Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother's Day Challenge. Lose 20 by Mother's Day! Who is with me?

ANSWERED

Being involved in a challenge helps keep me motivated and it seems like it works for others too.  It also helps to have a goal and a deadline to get there.  Let's all get healthier for ourselves and for our families.  Let's do this for our kids, or our grandkids, or for our own mothers as well as for ourselves.  Come join me and let's do this!

Best Answer
442 REPLIES 442
What a coincidence! Someone told me about these "mason jar salads" this week. Got a bunch of ingredients this morning and i am going to put them together for the week. I have got into the habit of bringing my lunch to work but this is going to turn up the healthy another notch
Best Answer
0 Votes
How would we post them here?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Opps! I meant how would we post our weekly summaries here?
Best Answer
0 Votes
@kmr2014
Are you sure 1200 calories a day is enough for you? Most people need more than that. What's your BMR?

I totally get you and all the other people huddling up inside in the cold. I don't think I've been out of the house this week at all because of the temperatures here.
Kudos to those who are getting their steps in by walking around inside!

I've had a terrible week in regards of eating and sleeping. I've been really exhausted due to a lack of sleep or sleeping terrible, so I can't be bothered to stand in the kitchen and make food for long, which in turn makes me struggle to meet my calorie goal.
In spite of this, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll lose some weight this week. If I do, I'm well on my way to losing 5kg (11lbs) by March. Going away to see my parents and celebrate my dad's birthday and I'm hoping to look and feel a bit better than the last time I saw them.

If anyone has any good and easy soup recipes to share, feel free to share. I have loads of time and I love certain types of soup and curling up in the corner of the couch with a blanket and a mug of hot soup in the current cold weather sounds pretty nice about now. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. Love to share recipes. This is a WW soup I learned from a friend. Just 4 ingredients:
1 can refried beans, 1 can black beans, 1 can white sweet corn, 1 jar salsa
Dump all contents into pot to simmer. Make healthier by using low fat refried beans. Make more hearty by adding meat (browned ground beef or grilled chicken). Top with shredded cheese or sour cream if desired. Very versatile and yummy. I buy the baked tortillas to scoop up like dip. Mmmm.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the recipe
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Elansc, I think we can post our summaries by copying and pasting them from the email to the box that comes up when we hit the reply button.  I think everyone gets them on Tuesday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Count me in!! Just got my my Flex a week ago and was looking for a good group to join and hoping to make new friends too. Thank you for starting this challenge.

Best Answer

thanks Shelley!  I will definitely post my results when I get them on Tuesday!

Well it is 3 weeks and the scale has not moved -- I am sure it is broken Smiley Happy

I feel like I am smaller!!  -- pants I put on this morning are noticably looser and when I measured myself yesterday (it was the 1st of the month!) I was down 0.5 inches on my waist, 1.25 on my hips, and 0.25 on my thighs (I was particularly happy about that as that is my problem area and very slow to decrease) SOOOO I was sure that I would be down on the scale but nope it is the same....  I guess I must be gaining muscle Smiley Wink   time will tell

Good news is that I met my step goal of 10,000 steps every day since Monday and I even hit 15,000 on Tuesday (only the second time I have ever done that!!).  Sunday is always my lazy day but I am going to force myself to at least try (might try a Leslie Sansone walking video on youtube)

Not sure what else I can do as I am also meeting the myfitnesspal calorie goal but I am hoping the mason jar salads shake things up...I am going to make them tonight for the week.

Hope that everyone is warm and safe -- as I look outside at another foot of white fluffy snow!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All!  I have gotten off track and really need to get back on board!  I have gotten way from tracking with the flex the past few days and it really makes a differnce when I dont. I baked yesterday for a friend and of course was too much of a temptation. Now its February so a new month to focus on. Just got back from snow shoeing  in more fresh snow so feeling energized but looking for comfort foods too. Any ideas for low cal treats?  Like to hear all the motivational tips. Now for a cup of green tea to warm up!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Elansc -  thats great!  You are gaining muscle, so don't stress about the scale not moving - focus on the fact that your pants are looser!  I'm looking forward to that for myself. 🙂

Some low cal/healthy snacks I have discovered - I love skinny pop popcorn (39 calories a cup and its really good), edamame steamed in the microwave with a little salt (110 calories per cup) and I've also started slicing seedless cucumbers and putting them in sadwich bags in the fridge with salt and pepper, or galic salt, and a little cayenne pepper (to rev metabolism).  They kind of marinate them selves after a few hours and satisfy my salty/crunchy cravings instead of reaching for the chips.

I've been struggling to get my 10,000 steps in everyday, so that is my goal for this week - make at least five days.  I've only had my Force for about a week and half. The first few days I just kind of tracked my regular activity to see where I was.  I was shocked at how little I atually moved!  I'm a photographer and thought I was pretty active with my job, but a lot of time is spent at home on my computer editing and I'm really inactive on those days.  My Force has definitely made me more aware and gotten me moving more.  Today is the first day that I feel likes it's paying off.  I feel better and have more energy.  Now, I just have to watch myself today at the Superbowl party I will be attending!  Going to try to get in a decent workout before I go!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here are my weekly stats 

TOTAL STEPS
DAILY AVERAGE
11,066 steps
BEST DAY
14,941 steps

TOTAL DISTANCE
31.48 miles 
DAILY AVERAGE
4.50 miles
BEST DAY
6.08 miles

TOTAL FLOORS CLIMBED
DAILY AVERAGE
floors
BEST DAY
19 floors

TOTAL CALS BURNED
DAILY AVERAGE
2,060 cals
BEST DAY
2,290 cals

CALORIES IN VS OUT
WEEKLY TOTAL
14417 cals burned
8729 cals eaten
-5250 plan deficit

WEIGHT CHANGE
1.1 lb 
LIGHTEST
167.6 lb
HEAVIEST
169.3 lb
Best Answer

Sorry ladies.  I have been away due to a death in the family.  I was in Northern Ontario with no cell, internet coverage.  Of course during times of sorrow, there is always so much food and alcohol.  I ate things I should not have and drank way too much.  I am finally back at home and determined to get right back at it.  

