Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for people to exchange about losing weight?

Hi!

I have that goal to lose something like 30 kg (66 lbs) and since my first diet day, I lost 3.9 kg (8,5 lbs). I really want to stay motivated and I think it would be easier if I could exchange with people in the same boat! 

I don't plan to compete with anyone because I'm a really sore loser 😂 but just friends to congratulate when they lost and support when it's bad. 

Anyone up for it?

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

You have a good start, keep it up!  

Since getting my Fitbit on May 29 I have lost 31 lbs, mainly through changing diet and through keeping my activity level up.  I have a long way to go, but I feel that I will make it.

I think this is a really good idea, Jen.  I have been frustrated with my weight loss.  Being a male I bought into the fallacy that losing would be easier.  Seems like every pound is a fight.  

Best Answer

Thanks and congratulations for your weight loss, it's impressive!

Do you diet every day? What kind of work out are you doing?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you guys should send each other a friend request and exchange tips tricks and high fives- good work both of you and much success in reaching your goals!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

More of a lifestyle change than a diet.  I eat around 1500 calories a day, mainly home cooked meals.  I guess I'm lucky my wife is a good cook. 🙂

Protein shake in the morning for breakfast.

A snack would be some cashews,a small apple (they are getting harder and harder to find), grapes, or cherries.

Lunch is chicken or pork with some vegetables.

Dinner is similar, except we're starting to have more fish.  

Most of the food is not from a can.  My wife makes extra and I make lunches from the leftovers.

I've been walking 3 miles a day total, trying everyday to improve on that.  Started adding workouts at the gym.

Best Answer

@NotMyCat wrote:

You have a good start, keep it up!  

Since getting my Fitbit on May 29 I have lost 31 lbs, mainly through changing diet and through keeping my activity level up.  I have a long way to go, but I feel that I will make it.

I think this is a really good idea, Jen.  I have been frustrated with my weight loss.  Being a male I bought into the fallacy that losing would be easier.  Seems like every pound is a fight.  

@NotMyCat  At 31 pounds off in a little more than 2 months, it seems you are winning the fight!  Reading about your deliberate lifestyle, it's inspiring and no wonder the weight is coming off.  It seems to me it's easier to lose a lot of weight than a little.  To lose a lot, you have to change your lifestyle, at which point weight loss is a natural by-product.  But when people (at least myself) try to lose a little, we tend to just make minor adjustments to a lifestyle that led to our obesity in the first place.

@JenHarness Thanks for posting this, and congrats on your first 8.5 lbs.  How are things going now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My week was crazy, sorry I didn't answer! I lost 12,12 lbs total for now but my scale is weirdo so I'm waiting for a new one. I increased (a lot!) my exercise plan and I'm less and less hungry and more and more motivated so, I think I'm on the good path. 

And  you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having an easy time so far -- in 6 weeks, I'm down about 20 lbs, but I started high at 240.  We'll see if I can keep it up without plateauing.

I've been doing the weekend warrior thing for activity.  During the week, I focus on controlling my appetite.  I try to get some stair flights and a walk at lunch, but nothing too strenuous.  I'm finding getting 8 hours sleep really helps.

Best Answer

8 hours of sleep sound like paradise! I'm getting five and half or six on the really good days. 

The warrior thing is that like those TV show Ninja Warrior? When it comes to sport, oh man, I'm so bad 😂 Your weight loss is really great! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JenHarness wrote:

8 hours of sleep sound like paradise! I'm getting five and half or six on the really good days. 

The warrior thing is that like those TV show Ninja Warrior? When it comes to sport, oh man, I'm so bad 😂 Your weight loss is really great! 

@JenHarness There seems to be more and more evidence that getting more sleep really helps with weight loss, for several physiological reasons.  Plus, stress reduction.  While it feels luxurious, I justify it as essential self-care. Definitely worth googling.

By weekend warrior, I just mean I ramp up my activity on Saturday and Sunday, with skiing, hiking and cycling.  Most weekdays, I burn 2,500 calories and eat 1,500.  Both days this weekend, I burned 5,000 and ate (and drank) 3,000 so I feel like I get to indulge and lose weight at the same time.  I'm fortunate that I've found strenuous activities that are fun -- I hate going to the gym.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh I believe you, it's just that I can't sleep more. Between my husband who works early in the morning, my 3 year-old son who needs a teally tight schedule to sleep and wakes up once or twice a night and my own fragile sleep, sometimes once I'm awake, I just can't go back to sleep. Well there it is, 6h max. 

Thoses activities sounds like fun (well except for skiing, because it's so cold!). It's a great plan that you have 👍🏻

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I would love to be part of this discussion!

Here is a little background about my journey. I got my FitBit in February with the aim to loose 4 stone.. I lost about 5lbs and then due to mental health issues I started eating badly, not exercising etc and ended up putting on 9lbs from my original starting weight. Smiley Frustrated

So July 15th I was the highest weight I have ever been, I was so upset and genuinely hated looking at myself in the mirror so I knew that it was time for change. Just by changing my diet I lost 6lbs in 2 weeks. I was so amazed at how much the scale went down that it motivated me to go for my goals. Thing is, I then went on holiday for 2 weeks. I didn't want to deprive myself of all the icecream and lovely wine/cheese you can get in France, so I started doing an 50 min - 80 min swim every morning before breakfast.. The shorts I got for the holiday were falling off me within a week!

I was disheartened by the lack of weight I lost, confused even because you could see the difference between me when I started the holiday and by the end - my only thought is that I assume it was muscle growth?

Regardless I am now home and watching what I eat, tracking everything to the gram with the FitBit app and working out everyday. I have lost a total of 12lbs now since I was my highest and I am SO HAPPY!

Sorry for such a long post, I have been excited about my journey for so long but hadn't had anyone to really talk to about it!

Best Answer

Congratulations for your weight loss! As a french girl, I can say you were right to eat cheese. It's the best stuff invented ever. With bread. 

I'm kinda the same, I lost a lot of centimeters especially waist-size but sometimes my scale is just not moving. Do you think it could be your water retention? My pharmacist (don't know if it's the right word) gave me something to put in my water to help with that and I feel a tiny bit less bloated since I'm taking it. 

But really, great job, I'm happy for you! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

OMG YES THE BREAD Heart Heart Heart

Thanks for the support! Already love this thread! 

As for water retention I never even thought of that. I need to go to the doctors about my mental health so I'll mention it, since self perception goes hand in hand with how you feel. 

Best Answer

The bread is the only stuff I couldn't give up for my diet. I cut pasta and rice and potatoes, all the others carbs but bread... Fun fact (sorry I'm doing my Sheldon Cooper): there is more boulangeries (bread-makers) in France than Starbucks in the whole world and, as much boulangeries (all types included) as McDonald's in the world.

So instead, I eat bread at every meal and a lot of vegetables, fish and meat, like a respectable french-person would do, haha.

It's a really good idea to talk about that with your doctor, please if you do, I would love to hear what he said.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't blame you, fresh bread and croissants are the best thing ever! When I lose enough and I want to maintain rather than lose I think I am going to try and make bread.. the smell is so good. Now I am hungry haha.

I shall be going next week when I return to uni so I shall let you know what they say.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried to make bread once and it was absolutely disgusting so I'll just continue to buy it.

Thanks a lot!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JenHarness wrote:

I tried to make bread once and it was absolutely disgusting so I'll just continue to buy it.

Thanks a lot!

The few times I made bread, you could hammer nails with it.

Best Answer

So you nailed the bread-making?

(I'm a sucker for play on words!)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hahaha LOVE IT

Best Answer
0 Votes