Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menopausal hypothyroid and REALLY struggling to lose weight.

I was wondering if there was anyone else in a similar position to myself? I am 53 menopausal hypothyroid with osteo arthritis in my knees for which i have had 2 unicompartmental joint replacement and facing more surgery on one of my knees. I am doing wii fit yoga and training and trying to walk a bit within the pain threshold and i am just not losing anything am so dispondent Woman FrustratedSmiley SadCat Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I wouldn't call this being in a similar position as you but I am 59 years old, I have multiple sclerosis, discoid lupus and asthma. I started my journey 2 years ago by walking every chance I could. I would start by doing just 7.5 minutes in one direction and turning going back the same way I came. I figured I could do a mile in 15 minutes, the next day I would do 8 minutes of walking before I turned back. Every time I went out I would add a minute to the walk, after a year of doing this I was able to complete 5 miles in 90 minutes. I would never push myself specially on hot days. By going slowly you do not hurt your joints and you do not tell yourself "I'm not doing this again". I now ride bicycle, walk and work with a trainer. Another thing you can look at is the medication that you are taking, some medications will cause you to feel tired and sore. I had surgery 17 years ago so I'm not on any hormone therapy. Take it slow, enjoy the scenery.Measure yourself when you start, the pounds will come of slowly but you will see the inches go down. I have gone down from a size 12 to an 8 but my weight has not gone down dramatically

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am in the same boat in being menopausal for sure!  I'll be 59 in November and still fighting the symptoms.  I don't have the same health issues although I have a bulging disc and my back hurts very quickly when I start walking.  But I'm doing it anyway, trying to find ways to walk so it hurts less.  And I'm seeing a chiropractor.  And logging everything I eat into FitBit. 

I am losing but slowly and sometimes, inexplicably my weight will go up although I did nothing "wrong" that day as far as diet and exercise.

I've only had the Flex for a week and so far love it and find it very motivating.  Would love to have some other women around my age to be friends and encourage one another.  Please add me as a friend, or I will add you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there! I'm younger (36), but I definitely have some similiar challenges. I had a complete hysterectomy almost two years ago, and the hormonal changes (very sudden, in my case) have NOT been fun. I was diagnosed about a year ago with Hashimoto's and am still struggling to find appropriate synthroid doses that help symptoms without swinging me into hyperthyroid territory (I've been kind of vacillating between the two). I also have reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) which causes considerable pain in my right arm and chest, AND am recovering after a couple of recent spinal surgeries.

Long story short, I'm finally finding my footing and feeling more like myself  after a few very trying years and trying to get control over my weight and health. Not easy, but I'm thrilled to be feeling OK and able to be active again  (until my most recent surgery I was hobbling along with a cane-or occasionally using a wheelchair- because of severely herniated lumbar discs that left me functionally paralyzed on the left).

Anywho, I know that these kinds of challenges make things harder, but I'm happy that you're finding ways to take control and I know that you'll have success. Nice to meet you Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a special kind of challenge, hun!  I just turned 59 and have been HT for about 20 years...it IS hard.  But with my doctors help, a LOT of exercise, going completely off sugar and starch I lost 120 lb in the past year.  I still have about 30 to goal but wow do I feel better.  But this last 30 is taking longer than the first 120!  All I can tell you is never give up, drink drink drink your water, I counted carbs and calories.  Move your body - find EVERYthing you can possibly do and do it, change it up, don't stop.  It IS possible.  Slow, frustrating, HARD...but possible!  Good luck!!

Best Answer

Hi older girls,

I am almost 49 and are strugling too.
Menopause is knocking on my door for a couple of years, which gves me a lot of discomfort.
But my biggest challenge is my footproblem. I started to have a pelvic/back problem 3 years ago

and then twisted my angle/ftoot. Since then life is big challeng in evey way : let alone in moving and walking.
had all the scans and seen docters and tried it all. still the same pains.

cannot walk more then 8-10 minutes at a time for about full 2 years. I am lucky with my weight : did not gain anything and still slim. But the stress and frustration of my footpain (and still going on back trouble) : an because of that not been able to move more than i do now is killing me from time to time. Bought myself a flex because i was curious

how many ( or more : how little) i actually are moving on a day. 8-10 minutes is nothing : but if

you do enough of these little sessions : it is better then nothing! try to do some yoga sitting down while ofcourse still looking for solutions. walking little bits is better then nothing?

life with pain is a huge challenge and staying in shape is more then hard work!

nice to meet you all

greetings

Luna

Best Answer
0 Votes

Annamaria,  Yes, very similar position.  50 menopausal hypothyroid and arthritis in both my knees.  No replacements yet but the doctor says it's just a matter of time.  I'm trying to walk with my pups (good for all of us) but finding it hard to do every day.

Best Answer
0 Votes