Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not losing weight but exercising and counting calories/macros?

ANSWERED

I was wondering if anyone had any tips!

-I am an overweight college student (deals with frequent stress). I workout 4-6 times a week religiously! It's my me time away from school! I've done only cardio, and now I do cardio and lifting weights (basically switched it up trying to see what would help)

-I've done the low calorie thing (between 1300-1600) with no luck! So I read about how if you raise your calories while working out it may help to lose weight as well! I raised them to between 1800 and 2,200 also with no luck. 

-Then i began counting my macros. Making sure my percentages were not only what were suggested but close to what i had researched! Still, no luck. 

-So basically, here I am hardcore lifting twice a week and doing cardio 3-4 times a week, counting my macros (keeping a lower fat count and higher protein count) as well as keeping my calories under 2,000 a day and making sure to burn no less than 500 calories per workout. I am not losing weight, I don't feel slimmer and i'm feeling pretty unmotivated!

If anyone has any suggestions as to what i may be doing wrong or what may help i would be forever grateful!

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Sleep is important as well.  Your body repairs itself during your sleep, rebuilding torn muscle from your workouts.  I'm currently taking 6 mg of Melatonin and 2000 mg of Magnesium Oxide every night before bed to help me sleep.   I think I need 7 hours a night of "good quality sleep" meaning my sleep insights need to be at the max benchmark in the REM and Deep sleep ranges.  I find I am more rested when that happens.  I usually end up getting 6 hours.  Yes, I have two kids in college, I understand late nights and parties and such.   Try to get good deep sleep and at least 6-7 hours of it.  Alcohol prevents you from sleeping well, so avoid large amounts.  I'm 269 lbs, so these numbers should be calculated based on your weight.  Most people should start with less than 5mg of melatonin.    Also, use Magnesium Citrate instead of Magnesium Oxide, it absorbs in your body better.   I bought the wrong thing, and insist on using up the 2 big bottles I bought before I buy Magnesium Citrate.

Best Answer

I average 1300 burned in a day 

and 

46,000 steps a week. 

I try to do only HIIT workouts 2 times a week. And I measure and weigh my food why am I not losing weight?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

Today I learned that the calories on the label can have a large error of margin, sometimes up to 25%. 
That might explain why you have trouble losing weight. 

Best Answer

@SarahDB  Sarah,  You are responding to a very old post.  Always check the date because for some unknown reason you can't get the latest post to be seen to begin with.  

I have read may studies that say when people start an exercise program they eat more and they DON'T lose weight.  Exercise is critical for good health but doesn't help you lose weight.  No one wants to believe that though.  You can lose just as much weight with no exercise just by watching what you eat.   I am very healthy by mistake, thinking exercise would help with weight management.   

I too have read that calories posted on packages isn't accurate..  Welcome to this forum.    Hope your diet is going well even though calories posted might be wrong.

Best Answer

Have you looked into low car / keto diets? For a lot of people eat less and exercise more is not working - that main reason is that the metabolism is broken, based on all the crappy food we have been eating for years ... other keywords to google are "carb intolerance" and "insulin resistance".

There is more and more research (like in "actual data" not like in "some so called experts opinion" that suggests that low fat diets are useless at best, and even unhealthy. A very good resource is at https://www.dietdoctor.com/
They also have a podcast on YouTube where experts with some actual experience discuss their research.

I have been doing low carb for three years now and never felt better - lost 60 lbs of with - don't let anybody tell you this is not sustainable, or unhealthy. Don't just believe opinions, get some actual data - and learn how to read actual studies, and distinguish good studies from the marginal or misleading

It's your body - you are in charge - you can do this

Best Answer