Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost on what to do with losing weight

So I’ve been working out and dieting for 5 months now. I no longer eat gluten. i eat primarily meat and vegetables baked/raw/sautéed in olive oil. I cut out the sweets. My average calorie intake is about 1,500calories. 

• I work out everyday for 2-4hours, I spend 1 hr doing core workouts nonstop, 15min to stretch, 1hr cardio (about 4-5miles), 30-1hr arm/leg (weight lifting, squats, etc.)
  • i go to the steam room after a workout for 15min. 
  • I take preworkout, lots of vitamins, sleep well, protein shakes and drink lots of water

I am 5’2” and currently weigh a weight that’s been fluctuating for the last month and a half from 164-167. When I first started I weighed 185. I stopped seeing weight loss/inches loss. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? What i should be doing? Why my weight only fluctuates and there’s no weight/inches loss?  I switch up my routines every 4 weeks. Sorry for the long post, I am just out of ideas.

Best Answer
0 Votes
31 REPLIES 31

Dominique,  So they are saying the same thing I said.  The body uses a few more calories right at first but all these people who are so stuck on the calorie expenditure they are supposedly racking up and therefore then can eat more are making a serious mistake and are going to get FAT.  Little Vicky can not eat 1500 calories a day without weighing 150 pounds.  If she wants to weigh 120 she better eat about 1200 calories.  If someone wants to weigh 140 they better not expect exercise to allow them to eat lots more than 1400 calories.  (women).    I have exercised every day for decades and I have no health problems.  Exercise is good for that.    I am disappointed  that the search engine post that Vickey read said she could eat 1500 calories.  She needs to chose several other entries.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thankfully dropping my calories to 1200 won’t be too hard considering I’m already doing 1500. I’m going to incorporate what you all have suggested and hopefully start losing some more weight instead of lingering at this number. Thankfully I got myself into calorie/carb/fat/sugar/protein tracking months ago so it shouldn’t be too hard. I’m also going to listen to that podcast during my evening workout. 😁

Best Answer

@Glenda wrote:

Little Vicky can not eat 1500 calories a day without weighing 150 pounds.  If she wants to weigh 120 she better eat about 1200 calories.  

Height does play a role in energy expenditure, but its impact shouldn’t be overstated. @Vickykindle didn’t mention her age, but I believe she’s much younger than you and me, so I’ll assume she’s 30. With that assumption, her calculated BMR at 5’2"/165 would be 1422. My own calculated BMR (being 174cm/64kg/59-yo) is 1438, so even as a male and being taller (174 cm = 5’8.5"), it’s almost identical. Yet, I eat far more than 1500 calories, even when in weightloss mode, as now. The thing is, her actual BMR is (currently) likely lower than the one predicted by calculators, because of the reduction in metabolism that followed 4-5 months spent in a caloric deficit, whereas mine is likely close to the calculated one, because I’ve spent the last seven years within ± 4 kg of my current weight. I still think it would be a mistake for her to eat 1200 calories, given her level of activity (1200 would be OK for weighloss if she were a couch potato with a desk job).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique You could be quite right Dominique but when I was 30 I was a champion golfer with lots of muscle and I played and practiced all the time.  I restricted calories all the time too.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I forgot to say I weighed 108 pounds which is ideal for me at 5'1.5  and although I NEVER ate junk food I wasn't counting calories.   So I don't know for sure the count.  I have dieted most of my life.  I really started when I decided to have a baby.  I wanted my weight perfect at the beginning of a pregnancy.  So it was 108 for decades from then on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 21, oops I forgot to mention that. 

Best Answer

@Vickykindle: then congratulations, your calculated BMR (1467) is higher than mine (1445)!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Vickykindle  Vicky,  I apologize for saying anything about your calories or weight.    Both may be perfect.   Evidently all the young women who work out and try to build lots of muscle are sensitive about the numbers.  If you like the way you look that is all that matters.  There are a few people who have very slim looking faces that are fat but mostly people carrying too much fat have fat faces.  If your face pleases you I think you could forget about numbers.  It isn't anyone else' business how much you weigh. If anyone ever asks, I think you should put them right on the spot and ask them if they think you look fat or something.   That will probably end the subject.     The thing that motivated me to be very slim was that if I gained my rear end got bigger.  I so hated that.   Best wishes.  .

