Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here....

Hiya!  I just got my fitbit flex last week and so far I love it!  Hoping to lose about 60lbs and I really think this cool little gadget will help me.

I have a major stumbling block coming up that will temporarily derail me and I'm not looking forward to it at all.  I have knee surgery in the beginning of May and I won't be allowed to weight-bear for 2 months and then intense physio for months afterwards.  

Trying to stay positive about it and hey...I can always get back to it as soon as I'm able.  Until then though, I'm going to get in all the walking that I can!

Feel free to add me  🙂

~ Heather ~

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Sorry about your poor knee!  If it's any encouragement, in my experience (60 pounds lost!) it's more about what I eat than how much I exercise.  I had to take off due to strained hamstrings and a torn hip socket afrer a fall but I was able to continue to lose weight.  On days I've eaten a little bit over, I've tried to increase exercise to offset the eating but it never worked. (I record all food on the computer and weigh myself every day, so I quickly learn what works and what does not.)  I've had so much luck with very high protein and 30 grams carbs/day, myself.  I do believe in exercise, however and I hope to run/walk a 5k this weekend.  The fitbit is a great motivator!  Best wishes - 60 lbs off feels great, I assure you!  🙂 

Best Answer

thanks!  That's very encouraging to hear.  Such a bummer that I'll be laid up for majority of the summer, but it has to be done.  I'm quickly becoming addicted to this little sucker!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit community! Sorry to hear about your knee, but hopefully all goes well and you'll be up and going again in no time!

Best Answer

thank you!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @boxerlover! I've been there, so I know what it feels. Smiley Frustrated

I'm very glad to hear that you have such a positive attitude and will to go on. I'm sure you will recover very soon and you will be back in the game!

I wish you the best. 

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer

Hi @boxerlover - "Derail" you! No way, you won't let that happen.

Why? Because you have a plan. If you can't walk after surgery, you will find non weight-bearing activities to do that will keep you active. A little swimming here and there, resistance bands (which you can do pretty much anywhere, with dozens of moves available that will spare your knee, and which can combine both resistance training and cardio), dumbbells sitting in a chair, sit ups, pullups, all kinds of abs workout laying on the floor... the list goes on and on. 

So don't worry about it and conserve that energy for your recovery period instead. But above all, avoid rushing things following surgery. Make sure to give your body a chance to repair itself. Your physician will likely give you advice regarding the gradual re-introduction of weight-bearing activities, which you should follow to the letter.

Have a nice day. And try not to worry about the surgery itself - I have a neighbour who had one done last year and it was a piece of cake - he happens to be a medical doctor; and yes, before you asked, he followed his surgeon's advice to the letter and his recovery was relatively painless and quick. And so will yours!

TW

Best Answer

Well said @TandemWalker!

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer