Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Losing Weight

Good afternoon!

I've been going at this by myself, but I finally decided to stop in and see what others may say.

In the past (while I was in college), I was very active, but a couple of years ago I got a full-time job, marriage and all the fun responsibilities, so I stopped working out like I used to (7 days a week, with breaks only if I had a cold).

I've been bringing myself back into it, but the weight doesn't seem to be coming off. It's frustrating! I only weight myself once a week on a Monday, to log it before I start the week off. For the past 3 of those, I barely saw any change, apart from 2 pounds initially.

Hence, a question of how accurate is FitBit tracking. I tend to presume it's not AWFULLY accurate, in terms of calorie burn during exercise, but what about other aspects?

I work out 6 days a week for 1.5 hours (intensive circuit for 30 minutes & elliptical for 30 minutes before and after that), my average calorie intake for a day is around 1500, which is a comfortable range for me, and allows me the benefit of eating a bit more on the weekends, when I want to have a meal out with family, for example.

Still, the fact that the weight isn't coming off is frustrating. What could be an issue? Just looking for feedback from people who've been through the process.

My averages / day:

Steps - 12000

Floors - 7

Miles - 5.2

Calorie Burn - 4000

Active Minutes - 125

Stats:

Height - 6ft

Weight, atm: 262lbs

To note after all that: I do have a lot of muscle. I did close combat martial arts for a while, so I have absolutely zero issue with exercise in terms of intensity (it's hard as hell, but my body can manage it still). Obviously, it's not perfect and I want to die after each workout, but I don't feel like I'm working at max capacity, yet.

I don't feel restricted with food, either, but I am wondering if FitBit tracks calories well. I eat almost the same thing every day though, and it's fine accourding to MyFitnessPal, as well.

Any ideas?

Best Answer
270 REPLIES 270

https://coach.nine.com.au/2018/05/03/07/12/why-cant-i-lose-weight

this is an article i came across. it gives a few ideas. if anybody disagrees.....i'm just the messenger

Best Answer

That sounds like healthy weight loss to me.
I would guess you are looking at a 400-500 calorie/day deficit?  It takes time to lose 🙂 Keep going

Best Answer

I have 1000 calorie deficit per day.

I mostly eat lean mince beef, or chicken with veg for dinner and some fruit for lunch and oats and fruit for breakfast. 

Occassionlly I’ll have an apple and peanut butter as a snack.

I do mostly running for exercise, with stretches and body weight exercises and using some dumbbells.

Best Answer

@viexon wrote:

I've been eating 1200 calories for 4 months and with an hour exercise everyday and lost 7kg in 4 months. Going from a BMI of 33 to a BMI of 30.8. 

@viexon: if I got my math right, you’re a tall gal (178cm = 5’10). At your age (21-yo, according to your profile), your calculated BMR alone is 1800-1900 calories. With your activity level, your total energy expenditure (again, calculated) is probably around 2500 calories. You’ve been eating far too less for too long.

You may want to have a look at the Losing All Your Weight At Once video by Dr. Mike Israetel. For people who want/need to lose a lot of weight, he makes the case for alternating phases of weight loss (no more than three months) and phases of maintenance (two months or more). I think what would suit you at this stage is a period of maintenance, during which you would be eating significantly more than your current 1200 calories.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I’m very short, 156cm. My BMR is 1400 

Best Answer

OK, I solved the equation based on the knowlegde that starting weight was BMI 33.0, current weight was starting weight - 7 kg and current weight is BMI 30.8. However, at 156cm, the difference between BMI 33.0 and 30.8 is 5.2 kg according to my calculations. Never mind, I still think there’s a case for not being in a large deficit for too long in one stretch. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
Hi DominiqueThanks a lot for your reply. I am actually 165 cm tall and 55 yo. I can now look back to 6 months of 3hrs cross fit and 6 hours of tennis and one hour of yoga each week. My appetite has greatly increased and I have put on 7kg instead of looking weight. Admittedly I dont count calories. Our busy season has started and I have stopped cross fit and go for walks instead.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

@viexon wrote:

I'm finding it extremely frustrating, I get on average 10,000 steps per day with at least 12 flights of stairs and around 60 active minutes. 
I've been eating 1200 calories for 4 months and with an hour exercise everyday and lost 7kg in 4 months. Going from a BMI of 33 to a BMI of 30.8.

