Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for suggestions on losing weight while on vacation away from home

ANSWERED

I was not planning an interruption in my weight loss journey yet, and I am wondering if any of you have successfully lost weight while away from your routine and on vacation? What are your tips?

I am taking a two week vacation, first week I will be camping, second week I will be staying in a hotel with a small fridge, but no stove. 

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What is your normal food routine now?  If you can stay at say, 80%, of your core program, that should give you room to try different things without getting too far afield.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

What is your normal food routine now?  If you can stay at say, 80%, of your core program, that should give you room to try different things without getting too far afield.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott that actually really makes sense...thanks! I think if I stick to eating from the outside aisles grocery store, instead of "restaurants" and "fast foods" I can probably be ok 80% of the time. Eating out minimally is probably what I need to do. Go to the grocery store every couple of days, should work with having a cooler, and a mini fridge...pre-cooked meats with salads for the majority of my meals...which is mostly my diet now. I don't eat bread, rice or noodles, but tons of fruits and veggies.

Thanks for helping me think through this... 🙂

Not having a plan is dangerous...lol 🙂 not planning is planning to fail...or something to that effect...

Best Answer

@lavabelle wrote:

I was not planning an interruption in my weight loss journey yet, and I am wondering if any of you have successfully lost weight while away from your routine and on vacation? What are your tips?

I am taking a two week vacation, first week I will be camping, second week I will be staying in a hotel with a small fridge, but no stove. 

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions Smiley Happy

To me, vacation is just to have fun, relax and be free of normal routines.  I don't stick to too strict of a diet, or otherwise I feel like I'm a prisoner of my own self.  Besides if I camp with others, then it's a potluck anyhow.  I eat what they eat, unless you are camping alone.  Having said that, it takes an additional of 3500 calories on top of what you eat now to gain 1lb in weight, so since you're on greens and meats and no bread, your likelihood of consuming an excess of 3500 calories per week is pretty low, unless you have some of those camping instant meal packs which packed a huge amount of calories, like 3500 calories per serving.  These are fine if you do tough hikes, climbs and cycling all day and you need that amount of calories to replenish, but not good if you are on a weight loss plan.

Best Answer

To me, vacation is just to have fun, relax and be free of normal routines.  I don't stick to too strict of a diet, or otherwise I feel like I'm a prisoner of my own self.  Besides if I camp with others, then it's a potluck anyhow.  I eat what they eat, unless you are camping alone.  Having said that, it takes an additional of 3500 calories on top of what you eat now to gain 1lb in weight, so since you're on greens and meats and no bread, your likelihood of consuming an excess of 3500 calories per week is pretty low, unless you have some of those camping instant meal packs which packed a huge amount of calories, like 3500 calories per serving.  These are fine if you do tough hikes, climbs and cycling all day and you need that amount of calories to

replenish, but not good if you are on a weight loss plan.

@bikerhiker thanks for the reminder to have fun...:) vacations should be fun, I will probably loosen up a bit once my tent is set up and I'm organized. I do plan on doing lots of hikes and runs and walks, and of course swimming...so there should be enough exercise to allow me a bit of freedom with my food. I will not be weighing myself for 10 days, so I guess I will become better at listening to my body hopefully 🙂

Best Answer

@lavabelle

Have a great vacation and please let us know how it goes!! Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Part of vacations to me is the experience of food.  So I wouldn't worry too terribly much about food.  For me personally, I don't really drink alcohol, and much prefer using my calories for food instead of beverages.  Staying active while on vacation is also a way to stay mostly on track - walking around, seeing the sights, make use of the hotel or resort gym a few times.

I wouldn't worry too much.  Try to stick to your routine, but also enjoy yourself.  It is vacation, after all.  🙂

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Hi!

When you go on vacation your probably going to want to have a little fun.  That is to say maybe let your guard down a little when it comes to eating.  That's very normal.  However, I would suggest you can still have fun, but try to make the right choices.  Try to maintain your discipline!  You probably know to stay away from eating fried foods.  That will get you into trouble.  Grilled seafood, or broiled, or baked is a good selection.  Grilled chicken is another good choice.  There are healthy things on most all restaurant menus.  It's kind of up to you.  The thing of it is, you don't want spoil the success you've had so far with managing your weight.  I hope this has been somewhat helpful.  Good luck!   

