Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Year to April Fools weight loss challenge, weekly weigh-in

This is a spin-off of the venerable Weekly Weigh In topic that now has 2500+ posts spanning over four years and is therefore a bit crowded. The idea is the same: to provide accountability and motivation to fellow community members who wish to shed some weight over the next three months.

The rules are flexible: to report weight (and any other metrics) on a weekly basis (you can pick any day you like). I’ll personally report average weight for the previous week every Monday, starting next Monday (Dec-30, so technically not quite New Year). This coming week will provide the baseline/starting point.

I’ve been steadily gaining about 4 kg (8.8 lbs) over the Fall, from about 60 to almost 64 kg (141 lbs):

2019-12-23_1224.png

It’s now time to get back to a leaner level, ideally around 60 kg.

Is anyone else game for this?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

I lost nothing this week. I'm sure its do to champagne and wine on Tuesday and Wednesday 😁

There will be a loss next week

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@Dominique I wonder if the folks in this group would like to have a chart with their name and height across the top and each week the date down the left side and their weight under the names.  Or as in my other group we all report every week and just update the chart the first week of the month.   We carried forward the January weight for the last 3 years and the highest and lowest weight.    It really isn't too big or too much trouble for the number that seems to be in this group, about 10??   Our chart maker was busy so I typed out the info in an email and cut and pasted it into the spot for everyone.  Anyone can cut and paste and add or correct too and then replace it.  Not a big deal.   Since everyone reports their weight on a different day it could be put on the chart on Saturday night for all the days of the week. What do you think?  It is your group.

Best Answer

@Glenda : I’m not really the "owner" of this topic, I merely started it (as a spin-off, the original idea not being from me). I prefer to keep discussions informal. Not everyone is comfortable sharing personal data like height, weight, age etc. and the purpose of this topic is to provide accountability, motivation, support, encouragement, not to "compete" against each other as in a "biggest loser" contest. Reporting is also free-format, so metrics aren’t necessarily comparable.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Dominique We don't compete in my group with the chart. It just makes it easier to notice someone is doing well and applaud them.  It is supportive.  It is helpful though just to report whether anyone else can tell that you are doing well or not since everyone wants to have a better number to report.  Whatever makes people happy....and comfortable is good as you suggest.  Maybe people should comment that their weekly weight number is a success.

Best Answer

1/5     162.9

12/29   162.8 lb

Plus 0.1 lbs doesn’t seem like a success, but since mid-week my trend is down after a two-week increase through mid-December (Holidays definitely affect routines!).  

Should see a decrease next Sunday.

The curve is bending back down ...The curve is bending back down ...

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Glenda wrote:

Monday  (back in last year) I weighed 119 which motivated me to try hard this week to have a decent number to post today my first Friday.  I weigh less posting before the weekend when I eat more.  Today I weigh 114.   Better, but it isn't 110 as I was last October and hope to get back to.

@Glenda -- I tend to weigh the lowest toward the end of the week too.  Generally my Friday evening through Sunday eating patterns are more indulgent and less regular than the rest of the week.  It is clear that the structure of going to work supports regular healthy habits for me (because I have to go to work early, I get to bed earlier, stay to my eating schedule, plan my meals better and drink less).  It all works fine for now while I'm working, but when I 'retire' I'll need to figure out a weekday schedule similar to my work week if I want to maintain weight.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Glenda  A chart puts extra work on someone. I also agree its not needed. I think we will all post each week our success or not success

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Goal: lose between 0.25 and 0.50 kg per week (i.e. down to 58-61 kg).

