Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing weight and fat - advices welcome :)

ANSWERED

Guys and Gals,

37 years old, 172cm height and 72kg (sorry, I am from Europe).

I am on 2000 kcal diet from a month (5 meals per day, max 35% kcal from fat, at least 2 grams of protein/kg).

4 workouts per week (2x muay thai, 2x fbw). Up to date no results in waist - 88cm and no reduction.

Any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you want to eat at your current level and lose weight, you need to increase your overall activity. Whether you do it during the course of your workday, or before/after it depends on your own constraints. For instance, I’m self-employed and I work from home, so I have quite some freedom to decide about my schedule. Maybe you have a boss who would be annoyed if you spent too much time moving around during work hours, when your job is to sit in front of a computer? I think for most people with a regular job, it’s easier to find time for extra activity outside of their working hours. At what time do you come home from work and at what time do you go to bed? That could be your window for that extra walk (for instance, instead of watching TV).

If you can’t increase your activity, but still want to lose weight, you’ll have to lower your intake. Since you don’t have dozens of kilos to lose, you could push for a more agressive deficit for a limited period of time (e.g. 4-6 weeks).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I see from your other posts you’ve had a Charge HR for 2.5 years. What has your activity level (step count / calories burned / active minutes) been during that time? A large part of your total energy expenditure (TDEE) comes from what is called NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis): the impact of your 4 weekly workouts on TDEE is much smaller. If you have a desk job and are not very active outside your workouts, you may not expend a lot more than 2000 calories per day (even if your Charge HR says you do). If this is the case, and you want to lose weight/fat, you should either increase activity a little bit (general activity, like walking everyday), or slightly decrease your intake, or a combination of both. One month of tracking and weighing yourself should give you a reasonably good idea of what your real energy balance is (as opposed to what Fitbit/MyFitnessPal is telling you): if your weight and body measurements haven’t moved at all in one month, you’ve probably been eating at maintenance during that time. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, actuallly I have a desk job 🙂

According to Fitbit my average kcal burn for last 28 days is 2686 and avg steps taken is 9800 per day.

Six months ago I had similiar reduction period lasting 3 months, with around 1900-2000kcal intake and 2500 kcal burn and managed to lose 2kg and 4 cm in waist. Unfortunately after these three months I quit muay thai workouts and gained on weight 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

2686 calories with a desk job + 10k steps may be on the high side. With your numbers, this calculator (which uses the Mifflin St Jeor equation, like Fitbit) puts TDEE at 2503 at moderate activity level (3/5) and at 2786 at high activity level (4/5). In my personal experience, high activity is more like 15k steps for someone with a desk job.

What does your active hours graph looks like? I mean this one (taken from my profile😞

2017-08-28_2000.png

It’s available from your profile (but only your friends can see it, with your current settings). If your red curve is relatively flat, your calories burned may be overstated.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique

my profile:

pro.jpg

OK, so I should do more actvities during my working hours, like walking a few minutes every 1-2 hours?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd go for raising the fairly active and very active. Are you still doing Muay Thai? I would think that would cover some of the very active time.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you want to eat at your current level and lose weight, you need to increase your overall activity. Whether you do it during the course of your workday, or before/after it depends on your own constraints. For instance, I’m self-employed and I work from home, so I have quite some freedom to decide about my schedule. Maybe you have a boss who would be annoyed if you spent too much time moving around during work hours, when your job is to sit in front of a computer? I think for most people with a regular job, it’s easier to find time for extra activity outside of their working hours. At what time do you come home from work and at what time do you go to bed? That could be your window for that extra walk (for instance, instead of watching TV).

If you can’t increase your activity, but still want to lose weight, you’ll have to lower your intake. Since you don’t have dozens of kilos to lose, you could push for a more agressive deficit for a limited period of time (e.g. 4-6 weeks).

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey

Yes, twice a week, 90mins each workout. Plus FBW twice a week, 45 mins each. Both of these quit exhausting.

Thank you Guys! Trying to boost my fairly active time first.

Best Answer
0 Votes