Best Answer

I don't have to worry about drinking calories, other than the occasional latte...I have a pretty solid rule of not drinking calories...and that includes alcohol 😎... I tried a really yummy lemonade made by San Pellegrino though that's making me rethink this 😍

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it.

Best Answer

@EatingRight totally agree about not wanting to ruin my success...actually I might have to push myself to loosen up...I have no desire to just let it all go. I really like the changes in my life and how I feel, all the energy, good deep sleeps...I see nothing "fun" in overindulging I guess...I really don't want to lose the fitness gains I've made, so eating the right kinds of food are really important to be able to stay active...I will definitely listen to my body. 

Thanks so much for your input.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Baltoscott wrote:

Scott is right! 

I don't really have any input on camping, but I travel frequently for work, and since I've started watching what I eat and exercising, I have made 3 travel lifestyle changes:

1) I do not drink when I travel, tempting as it may be. Smiley Sad

2) I try to make the healthiest meal choices possible when out to dinner on trips and whenever possible I try to pack my own breakfast/lunch/snacks so I'm only eating out once per day.

2) I ALWAYS pack workout clothes and shoes and hit the hotel fitness center at least a few times during my trip. Doesn't take but an hour of my time, and keeps me in a routine.

That being said, having realistic expectations about travel and your fitness goals is important. It's not uncommon for me to gain 2 lb or so when I'm away from home even for a few days - anything from travel-related stress to increased sodium in restaurant prepared foods can cause it. The good news is, once I'm home and back in my regular routine, it goes away in a few days.

Best Answer

@oh_suzanney Thanks for the input!

My food program is pretty easy now, It's a fairly easy way to eat. My carbs come from fruits and veggies mostly, and my fat and protein from nuts, seeds, meat and fish and some dairy. I don't think this will be a difficult way to eat while away. I like the idea of packing my own snacks and two meals, and only eating out for one meal...that really resonates with me 🙂 Thanks!

I will definitely be packing workout clothes!! I am vacationing in a very beautiful area, and I plan on mostly enjoying the great outdoors! I might even try kayaking or stand up paddle board for the first time 🙂

Thanks again!

Best Answer

I haven't tried SUP yet, but I LOVE kayaking!!

Best Answer

@oh_suzanney I have been itching to try them both! I can't wait 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Leaving for 10 days today, just packing up the car. I will update when I get back, hopefully I have lost weight, and not gained any at the very least. Thanks for all of your wonderful support and suggestions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope you have a great time!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Post Vacation Update

Thanks so much for all of your amazing suggestions. Here is what I did.

1. Ate my regular diet 80% of the time, but did not track calories. Ate only until I felt satisfied then stopped. 
  2. Ate out for only 3 meals
    1. one was sushi...left feeling way too stuffed!!! and could not finish what I had ordered!
    2. Thai food, had a delicious cashew chicken stir fry without noodles or rice and was perfectly satisfied with the amount of food I ate, could of had more, but didn't...really enjoyed this meal.
    3. Fast food burger place, I had a chicken burger only, no fries and no pop. Completely satisfied!
  3. I walked average 23k steps a day
  4. Did a 3 day backpacking trip and carried a ~30-35 lbs pack up and down the mountain. 

I lost 2.6 lbs in 10 days...I think that is pretty much the same rate I have been losing for the last few weeks, so I will call this a win! Thanks again guys!

EDIT: I had an amazing vacation...we ended up cancelling the hotel room and going on a backpacking trip instead, which was a great choice!! So I did not sleep in a regular bed for 10 days, camping for 7 days and backpacking for 3 days, but made tons of amazing memories! 

Best Answer

Yay! So glad you had a great time!  Backpacking sounds amazing and you were very active!  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

That sounds like a great vacation @lavabelle.  And I bet it feels really good to prove to yourself that you can handle and enjoy a vacation environment while in "weight loss mode."

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott yes for sure it was extremely satisfying...I also really enjoyed my fitness level. Backpacking is hard work, and I felt completely comfortable hauling that huge pack up and down that mountain...I felt so strong! That felt really amazing! I felt completely natural and at ease which was so motivating...I can't wait to see how much easier it is to climb mountains at my goal weight...it really motivated me to continue to get down to a healthier weight...so I can climb lots of mountains in my future AND really enjoy it!!!

Best Answer