Week 0, 30-Dec-19: 64.0 kg, 2594 cal, 14.9k steps, 16.3%

Week 1, 6-Jan-20: 63.7 kg, 2781 cal, 16.8k steps, 16.2%, -0.36 kg

I’m on target at week 1, with a loss of 0.36 kg.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@Baltoscott : I’ve always wondered why you had far wider daily fluctuations than me:

scott_dominique.png

6.6 lbs (3.0 kg) for you between the highest and lowest value during the past 30 days, vs. 1.1 kg (2.4 lbs) for me, although we had a very similar pattern (slight increase). However, what you say about workdays vs. weekends makes perfect sense: you have much wider fluctuations in your eating patterns. I’m self-employed, work from home and eat at home almost all the time, which means all days of the week tend to be alike.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Checking In On Monday 6th January 2020

My weight loss for last week was 2.8 lbs.  I'm using the difference between my 'weekly averages' to try to smooth out any blips.  Very happy with my loss.  🙂 

Best Answer

or 1.27 kg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JogieBear , your weight loss is awesome!  If you are interested in ironing out the blips, you might find TrendWeight helpful.  Some of us use it, just for that reason.  I weigh myself every day when I am at home, and TrendWeight helps me see the forest for the trees...

My stats not quite so positive.  Start weight 121.00.

Weight Monday 06/01/2020: 121.01.

I’m not going to worry too much.  I still have Christmas/ New Years parties this week, so I may even creep up a bit more.  But I am remembering this is an approx 3 month challenge, and since I want to change my “set point” the most important thing sometimes is to set a smaller goal and maintain it for a good while.

Optimists rule!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Over the holidays I have gained 15 pounds. eeekk! 

1/7/2020

208 lbs

5'10

Best Answer

@Dominique -- with today's weigh-in I stretched the gap from highest to lowest days over the past 4 weeks to 8.2 lbs, and yet my Trendweight weight change is zero!  Having a tool that smooths out daily fluctuations is really helpful in keeping me from overreacting when I have a jump or a drop of several pounds. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 6.54.42 PM.jpeg

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Hi Everyone,

Today was “weigh” day for me. I lost 0.7 lbs.

Week 0: 170

Week 1: 169.3

It doesn’t seem like much but I am quite happy with this.

I am really trying to focus on doing the right things as a “lifestyle.” The number on the scale is just helping me know how I am doing with my “lifestyle” goals and helping me figure out how to keep “tweaking” those goals to get where I want to be – helping me put the pieces of the “puzzle” together.

Part of that “lifestyle” right now is logging everything I eat and keeping track of calories so I can understand better what I need (versus what I think I need/want) and to help control what I am eating.

I am enjoying reading everyone’s posts and look forward to them.

Best Answer

Pleasantly surprised with .5 lb loss this week, eating was not very disciplined.  Kinda expected a gain instead!

4/1 goal weight - 122 lbs

1/1/2020 - 128.8 lbs 

1/8/2020 - 128.3 lbs

edited to include stats below

1/1 thru 1/7        averages:          daily goals:

16272 steps         15000

2260 cal              2020

79 active min          60

Best Answer

Down 0.7 lbs from last week, and 0.6 lbs overall.

1/12:   162.2 lbs

1/5:     162.9 lbs

12/29: 162.8 lbs

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Goal: lose between 0.25 and 0.50 kg per week (i.e. down to 58-61 kg).

Week 0, 30-Dec-19: 64.0 kg, 2594 cal, 14.9k steps, 16.3%

Week 1, 6-Jan-20: 63.7 kg, 2781 cal, 16.8k steps, 16.2%, -0.36 kg

Week 2, 13-Jan-20: 63.3 kg, 2853 cal, 17.7k steps, 15.9%, -0.37 kg

Almost identical loss as on last week, still on target at week 2.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

5’10
Starting

Jan 6 at 208

now 1/13 at 202 

Mostly water weight I suppose. Getting extra steps in and I bought a row machine. Incorporating yoga, HIIT and Rowing. 

Best Answer

5'1.5" tall  

Dec 30, 2019 I was 119 #  

Friday, Jan. 10  115.4

Trying to get back to October weight 110.   Just learning the Intermittent fasting diet and easing into it.  When you don't eat anything for 16 hours you feel you deserve to eat anything you want right at first.  But now I'm settling into this, and plan to eat less junk food.  I'm so surprised by how easy this is.   It is supposed to improve blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, and liver problems which I don't even have but people in the study lost 3% of weight  WITHOUT dieting.  The 5-2 diet works fine but I am so much more comfortable with every day habits and routine / & autopilot behavior is easier for me.  No decisions  to make every day.  That is the way I have exercised for decades too.

Best Answer
0 Votes