Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not loosing weight despite serious calories reduction

ANSWERED

When I started out, I needed to loose about 12-13 lbs. I know that doesn't sound like much but that is what makes it all the more difficult. 

Of course the first 3 lbs came right off in barely a week or so, the rest has been a true struggle.

This past week, I have been exercising daily if not even twice a day, eating around 1000 calories (so a defiicit of 750-1000 calories per day!), no alcohol, drink an average of 100 fl oz of water per day, and I got the scale this morning to only see 1.2lbs gone.  WTF!  The week before, when I had my period and with an average of 800 calorie deficit per day, I didn't loose anything!!   This is totally depressing. 

I don't see how I can eat even less and still be functional.  Thoughts?

(I'm now 139lbs, 5'6, 45 y/o and aiming for 132lbs). 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You must eat more calories because your body thinks it is starving and holding on to the fat.  Our bodies are so cool like that. They know what to do when we don't.   You can't go below 1000 calories especially when exercising and expect to lose weight.  It won't happen.  I don't deprive myself of anything. If I have something high in calories, I eat a very small portion and make sure that I exercise.  I lose weight.  I have lost 21 lbs in 2 1/2 months. Yes, some weeks are better than others but you just keep going and do better next week. I try to eat really good with protein, fiber and fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, Sunday - Friday. On Saturday I allow myself to have a treat of my choosing. Small portions and calorie counting seems to be working.  You might also want to try to eat your fruit before noon.  These things are working for me when Weight Watchers, Atkins, and every other fad diet I have ever tried has failed.  The important thing for me is I am not gaining. I am not feeling deprived.  Good luck and  maybe with a few changes your body will respond. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
143 REPLIES 143

The average loss for a good weight loss is .5-2# per week. Your complaining that you lost 1.2#???? You lost. Its not a race. Your not going to lose massive pounds. Especially with what you want to lose. Your lucky you lost 1.2 Pounds. Most with little to lose only lose .2 a week

So be happy . You lost

Also it really has nothing to do with how much you exercise it has to do with what you put in your mouth,

You Lose weight in the Kitchen, but you get fit in the gym

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

In addition to Wendy's very sound observations, look not only at calories but at the quality of food you are eating.  Curtail processed food, eat lots of vegetables and high quality protein, make sure you get adequate fat in your diet (many nutrients depend on fat to be processed by the body), and get good quality sleep.  Rather than crash dieting, think of eating in such a way that is sustainable for the long term.

And, remember that the scale will fluctuate naturally depending on fluid retention, etc.  

Best Answer

I too have been struggling to lose weight. I am doing 10,000 steps daily while following the alternate day diet where you comsume only 500 calories per day and the next day you can eat normally, anything you want! So far I have been on this for 6 weeks and have only lost 10 pounds. I am 66 years young and still working 3 days a week at a desk job so the 10,000 steps are a reach for me on my working days. I have also yesterday pulled something in my left knee and it pains me with every step I take so I've been taking it easier.n:osing weight is not an easy struggle especially over 30  where your metabolism slows down. Keep at it and we will overcome.

Best Answer

I eat extremely healthy and balanced. Whole grains/cereal in the morning, salad and a protein at lunch, a fruit as a snack, and then soup with veggies and chicken or a lean meat or fish for dinner and have been staying under 900 calories so I doubt it is what I am eating that is stoping me from loosing weight. 

Best Answer

I have a friend who swears by the "fast diet" and I have been meaning to try it. The problem is the high intensity exercise I tend to do and I'm already whipped out on 800-1000 calorie intake, not sure how one exercises on a 500 calorie day. 

ironically, since I've been monitoring my steps, calorie intake and output, and heart rate, I have found it very interesting to see that in the last few weeks since I've been on a diet and seriously trying to loose some weight that I've obviously become a bit healthier, my hear rate on average during spin class has gone down and I guess I'm more efficient at burning calories -- although obviously a plus, it STINKS on the side of I basically need to eat even less in order to burn through my remaining fat. 

I know I need to keep at it but there are some days it is a bit dishearting to see all the hard more barely move the needle.

Best Answer

@WendyB I am happy I lost weight. The think is that I have been busting my butt and thought I would see a bigger pay off - like 2lbs.  I understand average loss is .5-2 but I am also not doing what the "average" person does to loose weight. 

I also disagree, although it is important what one eats (which I am very careful about) - if you sit on your ass all day and don't do any exercise, you will not burn calories the way someone will who is active.

Best Answer

When you exercise a lot you need to eat more. 900-1000 calories a day is not healthly. Women should not go uner 1200 a day.

You do need to eat to lose weight

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I disagree with anyone eating less than 1200 calories a day. Your body is staying the same because it thinks it is starving so it is storing fat. People need to eat a balanced diet where they eat enough veggies and fruit with protein and good fats and some whole grains. It is about what you eat not neccessarily the calories in general. Losing weight comes from the kitchen and the nutrition you put in your body, and being strong and fit comes from your exercise. I understanding eating out is hard not to do do, but if someone really wants to lose weight they will try to have a balanced diet and not eat processed food. Plus you need to drink plenty of water.

