Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and Need Motivation

Good morning!

I have had FitBit since Christmas and absolutely LOVE it! I am 24 and working on losing 40+ lbs in order to feel better, be healthier, and (of course) get that bikini bod (that I haven't had in years) for my boyfriend and my's first vacation in April/May. However he is not quite on the same healthy bandwagon as I am which makes it difficult. I find myself munching on doritos while making dinner or drinking a cup of soda since he keeps it in the house. I have made it to the gym at least 3x a week since December 15th but I keep self destructing as soon as I walk into the house. Looking for others who are boyfriend/fiance/husband challenged and need help staying on track and looking at the long term goal. ALSO. I am considering starting a real life weight loss blog. Blog my struggles, my victories, and some awesome recipes. Would anyone be interested in reading?? Hope you guys have an awesome Monday!

Thanks!!

Jenn

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Jenn!  Good for you for making the changes for a better you in 2015! 

I think especially during the first 30-45 days in transitioning to a healthier lifestyle temptations and slippages are easier to fall for.  It's harder to be prepping dinner and resisting the call of chips (or in my case oreos!).  Easiest path is just avoidance.  Don't have them in the house then can't eat them.  But that sounds more like a 'diet' to me -- more like doing without something. 

Not only is the first month+ about changing and building new habits but also about reprogramming our body's from salty/sugary snacks.  Carbs are not the enemy, but processed/empty carbs are.  In the transition, maybe try to swap out to less bad options.  Recently started getting these whole-grain 'chips' from COSTCO called Food Should Taste Good Mulitgrain Tortillias.  Organic, non-GMO.  Still have to potion control, but being whole grain they're more filling than regular Lays or Doritos.

Some stuff is more urgent than others as  you get started.  Soda....ew!!  Water. Water. Water...splash of Lemon juice for some flavoring if you like. 

Don't have any really specific advice on avoiding backsliding and staying motivated with a less than supportive partner.  I guess I'm just 'self motivated' AND with communities like this one, there's a vegan bodybuilding message site, and POSITIVE podcasts that are out there for free to inspire, motivate and help us strip away the things hiding our true, authentic selves.....

Will keep thinking about it and get back to you!

Best Answer

The healthier option chips would probably be an awesome way to help curb the in between times of getting home and dinner being ready. I am working on cutting out soda 100% which really hasn't been too bad and my water goal per day is 80 oz, which I normally obtain. But you're right, definitely going to need to just be stronger willed. LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh yeah, and should have said as well to not beat yourself up for being human and slipping.  Unless you've a time machine, you can't 'undo' it, but you can make up for it...take an extra lap around the block, or knock out a good 20 mins of cardio/body weight workout.  Even when weather is bad, can jog in place...normal...sprint....high knees for 60 secs...pushups, chair squats, etc..

Get moving, get your heart rate up...burn off the unplanned chips or whatever.  🙂

Best Answer

Hey! I would absolutely read your blog. I truly love reading/hearing people's stories. It's not always easy, in fact, it's almost always hard.

I eat Paleo, and I have for around 3 years now. My husband, however, does not. He eats essentially whatever he wants. Though my husband isn't overweight, nor does he LOOK unhealthy, he's probably one of the most unhealthy people I know. He's a very active man (he's in the Army, can run a mile in about 7 minutes, etc. etc.), but he doesn't eat right. I cook dinner every night, so I know that he's eating healthy then, but it's the junk he eats throughout the day.

It was difficult at first for me, but I finally got to the point where I let him do his thing, while I did mine. Sometimes you just have to have separate cabinents (that's what we do). It's a lot of willpower, but you can do it.

Competitive Crossfitter
Novice Runner
Getting Better EVERY Day
Best Answer

LOL!! My boyfriend is the same way, I don't know how he does it. But yes, we have seperated his "junk" from the actual pantry I use everyday and that helps a lot. I think it's honestly going to come down to how badly I want it, which this time is really bad. So hopefully I'll be able to stick with it. If you don't mind I'm going to send a friend request and when I set up my blog tonight and I'll let you know the address. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes