Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 31 pounds -No additional loss in 9 months???

ANSWERED

So, I had quit smoking and gone thru menopause at the same time...not a good combination and I gained 32#'s.   So, i finally took control of the situation, got on an exercise regime, got a Fitbit, and started eating right.  I was ecstatic with my progress.  Felt better, looked better, new clothes shopping.  But, I still wanted to lose another 20#'s.  I cannot BUDGE the weight.  The only thing I've changed is that I have stopped the aerobics and opted for an elliptical and low weight lifting.  I'm going back to the aerobics but am looking for anyone who has  any ideas that I am not seeing.  My workout schedule:  Treadmill 20mins, Elliptical 15mins, 20ea crunches,knee bends, waist side x sides, squats, band arm stretches. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I went through the same thing a couple years ago, I talked to my Dr and she said 4 days eat no carbs, only meat, cheese, eggs, and 80 ozs of water, keep it around 1300 cal a day, if you are exercising and burning, up the calorie intake a little more. Day 5, add 20 g of carb, mainly through veggies.  I did that for about 3 weeks and it jump started me back to losing again.  Hope that helps!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I went through the same thing a couple years ago, I talked to my Dr and she said 4 days eat no carbs, only meat, cheese, eggs, and 80 ozs of water, keep it around 1300 cal a day, if you are exercising and burning, up the calorie intake a little more. Day 5, add 20 g of carb, mainly through veggies.  I did that for about 3 weeks and it jump started me back to losing again.  Hope that helps!

Best Answer

How accurately are you keeping track of what you're eating? You could be eating more calories than you think, or your calories in versus calories out is not a deficit anymore to continue losing weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations on changing your life! So at the moment what you are eating energy wise (calories in) perfectly matches what you are burning (calories out). You have found the balance for maintaining your current weight.

You can either reduce what you are eating or increase your exercise. You sound very focused on exercise but that is only one part of the equation (and in my opinion the less important factor in losing weight). Depending on your lifestyle and your fitness goals, adjusting your intake is probably the easiest and least time consuming.

If you aren't already logging what you eat, start doing so without changing anything for a week. Once you have a gauge of how much you are eating now, you can then reduce it by say 500 calories a day to start off with. As mentioned it is very easy to be eating more than you think if you aren't recording everything you eat.

If you have been logging what you eat, make sure that you have your portion sizes correct by weighing solids and measuring fluids. The size of a portion or serve of some food can be startling when you actually weigh it out (nuts, cereal and peanut butter come to mind).

Also that last 20 pounds will probably be slow to come off so patience will be needed.

Hope that helps

Best Answer

Have you decreased your calories since losing those pounds? The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose the weight. You really have to tighten up your diet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for the responses. Lybel, I am going to adopt your ideas starting today.  I'm excited, hoping it 's going to work the same for me as it did for you!  Thanks Again

Any ideas on the diet thingy.  I love fruits n veggies.  Am not a "sweet" eater at all.  Drink 64 oz of water everyday, don't do soda/tea or even coffee???  I am open to all suggestions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Eat food you like within your calorie budget.

For weight loss it doesn't matter so much what you eat as how much you eat.

All diet options that work come down to being in a calorie deficit, no matter what they are claiming.

It all comes down to personal preference and goals.

Image result for How are all diets work

Best Answer

Thank you very much.  I am going to adopt this effective today and see what happens.  Appreciate the help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very closely I promise.  It's like I'm just stuck in a rut. I mean, I haven't gained anything, but, I'm no longer losing either.  I do have a bad habit of eating too soon before bedtime and I'd like to adjust that, but, with my work scheduling it's hard sometimes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you been taking your measurements. Alot of times when I hit a plateau, I've lost inches instead of weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
yes it does help.  i'm not so much wanting to ditch more calories though.  i would LOVE to be able to get in more exercise.  what is unfortunate is that i am attached to a computer all day long and really cramps my style trying to get in workout time
Best Answer
0 Votes