Hi @viexon.  No wonder you are frustrated.  Four months is a long time to be eating just 1200 calories/day, and that you are not losing that level makes me think that either your body has adapted to a very low calorie diet, or that you are missing something like liquid calories (for example milk, cream sugar in coffee, sodas, alcohol) in your food recording. 

But I am assuming that your body has adapted and your metabolism has simply slowed down.  That's why the video the @Dominique posted about diet breaks is worth watching.  However, maybe when women who get stuck in your situation see Dr. Mike Israetel, they just turn it off because he looks like a big bulky muscle head and can't possibly have anything relevant to say to their situation.  

I ran across Christine Salus last year who has a video entitled Why Your Metabolism Sucks and How to Fix It. She is a little wordy, but I think she has a good sense of why very low calorie diets work for a while and then stop, what to do about it (eat at maintenance for a while) and also why it is so hard for someone to mentally take steps necessary to fix a slow metabolism.  

Take heart.  You have had some success, so you know it is possible to lose weight.  Now it is time to adapt your strategy so you can start moving toward you goal again.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Good Morning Gecko, 

It sounds like you have done intense work outs in the past and that you still have intensity in your current work out but the issue that seems to grab my focus is that A) you say you eat the same thing every day and B) it sounds like your workout is the same every time. Another way to see evidence of the issue are to identify target areas in your body. Its likely that areas that you want to notice a difference in aren't the areas that you are focusing on in your work out. I struggled with this too for a while and still kind of do because I like to cling to my comfortable zone of running and as long as I hit 3.5 miles a day, 5 times a week I think I'm good but the truth is that to see results we need to shock our bodies by changing both our diets and our work outs. 

Try adding a spin class to replace one of your work outs and maybe doing weights for two of the days instead of getting back on to the elliptical after the high intensity circuits. Pushing and working on different areas of your body will give it a wake up call and should have you seeing results for at least 3 weeks then it will be time for another change. 

In terms of diet I would try switching it up as well. Although you are consistent with calorie count your body may not be getting the right nutrients and holding on to a lot of the nutrients that it does get as fat since its gets it all the time. I tried a book, "eating for your type" and it worked for me. You may also want to try looking at meal plans that help you with variety while still keep you within a calorie limit. It does seem like you also may not be eating enough though as 1500 calories a day for someone who is 6 ft. tall may be too low. You should try programs online that may provide you with a better calorie limit for your size. 

Best Answer

Hi,

I would recommend working out less, high intensity every other days. Have a 16/8 Intermittent Fasting and eat High Fat, Low CH, normal protein diet. You will see results within short period of time. Fitbit is not a solution fo weight management, only a monitor. Weight management's most important part is diet!

I hope it helps.

Best regards

Zsolt

Best Answer
Thanks for your suggestion!
Best Answer

I am having the same issue right now. I fell like i have hit a plateau in my weight loss, the scale is not moving, but my clothes are fitting better. SO you are right, i might be building muscle right now then the fat will just shred off once my muscles are toned up  a bit more. 

Best Answer

Hi! I started trying to lose weight 3 weeks ago after having gained 3 pounds over 4 weeks studying abroad. While gaining 3 pounds I tried to track my calories while not setting restrictions because I just wanted to enjoy the experience. I was eating an avg of 1800 cals, taking 17,000 steps a day, and working out 4 days a week. Once I had my fun for 4 weeks, I got tired of eating poorly and ate at a 1500 calorie daily average for 3 weeks. I still had a 17,000 step average and worked on getting my 3 mile running time lower, attempting that 3 times a week and doing abs after instead of my usual workouts. I have since gained 1 pound of weight over these past 3 weeks and I don't know why. I would just love to try to lose the weight I gained in the next couple of weeks and don't know why its not working. Anyone have ideas? Studying abroad is so hard for losing weight but I want to be back to my usual shape by the time I go home for summer. I feel like I am hungry on the days when I eat 1350 calories since I am exercising so much so I can't imagine that dropping lower than 1400 is smart. Any help is appreciated! 

Best Answer

Hi,

I know you are desperate and try everything. Sometimes less is more.

Please do not weigh yourself every day, only once a week at maximum.

Try to reschedule your eating and not restrict the calories.

Leave out breakfast and eat first at 2PM and last 6PM. Drink nearly 3 liters of water every day and leave out any added sugar or processed food.

You will be pleasantly surprised. 

Best regards

Zsolt

Best Answer
3 pounds isnt much to worry about. thats 2 months you have been doing alot of exercise...working out... you will be hungry as your body needs food for fuel. its demanding food from you. the pound you have gained.... working out will make muscle. muscle weighs 4 times what fat weighs.

if you are concerned about a 3 pound gain and a 1 pound gain, you must be a light person. i can gain that from eating pizza.

in my eyes...... some people focus too much on the weight when they start to grow muscle. if you are working out then the weight is just a number. you cant compare to what ideals are supposed to be because they dont take into account muscle increases, only the number.

i would take muscle weight over the ideal weight any day. a bit of muscle makes males and females look much better and healthier.
Best Answer

@Ideasforyou: if you are in the healthy weight range (as I suspect you are), your weight can perfectly well fluctuate ± 3 lbs without the need to worry about it. As a woman, your hormonal cycle alone would explain such fluctuations. You probably fit in the same clothes as before and nobody would notice/care that the number on the scale is 3 pounds higher.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

What are you trying buddy right now for your weight loss and how long? There are some good plan and recipes which can help you to lose weight. Anyways, I have had the same issue and trying to lose weight naturally. Did you hear about Pritkin DietThe Pritikin diet is known to be one of the healthiest diets ever created, and more than 100 studies have been done. The studies all agree on the fact that this diet is perfect for your body, and can prevent heart diseases, hypertension, and diabetes. But most importantly, this diet can help you lose weight. 

Hope it will help you to bring good results. All the best!

Best Answer

If you feel you are too busy all the time, then try incorporating fitness into your daily activities. Do leg raises under your desk, drink more water for your metabolism and to help you feel full and walk wherever you can. Get involved with your kids to do some exercise whenever possible and just make it normal to do plenty of active things. You'll then do it automatically and will lose weight in no time! Remember, it's not just about weight, it's about feeling happy with your body and remembering you are perfect how you are! Good luck! 🙂

Best Answer

Fitbits do not count calories reliably at all... Not even remotely close to what you actually burn. It overestimates by so much that it's laughable, really.

I've calculated that to lose about 0,7 kilos per week, I need to be in a 25% deficit. That's about 600 calories deficit.

To achieve that, I eat 2200 calories a day, while my fitbit tells me to eat 4000 to get a 700 calorie deficit.

Here is an awesome article on weight loss, with the most accurate formula (including an easy to use calculator) to get you going! If you follow this, you will lose weight, and in the healthiest, easiest way possible! (Loosing weight is hard, so it's struggle no matter what, but this helps a ton) I've struggled with weight loss for years, but after reading this article, I am finally achieving my goal. I still use my fitbit, but for all the other functions, like sleeptracking, and logging training etc. Everything other than the caloric tracking.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/macronutrient-calculator/

Best Answer

If I ate the amount of calories Fitbit and mfp told me to eat, I’d be like a sumo wrestler

Even now, mfp says my goal calorie is 1900, set to active and lose 2 lbs per week, i’ve eaten just under 1800 with just over 1200 calories to go after syncing Fitbit, if I ate those 1200 calories I’d be several lbs heavier in the morning

I suppose from the hospital stays throughout the years has damaged my metabolism, add to that cutting calories to lose weight, working evenings and shift hours throughout the day for over 15 years

Best Answer
0 Votes