Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Year to April Fools weight loss challenge, weekly weigh-in

This is a spin-off of the venerable Weekly Weigh In topic that now has 2500+ posts spanning over four years and is therefore a bit crowded. The idea is the same: to provide accountability and motivation to fellow community members who wish to shed some weight over the next three months.

The rules are flexible: to report weight (and any other metrics) on a weekly basis (you can pick any day you like). I’ll personally report average weight for the previous week every Monday, starting next Monday (Dec-30, so technically not quite New Year). This coming week will provide the baseline/starting point.

I’ve been steadily gaining about 4 kg (8.8 lbs) over the Fall, from about 60 to almost 64 kg (141 lbs):

2019-12-23_1224.png

It’s now time to get back to a leaner level, ideally around 60 kg.

Is anyone else game for this?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

Good idea @Dominique I'm in! 

I've been pretty steady for past three months, but would like to get a bit leaner over the first quarter of 2020.  My goal is to lose 2-4 lbs/month with an end weight of about 155 lbs (+ or - 2 lbs).  I will weigh in on Sundays, with my first being 12.29.

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.47.09 AM.png

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I'm game. I need to lose 30 pounds. Need some sort of accountability. I'll post my weight on Monday. I weighed in at 219 at the gym this morning.

Best Answer

Great to have some company!

@Baltoscott: you’ve been really good at maintaining your new lower weight (looks like 170+ is now a thing of the past for you, a bit like 70+ kg for me)!

@KarlAmherst: I’m not a coach, and I won’t pretend to be one, but I’d suggest you don’t attempt to lose all of the 30 pounds in three months. Here are the limits I believe in for sustainable weight loss: 1) max. 3 months before taking a break (hence the period chosen for this challenge), 2) max. 1% of bodyweight per week, 3) max. 10% of starting bodyweight before taking a break. I see you have a military background, I know you can do it!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

I will join in.

I WI on Fridays so my first will be 12/27

I would like to lose 3-5# per month

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@Dominiqueplease count me in.  I too have put on 6 or 7 pounds since returning from vacation in late September.  I would like to lose 2 pounds per month to get back down to 122.  I will post on Sundays.

thanks for doing this @Dominique, great idea!

Best Answer

First weigh-in of New Years to April Fools weight-loss challenge:

12/29       162.8 lbs

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique  You have good reasons for everything.  I wondered why it was for 3 months.  I would like to be in, starting after New Years Day, so post Friday the 3rd,  I eat more over the weekend and weigh most Monday morning.   1% for me is 1 pound.   

Best Answer

I WI 12/27 -.5

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm in!  I have 60 - 70 lbs to lose during 2020 so getting off to a good start in the first few months is key.  I'm generally not very good at keeping up to things like reporting in on a weekly basis but I'll give it a go!

Best Answer

Today is Monday (reporting day) and my starting point:

Week 0, 30-Dec-19: 64.0 kg, 2594 cal, 14.9k steps, 16.3%

Numbers are average values for the past week. I’ll try to lose between 0.25 and 0.50 kg per week.

Welcome to this challenge, @Whyshoshoni@Glenda@WendyB  and @JogieBear, let’s crush it!

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@Glenda wrote:

I wondered why it was for 3 months.   

It’s from the same source as the 1% and 10% "rules", i.e. Mike Israetel, my go-to resource for all things weightloss, nutrition and strength training. The idea is 3 months is long enough to yield tangible results (even with the constraints of the 1% and 10% rules), but short enough to limit the adverse effects of weightloss (e.g. reduced metabolism). You’ll find explanations in the Losing All Your Weight At Once video. More details are provided in a couple of e-books he (Mike Israetel) has co-authored that I’ve mentioned in this older topic

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@JogieBear wrote:

I'm in!  I have 60 - 70 lbs to lose during 2020 so getting off to a good start in the first few months is key.  I'm generally not very good at keeping up to things like reporting in on a weekly basis but I'll give it a go!

I think you speak for a lot of people @JogieBear ! Welcome!  I know it doesn’t work for everybody, especially when the weight is a little stubborn coming off, or even goes up some weeks, but a daily habit of getting on the scale seems to help me keep those long term goals a little closer to the front of my mind. And reporting in on a weekly basis seems to reinforce the daily habit.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happy New Year everyone!  I forgot to weigh myself Sunday, so now will (try to) post on Wednesday instead.

1/1/2020 weight - 128.8 lbs.        goal weight - 122 lbs

12/25 thru 12/31 averages:          daily goals:

15377 steps                                 15000

2269 calories burned                   2020

72 active minutes                         60

So far so good, hoping to keep up the momentum! @Baltoscott, I agree with your point about weighing daily! I used to do that, but have been weighing infrequently the last several months and have gained some during this time.  Obviously not a direct result of not weighing, but more of an ‘out of sight, out of mind’ impact. 

Happy 2020 All!

Best Answer

Hi Everyone.

I'd like to participate. 

1/1/20 - 170 lbs

Goal for 4/1/20 - 164

Will update on Wednesdays. 

Best Answer

Hi, 

Yes please can I join in... only a day late.. I  need some motivation..  I need to get back to a healthy level.. but doing to concentrate on weight training this time to see if it helps, as I can't run very far at the moment 😭

Friday will be my normal weigh in, I haven't checked weight in for a while so I am up to a hefty post Christmas 83.6kg, so got 16kg to lose overall, but would like to drop to 77.5 by April..  if not a bit more 😁

Best Answer

@Dominique  Did you all see on livestrong.com email Dec. 22 "Genius (& Healthy) swaps for favorite junk Foods" ?  You should try to find it or google or something...Livestrong.com Recipes.   They have chocolate nice cream made with sliced banana and cocoa.  Pancakes made with  Banana, Oats 1/2 cup,2eggs, 1/2t baking powder .  10 kinds of french fries,  Crispy roasted canned Chickpeas,  pretend chicken wings made of cauliflower flowerets .  plus lots of other things you might think worth trying.

Best Answer

@girlyp wrote:

Yes please can I join in... only a day late..

@girlyp@shm: sure, no problem, the more, the merrier!

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

I’m in!  I didn’t get a 1 January weight, because I wasn’t at home, but my 2 January trend weight was 121 and I would like to be 116 (I am a very small boned 5 foot 2).

I know I can get to 116 - been there several times in the past 5 years.  My problem is that I always bounce back.  It seems my body really, really wants to weigh 120 (I’m up a little in the festive period...)

I’d like to “train” it to bounce to a lower weight...

I think I will try to report on Mondays.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Monday  (back in last year) I weighed 119 which motivated me to try hard this week to have a decent number to post today my first Friday.  I weigh less posting before the weekend when I eat more.  Today I weigh 114.   Better, but it isn't 110 as I was last October and hope to get back to.

Best Answer