Best Answer

@jwilburn I eat an extremely healthy and balanced diet - no processed foods at all - I do not skip meals and not being a very larger person to start with, if I eat more than 1200 calories, I barely loose weight.  That may be fine for a larger woman, or a man, or someone younger.  

It isn't just about counting calories, I agree, but my frustration is how carefully I have been about everything I eat, have been well hydraded, and exercise and didn't see the results I had hoped to. 

Best Answer

@ScubaAlex wrote:

@jwilburn I eat an extremely healthy and balanced diet - no processed foods at all - I do not skip meals and not being a very larger person to start with, if I eat more than 1200 calories, I barely loose weight.  That may be fine for a larger woman, or a man, or someone younger.  

It isn't just about counting calories, I agree, but my frustration is how carefully I have been about everything I eat, have been well hydraded, and exercise and didn't see the results I had hoped to. 

So some good advice given that may be opposite of what you are doing.

But you are sure the way you are doing it with no results should work.

What's that definition of insanity .......

With so little to lose, and giving your body less than half of what you are burning, you expect a non-healthy body to work with your efforts? Nope, as you've experienced.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Have you examined your foods for hidden calories and percentages of fat and sodium? I never thought of calories within watermelon or sodium in my fat free milk yet there they were!  

I have lost 60 lbs - the last 40 via Weight Watchers but as a lifetime member I struggled with motivation while on maintenance. Now I gained around 25 lbs. back and am using the FitbitOne, but not Weight Watchers . I have having similar problems with losing the weight and dealing with the calories but today I did some digging deeper into my food logs and exercising and noticed some trends. After seriously cutting calories while exercising such as cardio and weight training 3xs per week, my weight goes up.. I have lost around two pounds and inches however I discovered my body fat went up a percentage!! Low and behold my diet - I mean that to be the way I am eating, not eating to lose weight- was higher in fat% that I thought and so was my sodium.

By the way, a slow and steady weight loss allows for your body to adjust for the new routine and weight. 

AuntyT
Best Answer

You must eat more calories because your body thinks it is starving and holding on to the fat.  Our bodies are so cool like that. They know what to do when we don't.   You can't go below 1000 calories especially when exercising and expect to lose weight.  It won't happen.  I don't deprive myself of anything. If I have something high in calories, I eat a very small portion and make sure that I exercise.  I lose weight.  I have lost 21 lbs in 2 1/2 months. Yes, some weeks are better than others but you just keep going and do better next week. I try to eat really good with protein, fiber and fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, Sunday - Friday. On Saturday I allow myself to have a treat of my choosing. Small portions and calorie counting seems to be working.  You might also want to try to eat your fruit before noon.  These things are working for me when Weight Watchers, Atkins, and every other fad diet I have ever tried has failed.  The important thing for me is I am not gaining. I am not feeling deprived.  Good luck and  maybe with a few changes your body will respond. 

Best Answer

@Tweety64 I am going to try to healthily up my calorie intake by a bit and see if that makes a difference in the next few weeks.  Like you, Saturday tends to be my treat day (usually with a nice wine). 

I also do small portions and 3 main meals, 2 smaller meals. 

Fruit wise, I try to have it with breakfast when I have some high fiber cereal or chia/oatmeal.  Or I eat a fruit as an afternoon snack, on an empty stomach which helps breakdown the sugars better.

I know I'm at the hardest point of loosing 5-6lbs and am aiming to do so by my vacation August 22nd.  We'll see how close I get.

Best Answer

Your weight loss sounds right on target. 

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

When you exercise a lot you need to eat more. 900-1000 calories a day is not healthly. Women should not go uner 1200 a day.

That is absolutely false.

Best Answer

@Tweety64 wrote:

You must eat more calories because your body thinks it is starving and holding on to the fat.  Our bodies are so cool like that. They know what to do when we don't.   You can't go below 1000 calories especially when exercising and expect to lose weight.  It won't happen.

Oh please.  Don't post such nonsense.  Of COURSE you will lose weight if you eat fewer calories.  And you certainly can go below 1000 a day if you are eating the proper foods. The body certainly is not "starving" not does it think it is.  I always have to stay at 1000 or below to lose.  1100 or 1200 is maintenance for me.  Not every body works the same.

Best Answer
I agree! I started 4/20 and have lost 48 pounds. I fluctuate between 500 and 875 calories a day. I walk 6 to 8 miles a day. It is working for me!
Best Answer

If your goal is to lose weight and you don't care how much of it is muscle mass, feel free to go below 1000 calories a day.  Expect a long-lasting impact in terms of lower-calorie daily burn, not only because of the lost muscle mass & body weight.

Best Answer
Maxiti, what is your degree in? I am under the care of a doctor.
Best Answer