Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and seeking support - i must lose this weight

Hi Guys,

finally taking steps to lose weight. Its been a hard slog to convert but finally i have had enought of complaining i am fat, shying away from the camera, tantrums that stuff doesnt fit so i cant go out etc.

Started the gym in December but not lost much weight, i have dropped a size in clothes but the scales have stayed thh same, rather anonying. i have been reading soooo much and realised it has to be my food. i am still in denial about having naughty treats. Whilst i have cut them down, clearly i am still overeating as the scales havent moved. i am trying to work with measurments now, as its quite depressing stepping on the scales and seeing no movement, its almost like being put on the naughty step for 2 mins!

i am now linked into fitbit and MFP - i will beat this bulge. i am trying to hit the gym every day with a mixture of strength training, i see that the fitbit doesnt pick up much on this, spinning - i love seeing my results on here after that and pilates, i love pilates as most of it is lying down lol - suits me well. 😉  lastly, some HIIT

i would love to meet some friends on here for support, motivation etc - i think supoort is key to succeding and saving me from eating chocolate - so please friend request me

thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Blake,

Don't worry everyone has to start from somewhere and everyone has road blocks to overcome. The fact that you have drop a size speaks more than the scale could ever say but you are right when it comes to diet and exercise, you can't achieve anything without changing both. I found what helps for  me is that i did all my own cooking and planned my meals. So maybe what you could do is have dessert once a week and do something homemade rather than store bought. There are some really nice healthy versions of desserts and meals such as fish and chips and burgers etc online. Improve the quality of your food instead of getting rid of it all

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

thanks for the reply. yes, im learning that preparing my lunch helps me keep in control and stops me from going to the shop and thinking, oh i have just a little treat. Thats a good idea to see about making my own desserts rather than shop bought.  I bought the hairy bikers book which has lots of ideas in, best take that off the book shelf and open it and look .

i am getting a little confused with MFP and fitbit, should i be recording my exercise on MFP as well as what is recorded on fitbit? or is that duplication? i am not sure that its recording calories on certain programmes, for example i just completed metafit and it states i only burnt 159 calores- that cant be right - can it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's easiest to put all of your exercise in fitbit (steps recorded, which happens automatically, and your manual additions of non-step exercise) and all your food/water into My Fitness Pal.  Sync them.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Blakes:

What is great is you've decided to get started; believe me, this is the hardest part. Some thoughts to keep you motivated and in the groove...

1. You've just started. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your weight loss won't be dramatic at first. DON'T BE DISCOURAGED!

2. Use your FitBit as a tool/guide. It's not a magic wand that you put on and the weight drops off. It gives you ideas/indications of where you can step up your game or where you've faltered

3. Use the calorie counting function with the FitBit to track intake. You'll learn where you are consuming too much empty calories, and also see what you are taking in may or may not be keeping you from being hungry

4. Don't just use the gym to exercise; this will get boring after awhile. Take your dog (or iguana) for a walk. Find a buddy to go walking/running/biking/hiking with you. Don't do it alone! You need allies!

5. Patience, Grasshopper (...if you remember the show Kung Fu...)! You are a human being; not a computer or machine. If weight loss were simple, it wouldn't take such effort or time. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to get it off

6. Try to enjoy yourself! For goodness sake, we've got enough to depress, anger and annoy us including our everyday jobs. Make this effort something fun! Change up your routine as often as you can and smile. You will be suprised at how this will change your attitude and outlook. And weight loss!

Care & Prayers

David Jones

Best Answer
0 Votes

that's really helpful as i am crossing over and getting a little confused, as to what goes where. I can work with your suggestion. thank you for  taking the time to reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi DavidMD

that is a great post, thank you very much indeed. i am really loving the fitbit for the extra motivation. i set myself a goal of achieving 10,000 steps today, and what an amazing feeling it was when it buzzed at me, i almost wanted to do a happy dance in the street. yayyyyyy

i do want the weight off overnight, i am sure the fat fairy just came and added it on over night 😉  but know that its not going to happen. I have started exercise classes that i enjoy as that has to be key, enjoy it whilst doing it. the walk today for 2 hours much to my surprise was great too. Will keep reading your post as that is great to read. thank you 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, sounds like you are on the right track. Weightloss is always a struggle and is a lifestyle. This coming from a girl who has been overweight her whole life and finally had enough and hit my limit. So far I have dropped 70 pounds and it feels great and I am still trying to lose more. I would love for us to encourage one another to take off this weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Blakes - way to go making the huge leap to choosing to make a change! That alone is an enormous step! I know I'm really bad about having "just one" little taste here and another there. The calorie counter holds me accountable, which is nice because if I want 4 Thin Mint girl scout cookies for dessert it tells me I have to go walk for a bit to get them.  I'm also super competitive, so the steps counter on my HR helps with motivation at work (I'm 1-on-1 special ed, so there's a lot of sitting). I suggest a combination of gym and generally just moving in your day - get up and walk for just a couple minutes every hour, climb the stairs in your house for 5 min after dinner, whatever. The other thing that helped me was signing up for (and committing to) a 5k - just a little extra push to work towards, plus a deadline, got me started. Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you want a little competition!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I find the challenges motivating , it pushes me to get moving . Sometimes when I want that extra snack or glass of wine i tell myself o have to have x amount of steps to have it. I like seeing all green on my fitbit dashboard so I really push myself.
if you would like you can friend me and we can motivate each other .
fitbit.com/user/2GH84K
Best Answer
0 Votes