Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Weight Loss Tips

ANSWERED

I am 21 years old 250lbs with a BMI of 38.9. My doctor recently diagnosed me as prediabetic and told me that if I don't get my habits right I will get diabeties. I am exercising regularly (5 days a week) and I am losing weight, but my eating habits are terrible. I don't have much money and cannot go on programs such as weight watchers herbalife etc. because of bills and expenses but quick and easy healthy meals that I could prepare that are inexpensive. Also, I'm trying to see if someone could give me a list of hardcore exercises to do because I'm starting to believe the exercises that I do are too easy because I am never sore the day after. Please help!!

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

@Dominique wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Limit fruit intake. Replace all snacks with Quest Protein Bars.  They're expensive, but cheaper than doctor visits.   

I had a look at the nutritional content of a Quest Protein Bar:

quest.png

So you get 20 grams of protein for 190 calories, and it costs you $2.39.

I just bought 2.5 kg bags of whey isolate protein powder (= the same stuff Quest puts in their protein bars) for 37 euros. 100 grams of that particular protein powder (it’s not the cheapest one) contains 92 g of protein and 384 calories. So if I consumed 20 grams of that protein powder, that would be 83 calories, for a cost of 0.30 euros. I’d rather snack on a banana (about 100 calories) or an apple (why limit fruit, at the end of the day, it’s total calories that matter), and eat my protein in the form of a shake when at home. Far less expensive, more natural, better deal overall.

Here is an older thread that was dedicated to Quest bars, btw.

It's the amount of sugar  a person intake that matters. One banana contains 14g of sugar.    There's no point in watching calories when you're eating excess sugar. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

It's the amount of sugar  a person intake that matters. One banana contains 14g of sugar.   There's no point in watching calories when you're eating excess sugar. 

Sugar is not poisonous et doesn’t make you fat. Eating more calories than what you burn is what makes you fat. If your fruits (and the sugar they contain) are within your calorie allotment, I don’t see where the problem is.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Cool! You lost 10 lbs! Keep it up, friend!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations, @Ace302_. Keep it up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Dominique! If possible, stay away from processed food, and try to eat fresh veggies insead. Look at the sodium content of that protein bar: it's very high, and not good for us. One doctor said, "the more green you eat, the more weight you lose." Greens have protein, too. And, yes, you can always spice your salad with some meat, as long as you keep it to a minimum (1 3rd of your serving plate). 

Best wishes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love the Quest bars. They satisfy my wicked sweet tooth. I buy mine lose from Wegmans. They are around $1.50 per bar. It's cheaper then a case ($25.00) and you get variety to see what you like.

Best Answer
0 Votes

sounds like a plan

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a grandson your age .and i am overweight myself and am now working with a nurtristionist.

the first thing she told me was to stop using SALT. so now i use mrs .dash on everything. and it taste good. you can buy fish frozen from wal-mart for $12 a bag and its good for you and easy to cook.eat alot of fresh salad and fruit , you will see the results in no time ,and walk . its the best exercise for someone to start when they are out of shape. also if you are exercising right you don't have to hurt the next day after . that happens when you over pull a muscle. try warming up first. good luck . i know you can do it . 

Best Answer
0 Votes