It was great to be arounded extended family.  My aunt who was 80 passed away.  The weather was absolutely horrid.  -45 C warning people not to go outside.   I tried keeping up with my steps but I think my last couple of weeks at work were pretty intense that relaxing was just what I needed.    I am not going to weigh myself until I feel like I am back on track.  

I missed you all 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So sorry to hear about your aunt's passing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

here are my weekly stats! hopefully it works!!

i Elansc, here are your weekly stats.
1/27/2014 to 2/02/2014
WEEK'S MOST ACTIVE DAY
Tue, Jan 28
 WEEK'S LEAST ACTIVE DAY
Thu, Jan 30
TOTAL STEPS
DAILY AVERAGE
11,313 steps
BEST DAY
15,622 steps

TOTAL DISTANCE
60.19 km
DAILY AVERAGE
8.60 km
BEST DAY
11.87 km

TOTAL CALS BURNED
DAILY AVERAGE
2,646 cals
BEST DAY
2,930 cals

CALORIES IN VS OUT
WEEKLY TOTAL
18524 cals burned
13133 cals eaten
-3500 plan deficit

WEIGHT CHANGE
0.0 lb
LIGHTEST
198.5 lb
HEAVIEST
198.5 lb

AVG SLEEP DURATION
7 hrs 45 min
AVG TIMES AWAKENED
AVG TIME TO FALL ASLEEP
0hrs 11min

Last week's step winners

1Elansc
79,194 steps
See current leaderboard

Last week's badgesho

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Mama2tony Thanks for the recipe, but unfortunately I've never been a fan of beans. It's not a well used ingredient in my country. I can't ever remember my family using beans, but we made a chili when I went to school ages ago...
I found a recipe for a goulash soup I'm going to try today. I'll share if it's as good as I hope it is.

@formerlyfit I'm sorry about your aunt. But it's a good thing that you got to relax as this is important for your mind and body.

Weekly summary, sigh. As I previously mentioned, last week was terrible for me and it's clearly reflected in my steps.
My steps for last week was a whooping all time low of 7530.
Keep in mind that my daily goal is about 2500 steps.
I lost 0,2 kg or about 0.4 lbs, which I'm very grateful for, seeing as I've been bloated as a balloon since about Friday.
I also see that my calorie deficit tile is not the only one that's wrong. My summary says my deficit is almost 400, but based on the numbers provided in the same tile, it is actually about 3900. I hope this will get fixed soon.

I'm off to make soup and continue yesterday's big cleaning project, so I hope you guys have a great week!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Formerlyfit, I am sorry to hear of your loss.  How wonderful that you could go be with your family during this time.

Alastra, I am wondering if you are talking about the "Calories in vs. out" tile being 400 calories?  I was confused by that tile but finally have it figured out.  If your weight loss plan deficit is set to 3500 calories and you burned 3900, then that is 400 more than you planned and that will show up as -400 on your calories in vs out.  So that tile shows if you met the calorie deficit goal, exceeded the goal or didn't meet the goal.  If you look at my results posted, you will see that I have my plan goal set at 5250.  I burned 14417 calories and ate 8729 calories which is a difference of 5688 so my calories in vs out tile shows that I exceeded the goal of 5250 by an additional 438 calories.  And Elansc exceeded her plan by an additional 1891 calories. 

Based on your numbers, Elansc, you should have lost 1.5 pounds.  People like to say it is all about calories in vs calories out but I don't think that is always the case.  It is part of the overall picture but not all of it.  You did really good with your steps and eating this week and you might have built muscle.  We have to remember to go by our measurements too and not just the scale.  

I have been sick for the last few days and done nothing but lay around and rest.  My steps are way down! I feel better enough to go back to work today but am not going to push myself to walk till I feel more like myself again.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for clearing that up, it all makes sense now.
I was so sure it had to be cals in minus cals out, but this is actually much more neat. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello All,

Time for me to get re-focused.  Would like to join the Mother's day Challenge.  20 pounds is my my goal

and the help of all of you will keep me motiviated.  Thanks all... RoseAnn H.

Best Answer
Here are my stats for last week....Ignore the sleep, as I have YET to get it to work, but as you can see, I accidentally got it on sleep ONE day!!!

Hi Nancy, here are your weekly stats.
1/27/2014 to 2/02/2014
WEEK'S MOST ACTIVE DAY
Fri, Jan 31 WEEK'S LEAST ACTIVE DAY
Sat, Feb 1
TOTAL STEPS
120,980 DAILY AVERAGE
17,283 steps
BEST DAY
22,038 steps
TOTAL DISTANCE
54.45 miles DAILY AVERAGE