug this year in getting the last 10 off, but thank GOD it has not com back -so maintaining is a first for me and I like it... 

Today is my first day to try and get serious to get another 6-12 off by year end.   Got up and walked my dog 2 miles before work (a black cat chased US?)  my dog wasn't too sure what to make of that, but with Halloween approaching -- who knows. 

heading out for another camping weekend and lots of hiking.   My house need a lot of attention, but figured when it gets nasty out - can turn my attentions there, right now enjoying the outdoors.

hope all have a great weekend and happy first day of autumnNV07CataractFallPD.jpg

Best Answer

@exhile: what you can realistically lose in average per week (over a longer period of time) depends on who you are and what your starting point is. If you are a 300 lb / 6 ft male, moderately active, 40-yo, your daily energy expenditure may be around 3600 calories. If your are a 200 lb / 5 ft female, same activity, same age, it will only be about 2300 calories. With a 1500 calories daily deficit (which would translate into a 3 lb weekly loss), our sample male would still be left with 2100 calories to eat. With the same deficit, the female would only have 800 calories, most likely way too little.

At any rate, a seven pound weekly loss is not sustainable for anyone, even extremely large, young and super-active males. If you experience such a loss on any given week, it’s probably mostly water weight, and you can’t expect to experience the same loss for several weeks in a row.

TrendWeight doesn’t restrict your actual weight loss. For instance, you can check the rate at which @Daves_Not_Here has been losing for the past couple of month (his personal TrendWeight link can be found in his signature), and it’s been more than 2 lbs / week.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Nora58 Yes, my body is telling me I need to rest. My back is killing me, my foot is horrible, and I've got an imbalance in my internal workings...plus a plateau....It's time for a break. I did go walking this morning but could only do 3200 steps because my foot was bad. I'm home now and I'm on ice. I have healthy food in the house and about to fill up my 1L water bottle. 

My daughter left her college program yesterday so I'll insist she take the dogs for their walks so I'm not injured further. 

I hope everyone is healthy and happy and getting in their movement and water! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@exhile: what you can realistically lose in average per week (over a longer period of time) depends on who you are and what your starting point is. If you are a 300 lb / 6 ft male, moderately active, 40-yo, your daily energy expenditure may be around 3600 calories. If your are a 200 lb / 5 ft female, same activity, same age, it will only be about 2300 calories. With a 1500 calories daily deficit (which would translate into a 3 lb weekly loss), our sample male would still be left with 2100 calories to eat. With the same deficit, the female would only have 800 calories, most likely way too little.

At any rate, a seven pound weekly loss is not sustainable for anyone, even extremely large, young and super-active males. If you experience such a loss on any given week, it’s probably mostly water weight, and you can’t expect to experience the same loss for several weeks in a row.

TrendWeight doesn’t restrict your actual weight loss. For instance, you can check the rate at which @Daves_Not_Here has been losing for the past couple of month (his personal TrendWeight link can be found in his signature), and it’s been more than 2 lbs / week.

It's understandable as body fat goes, it's harder to burn fat off as one gets leaner. Maybe the first 2-3 weeks I could sustain a 5-7lbs/week weight lose but from what I've learned from people on this forum is that a decline of weights/week is what usually happens. I am reducing my calorie intake for the past week which is probably one reason I am losing weight so fast.

As you said, I shouldn't expect to experience the same weight loss for several weeks in a row. Here's how my weight loss is so far.

weight.JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GettingfitinSC wrote:

@exhile Hi! I just wanted to jump in on this. 🙂 If you have a lot of weight to lose and if you make big changes in exercise and calorie intake, then people often have a big weight loss the first week, maybe two weeks, of following a new plan. You may lose 5-7 lbs in the first week or two. However, a typical weekly weight loss of 1-2 lbs over several month is MUCH healthier and more likely to stay gone. If you have a goal of losing 7 lbs per week and then "only" lose 2-3 lbs, you may be disappointed, intead of excited about losing those 2-3 lbs. If you set your goal of 2 lbs per week and happen to lose more, then "WOOHOO!", you get to celebrate. It really helps the mindset to have sustainable goals and will help keep you from giving up if you don't meet your goal one week. Hope this makes sense. 🙂 Welcome to the group!

I totally agree that I'll most likely lose 5-7lbs in my first few weeks. The 7lbs/week was just a calculation of what I had lost in the past. I will settle with whatever numbers result in the upcoming weeks. As long as I am losing weight I won't be disappointed or gratified with the end results. Everything you've said has made sense and I appreciate the welcome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In this challenge, I’m reporting body fat %, not weight, and I’m using TrendWeight numbers:

USBF 2013 and before: no idea (didn’t have any device to estimate it), but probably around 25% or more.

SBF 4-Sep-17: 14.6%

PBF 11-Sep-17: 14.5%

PBF 18-Sep-17: 14.3%

CBF 25-Sep-17: 14.2%

GBF: 13.5%

UGBF: 11%

Veeery slowly moving in the right direction:

2017-09-25_0934.png

First phase (two weeks) of new diet over, now switching from "base" to "cut 1", for another two weeks (or as long as the weight continues to drop).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

My goals thus far!  Smiley Happy

USW - 195

SW - 195

CW - 192

PW - 195

GW - 180

UGW- 160

Best Answer

I don't know why, but I've actually been losing weight! I think I've done the "shake your body up/confuse it" thing, because I've been walking less the last 2 weeks (still doing my weights the same amount, tho).  I think I've been eating less, just haven't been that hungry and not craving things. Here's my month so far:

Labor Day - 195.2

w/e 9/9 - 194.6

w/e 9/16 - 193.7

w/e 9/23 - 193

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

This week's weigh in and posting.  While I stayed the same, I'm happy with that.  We had a death in the family this month and our lives have been turned upside down.  Doing the best I can and taking it a day at a time.

USW - Ultimate start weight - 203

SW - starting weight for the challenge - 201

CW - current weight  - 200 (stayed the same)

PW - previous week's weight - 200

GW - goal weight for the challenge - 195

UGW- ultimate goal weight - 160

Best Answer