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Glenda Oh no worries! I promise nobody here is hurting my feelings. I know that health wise I do not feel great and it’s because of my weight. It’s no hiding the fact that I am way over weight. I totally get that people think self love is loving your body for what it is and I love my body but I also love it enough to understand that this is not healthy for me. I stopped losing weight and so I REALLY appreciate all input and suggestions on what I can do to continue my journey. All of you have been super helpful. I am not looking for any sugar coating, just seeking help and honesty. I truly want to continue living a healthy lifestyle and there’s still lots for me to learn so don’t ever feel the need to try to walk on eggshells when discussing this topic. Because I really really appreciate all the guidance and suggestions that have been given to me. 🙂

Best Answer

I was wrong in 2019; activity that uses a few calories does make a difference.  Sitting on a couch I only use 900 calories a day.  Being my usual active self I  use lots more.  A gout-arthritis attack on  a knee put me on crutches for a while.  That is all well and gone but hips are a problem now and I have gained weight. A doctor gave me 4 pages of exercises for hip joints.  It seemed overwhelming,  but I'm organized now.  I made half a page of little pictures of the exercises  with all the standing together, those laying on your back together, laying on your side in a group, and face down together,  There are 14 laying down exercises that are not so bad on a soft bed, and  only took 20 minutes.  But I did 10 each NOT holding 5 seconds at the middle point.  I'll work up to that.  I like the 5 standing exercises better.  Google suggested doing each exercise 5 times but since I wasn't holding I did the doctors recommendation of10 times each.   I really liked the 5 times better.  LOL  I'm supposed to do exercises 2 times a day.  If I can do this at age 80 all you youngsters at 65 can exercise too.  

I have no idea how many calories I use doing these exercises for joints but 1/2 the people over 65 have arthritis and exercise is recommended for all.  I used to walk 40 minutes on a  treadmill.  Now I'm only back to 10 - 20 minutes  A doctor told me to ride my recumbent bike 10 minutes which is so doable, I do it,  I can read on the treadmill or bike, anyway.   Exercise helps painful body parts so google if you have a problem.

I lose weight when I don't snack all day.  I drink a 75 calorie, 15 g  protein drink instead of trying to eat well.  It is cheaper than meat these days.  By accident I have 2 giant continuers of old fashioned oatmeal that I probably paid $3 for and the price is up to $7.  now,   I'm going to try to lose 10 pounds one way or another. 

Best Answer

It wasn't true about the oatmeal.  The price is still almost $4 for the big round container.  I'm thinking I should go shopping just to get myself off the couch and on my feet walking around for more activity.  I could try the treadmill for a few minutes.

Any bit of activity seems to help our weight loss effort.  Shopping  I mostly buy paper books at the  resale shops for entertainment.  (I have an e-reader with thousands of books on it )  They just raised the price from 50 cents to a dollar for a book at Forgotten Angel store for paper back books.  It is weird that hard back books cost more.  Don't you like paper backs better?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Vicky. 

I know it can be frustrating! I am also 5'2" so I get it! Most programs and advice are geared toward a more general audience and not oward people well below the average height. When you are this short, you don't need as much food to sustain and even less to lose weight as a person of average height. Sorry! I am working to lose the last 5 pounds (to get to 115) and it is definitely the hardest. It's really all about the food. As for exercise, cut back on that significantly. Too much working out makes you hungrier, produces cortisol (stress) and is counter-productive. Take a 30-45 minute walk as many days as possible in exchange for some of the exercise, preferably outside. Try doing 2 HIIT workouts a week for no more than 15-20 minutes with weight training the other 2-3 days in between - again 20-30 minutes should be sufficient on any day if your diet is right and if your diet is wrong, exercise won't help. Be sure to take one or two days off (except for walking and stretching - you can do that every day). Another idea is to give your body a break from working out all together for a week and just walk. Then begin again with the protocol above. I believe this will give your body the break and reset it needs. I personally eat a low carb diet with protein and healthy fat at every meal and it keeps me satisifed and never hungry. I have also found that for my body type, short and muscular, I do better with fewer carbs so if I want carbs, I eat some berries with or without a little cream or one square of dark chocolate (78% or higher). There are many ways of eating that will work for weight loss but I have found that for me this is the most sustainable and satisfying. Our bodies are beautifully designed by God and can run on either carbs or fats and protein so you need to determine which works best for you. When I eat more carbs, I stay hungrier all day so low carb, higher fat, works well for me. Find what works for you and you will lose the weight. Wishing yoiu all the best! 

Best Answer
0 Votes